OCR00826 - Tetris (GB) "Gift from Moscow"

Disco Dan

Tetris 'Gift from Moscow'

Ok, for those of you who heard McVaffe's last Tetris arrangement, and are expecting something similar or are expecting ANYthing with a big bass funky beat, save djpretzel the bandwidth. BUT, if you're looking for an arrangement that expands upon an original in new and intuitive ways while demonstrating flexibility and an inherent grasp of music theory, get this mix. McVaffe, when not creating danceable masterpieces, has the capability to weave an intricate sonic texture that reminds you that there's more to a good remix than a funky beat and a good bassline. This is an example of the "beatless vaf" as he dubbed it. Take a listen if you want, but don't expect to dance.

DC

Hrm, think this is my first post, figured this was as good a mix as any to do it on. *grin*

Anyway, McV puts out his usual high-quality remix, with some nice variations - I personally like the intro and how it segways oh-so-smoothly into the main theme, nice little build-up - on the theme that we have all come to know and love. What can I say? Kudos bigtime.

The remix itself sounds great, even if it isn't reall my taste of music. I think what keeps me listening to this is that it is the Tetris music, and not that it's a mix from McVaffe. Well, somebody already said it above:

don't expect the usual McV style in here. If you wanna dance, don't get it. If you like the tetris music, get it :)

--Begin Transmission--

Starting out this piece is a little surprising. McV is usually known for really complex, kick-ass songs, but here he's gone simpler--which is very nice. I can see myself drinking tea on the balcany of my high-class house to this song while looking out over the French (or German in this case) landscape. I like the simple sound to it. The samples are high quality (I was surprised to see that it was at 192kbps), so you know it's not going to sound like a cat on crack.

This piece starts out very niceley with what sounds like some sort of stringed duet, like a ballet. Very beautiful duet here. at 0'55", it starts to go into another song, and the duet continues until 1'34", where a piano takes over the melody. Very well done. Very nice piano samples here. At 1"52', it kicks up a notch with an acordian and other such "Ooomp-pah" instruments.

Once again. very well done. This is one of those songs that takes the original to new heights that couldn't be reached then. This is also one of those songs that--if it were on X-Box--I would replace the original song with this one, for it is far superior.

Good job, McVaffe. Glad to hear from you again. Keep up the great work.

--End Transmission--

McVaffe has both his fans and his detractors, but if you're among the former and not the latter you'll find this another A+ mix from him. It captures that Russian element of the original in a very whimsical yet completely new way. At times it's medieval, at times it sounds like the Tetris Polka. I was very pleased to see that McVaffe is back, fit, and still kicking bottom. :D

Pretty good stuff, I liked the uniqueness of it, and as usual for McVaffe - very well mixed and orchestrated. There is a nice solid beat which I loved, I can't tell if i like it more or less than his other tetris remix... Oh well, thankyou McVaffe, very well done

9/10

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

McVaffe's return to OCR was quite a fitting piece to announce his rearrival on All Hallow's Eave of last year. "Gift From Moscow" begins with a harpsichord playing a forty-five second introduction before going into Tetris' unforgettable title theme. The second part is then performed by a lone piano before another short intro sounds and percussion and bass join the mix. A smashing accordion picks up the lead melody from there, playing in a stunningly traditional style that makes the tune sound almost as if it came right out of Eastern Europe itself. The harpsichord picks up again with the bass, percussion, and accordion still in the background until it goes extensively into the tune played during part of the piece's intro. This Slavic-themed gift ends with the harpsichord on its own once again, slowly playing out the very last notes in a pretty, slow-tempo version of the second song from the piece's intro.

"Gift From Moscow" is certainly a great tune at least for me, because I am an avid fan of Germanic and Slavic traditional music and the baroque-to-early-classical themes of that forerunner of the piano, the harpsichord. McVaffe arranged Tetris' main theme so to make it appear as if it may never have been a video game theme at all, but rather a pleasant folksong from Poland or Chzekoslovakia, and used very high-quality sounds to complete the effect. This is a terrifically splendid rendition of that unforgettable block-breaking theme, and I strongly reccommend you at least give it a try. I can almost guarantee that you will enjoy it as immensly as I did.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

NOO!! SO close to exactly what I wanted!? The accordian part just turned me off to the song, it was good but I guess not my taste. The beginning piano intro which sounded nothing like the song was very cool! Maybe shorter would've been better and the actualy song played on the piano thingy was EXACTLY MY KIND OF MUSIC. I have always loved this song ever since I first heard it playing the GB Tetris at the dentist's. Good job though! Oh yes, this is also my first review and what a song to do it on, eh? Ahh..... Listening to the song now, the way it seamlessly goes into the music from the intro....Beautiful... but ack... accordian. Overall excellent job!

EDIT

I'm sorry, I just realized that this is a remix and I should listen to the actual song if I wanna hear that. I didn't mean to be mean if that's the way you took it. But I don't think my post is out of the rule boundaries so I'll leave it all in. =D

• 3 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00826 - Tetris (GB) "Gift from Moscow"