Fake game music (non-orchestral :D)

Sil

I'm taking a short break from all the orchestral arranging to try my hand at some rock-oriented game music using old fashioned synthesizers instead of samples. Here's what I've done so far:

http://jeremyrobson.com/ffbatt.mp3 - a little Final Fantasy-inspired battle music

http://jeremyrobson.com/boss.mp3 - a little ELP-inspired boss music, with the distortion turned way up for some reason

http://jeremyrobson.com/megaman.mp3 - this one sounds familiar, but I'm pretty sure it's original and I'm not ripping anyone off, but please let me know if I am

Things having too many parts seems to throw a lot of people's ears off or something, but if you ask me, this is not too disjunctive. Considering how much music you listen to, and how structurally straight forward most popular music is, don't you ever become able to predict what's gonna happen or just get bored with it? I tell ya, if I hear the chorus of a song played more than twice in the same song, I'm usually tired of it already. And after the first chorus, I don't feel like hearing a second verse that's based on the music of the first verse until I've heard some stuff in between them yo.

I can't figure out why I'm the only person this has happened to.

I think one of the reasons people aren't willing to invest in listening to a lot of classical music is because it sounds too complicated at first. It's easier to give up than it is to listen to something difficult over a few times before you begin to memorize, but once you do begin to memorize it, I think the payoff is worth it. For example, Stravinsky's Rite of Spring seemed terribly complicated the first time I heard it, but now it's actually quite predictable and quaint. I heard that Japanese composers like Uematsu are especially influenced by progressive rock bands from the 70s like Emerson, Lake & Palmer, so I tried a boss battle theme in their Tarkus style, which is just as disjunctive, if not more. You can hear its influences in tracks like Dancing Mad, One Winged Angel, etc.

But everyone is correct in saying it is disjunctive and seemingly random at times. That's what I was going for since I love composers like Shostakovich who through-compose pieces to fend off stagnation.

I think one of the reasons people aren't willing to invest in listening to a lot of classical music is because it sounds too complicated at first. It's easier to give up than it is to listen to something difficult over a few times before you begin to memorize, but once you do begin to memorize it, I think the payoff is worth it. For example, Stravinsky's Rite of Spring seemed terribly complicated the first time I heard it, but now it's actually quite predictable and quaint. I heard that Japanese composers like Uematsu are especially influenced by progressive rock bands from the 70s like Emerson, Lake & Palmer, so I tried a boss battle theme in their Tarkus style, which is just as disjunctive, if not more. You can hear its influences in tracks like Dancing Mad, One Winged Angel, etc.

But everyone is correct in saying it is disjunctive and seemingly random at times. That's what I was going for since I love composers like Shostakovich who through-compose pieces to fend off stagnation.

Wow. That was a nice answer. Hahaha.