Radiohead's new album costs whatever you want

dannthr

Radiohead's new album, IN RAINBOWS, is on preorder and when you check out (the download version), you type in your own price.

You can pay as little or as much as you want.

http://www.radiohead.com/

Seems like a radical approach to the fact that the industry's standby commercial model isn't really working anymore. People will take it for free anyway, why bother using force on them with silly DRM? Let the fans pay what they feel its worth.

I don't know what it is about it, but I like it--it makes me want to pay like... 20 bucks or something for it.

This isn't exactly a new idea... the record label Magnatune has offered all of its albums at buyer-defined pricing for years. It does apparently work well for them so I imagine Radiohead will make a nice profit too. Of course, it helps that they've had major label backing and promotion, hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in them, and a huge name to go on.

You can buy the diskset instead for $80, and i'm beginning to see why they've done this:

DISCBOX

THIS CONSISTS OF THE NEW ALBUM, IN RAINBOWS, ON CD

AND ON 2 X 12 INCH HEAVYWEIGHT VINYL RECORDS.

A SECOND, ENHANCED CD CONTAINS MORE NEW SONGS, ALONG WITH DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHS AND ARTWORK.

THE DISCBOX ALSO INCLUDES ARTWORK AND LYRIC BOOKLETS.

ALL ARE ENCASED IN A HARDBACK BOOK AND SLIPCASE.

2 vinyls, extra tracks and artwork. Not everyone is going to want to buy all that.

The discbox is great for superfans--it feels more like what making money on art is supposed to be about: Merchandising.

Artistic works for sale is almost a silly concept when you consider what art MEANS to the world has nothing to do with dollars--or at least, I don't think idealistically it should.

But the discbox is like good merchandising.

Just as a note, I despise this band's music.

You just have to tell people about your bad taste in music every chance you get, don't you. :P

However, for 0.95 pounds total (after their hidden 0.45 pounds credit/debit card charge), I'm willing to give this a try.

And this is exactly why this type of marketing works. By cutting out the cost of pressing CDs, digital downloads are practically pure profit, and at the same time they get people who would never buy a CD to pay for their music. Also, the credit fee comes from the credit card companies, not them.

You just have to tell people about your bad taste in music every chance you get, don't you. :P

Pssh, a lot of people have called me a music god for my vast knowledge & assessment of music across the spectrum :razz: .

And this is exactly why this type of marketing works. By cutting out the cost of pressing CDs, digital downloads are practically pure profit, and at the same time they get people who would never buy a CD to pay for their music. Also, the credit fee comes from the credit card companies, not them.

Well, I normally buy CDs - however, I'm willing to spend a little money for digital downloads, but only like $2-3 tops for an album unless it's unavailable in any other form.

As for the credit/debit card fee - they did not tell me until the very final page, when the order was already processed. It's a bit underhanded to not prominently show it beforehand, if they even showed it at all. I was a bit peeved to only find out about the fee at the end.

Just as a note, I despise this band's music.

Just as a note, KILL U!

anyway, I think it's genious. They know that releasing a CD will only result in it being spread like anthrax around the globe while releasing a free mp3 download (that people feel bad about and will pay) together with the optional super-pack is a smart move.

Since you can't really torrent the LPs, the artwork or the super cool box they know that many fans will buy that. Giving the CD cheap to everyone else will just make the box-buyers more exclusive. Hence, more buyers.

Also, I like when people give away stuff cheap. much love.

Pssh, a lot of people have called me a music god for my vast knowledge & assessment of music across the spectrum :razz: .

There's a difference between being able to assess music and knowing whether or not it is good :P

At least their website is more possible to navigate now.

This is EXACTLY what any respectable artist should be doing. This makes it all about the music (instead of about marketing, desperation and profit schemes), and it really DOES make the money you receive equal to how much your music is appreciated. I've never heard of this concept before, and I love it.

I haven't really heard Radiohead... Or rather, I don't remember hearing any song I remember to be attributed to Radiohead, and don't care to find out what a *nearly* free album would be like. So spoke the guy who actively enjoys listening to Russian Folk music and Chants, phear meh!

You've probably heard Karma Police or Idioteque on the radio

Well I did. A lot.

When I was watching the Congressional Subcommittee for Consumer Protection's hearing on Black Media Stereotypes, there was an ex-record-industry-sap-turned-journalist who basically mentioned during her testimony that no music artist needs a record label anymore.

Tru-dat, sistah! (She's not really my sister)

Well, I normally buy CDs - however, I'm willing to spend a little money for digital downloads, but only like $2-3 tops for an album unless it's unavailable in any other form.

As for the credit/debit card fee - they did not tell me until the very final page, when the order was already processed. It's a bit underhanded to not prominently show it beforehand, if they even showed it at all. I was a bit peeved to only find out about the fee at the end.

If you look at the "Details" section for the download from the page where you choose what you want, you get this:

"DOWNLOAD

THIS CONSISTS OF THE NEW ALBUM, IN RAINBOWS.

IT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE EXTRA MATERIAL CONTAINED IN THE DISCBOX.

YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE FILE DIGITALLY FROM THE 10th OCTOBER 2007.

YOUR PURCHASE MAY BE SUBJECT TO A TRANSACTION FEE.

THIS WILL BE SHOWN AT THE CHECKOUT.