OCR Firefox Extension?

DarkeSword

To start: This isn't official by any means.

I was wondering if there was any interest in some kind of OCR Firefox extension. Maybe some kind of sidebar or toolbar, or maybe a XUL app for organizing remixes or something. I dunno. I wouldn't know where to begin as far as programming it; I'm not good at application development.

Any ideas, thoughts? What would you want in an OCR browser companion?

I have actually thought about making one of these multiple times. Never got around to it, though.

Mine was basically a toolbar that let you search for mixes, bookmark mixes you like, etc. I don't really know how useful anything like this would be, though. Actually, a built-in player for ormgas would be pretty slick.

I have actually thought about making one of these multiple times. Never got around to it, though.

Mine was basically a toolbar that let you search for mixes, bookmark mixes you like, etc. I don't really know how useful anything like this would be, though. Actually, a built-in player for ormgas would be pretty slick.

This is exactly what I'm talking about; things that you can't normally do with regular Firefox features. Maybe a built-in OCR search engine, forum quicklinks, etc.

I like the player idea too. Maybe use a last.fm flash player (so OCR's bandwidth doesn't poop out). Integrated ormgas would be nice.

An OCR search engine that mirrors the Quick Search on the sidebar. Some kind of streaming player to hear Ormgas over.

Okay, I like those ideas. How about making the Russian Remix Roulette a part of that plug in? That'd be pretty cool too. Also, you might think about some kind of forum update feature that lets you see the newest posts on the forums. Kinda like the RSS for remixes, only for the forums instead.

Might be rather difficult to execute though, I'm not entirely sure as I don't have nearly enough expertise in this area.

Plugging my favorite thing that happened to this site ever:

Stylish extension and Rama's css files.

Removes white-blindingliness, and very tweakable if you know any CSS. Browsing OCR without it really confuses me, but eh. Recommended for at least a look.

But otherwise, for a site-specific extension, no, we don't have one, as far as I know.

I'm not asking if we HAVE one. I think I would know. I'm asking what people would like to see in one.

(1)An OCR search engine that mirrors the Quick Search on the sidebar. (2)Some kind of streaming player to hear Ormgas over.

Okay, I like those ideas. (3)How about making the Russian Remix Roulette a part of that plug in? That'd be pretty cool too. Also, you might think about some kind of forum update feature that lets you see the (4)newest posts on the forums. Kinda like the RSS for remixes, only for the forums instead.

Might be rather difficult to execute though, I'm not entirely sure as I don't have nearly enough expertise in this area.

1. Why? If it's only going to mimic the sidebar, you've already got that.

2. This would be an okay idea, I guess, but I'd much rather someone finish an OCR winamp skin

3. This would be pretty neat, yes.

4. are you fucking batty? we don't need anything like that

Pfft, I don't read posts. D: Sorry, DS.

Hm, I'd like to see a fixed sidebar (not sure what web designers call them - they stick to the viewing window, and don't scroll by like the normal page - is that what you guys mean by "permanent"?). RSS feed goes in the sidebar (as a drop-down, as someone suggested - that would be slick). Echoing the built-in ormgas player suggestions.

Even better, a ormgas extension that sits in the status bar and runs whatever shoutcast stream they're using. I don't want a separate program/use WMP to listen to it - just a small player that I can run from Firefox.

However, if you wanted to be totally ambitious, how about an extension that lets each user customize the sidebar how they want? Whether they want the space dedicated to RSS feed, recently posted-in threads, or links to frequently-used pages... 'twould be ambitious, but quite amazing.

• 2 months later...

It's not much.. but I kinda TRIED to make a search engine for OCRemix. Three actually.

(Kinda makes me wish nobody would see this as necro posting..)

http://www.valhallaark.com/~speedy/Hosting/firefoxocremixsearchplugins.zip

Add these to your <Firefox Directory in Program Files>/searchplugins/ directory and you should have three nice new searches.

I tried to add the ocremix favicon, but it seems to be.. well, not working.

They are:

OCRemix Search Engine - Engine for the google search of the entire site- searches for remixes only though.

OCRemix Search Engine (Remix) - Engine for the Remix Quick Search

OCRemix Search Engine (Game) - Engine for the Game Quick Search

If they dont work correctly, let me know. Preferably by email, since I dont check the forum that often.

God... you people and your sidebars. You just have to have them on everything, don't you? DON'T YOU?!

But serioously, seeing as how OCR already has a sidebar, having one in FireFox would be quite redundant. And if you have a skin that's currently omitting the sidebar (like the ones Rama made a while back), then why not simply remove that skin and use the sidebar that's already there? As for browsing the newest remixes, wouldn't it be simpler to just put that option under the "browse" tab that's along the top of every OCR page?