Ableton Live 7

avaris

They said the Beta is extremely limited so def sign up ASAP. I got in it but I won't be able to check it out until I get off work. You get to not only beta test Live7 but all of their other goodies too.

http://www.ableton.com/home

From what I have read they have implemented the majority of user requests. Many work flow features and interface enhancements that were present in other DAWs but not Live. Their new approach for rewire and external device routing seems to be best I've seen so far.

Nothing crazy with the new version coming from the Cycling 74 partnership though. Have to wait another year on that one.

Features look pretty cool. I'll definitely be upgrading.

Drum rack looks fuckin sweet. You can now slice audio and get a midi sequence from that. Awesome! You can freeze midi hardware which is hella cool even if I don't use hardware, but it also means that you can freeze Rewire slaves that you are sending midi to (Reason!). I'd like to have those new instruments, but not for the prices they are asking.

• 2 weeks later...

i really hate the way ableton handles its add-ons.. the program is moderately expensive as is, but then you have to pay over 100 bucks for a synth that is pretty narrow in focus?

i mean the add-ons (sampler,operator, tension, electric, analog, whatever) are nice, but together with ableton ups the total price to over $1000+

The other issue with Live is this.

seriously, what? But that's an issue that probably needs its own thread [general software license bullshit discussion]

Umm all you gotta do is contact them and let them know you've got a new computer or something.

i really hate the way ableton handles its add-ons.. the program is moderately expensive as is, but then you have to pay over 100 bucks for a synth that is pretty narrow in focus?

i mean the add-ons (sampler,operator, tension, electric, analog, whatever) are nice, but together with ableton ups the total price to over $1000+

Yeah, Live is definitely pretty expensive already and the add-ons are steep too. I haven't bought any of the instruments. Live is not a very good value, in terms of what it comes with for the money, but it's unique and does stuff I really want, so it is worth the price for me.

Umm all you gotta do is contact them and let them know you've got a new computer or something.

My problem is with having to do that in the first place. Getting a new computer all set up like you want is already a bitch and a half, and they'd just be adding to my grief. It has nothing to do with how amiable or expedient the helpdesk is, it's the principle of the thing. Anyway, the method is just there to deter piracy, which is a hopeless endeavor in the first place since there are probably cracks already available.

@ Yoozer, SGX: I dunno why, but it seems like you guys are trying to make me feel like I'm in the wrong with the idea that if I buy something, it belongs to me forever. Keeping totally legal with Ableton seems like buying a car, but only being able to drive it twice, and then calling them every time to allow me start it up after that. I dunno why the honest folk have it harder than the people who use cracks, in this situation. I guess the best thing to do is to buy the software legally, then crack it. At least the devs get their money that way. Though Ableton is asking too much for Live considering it's just a DAW. Maybe they should combat piracy by lowering the price instead?

p.s. this debate doesn't really affect me at all since I am a proud owner of a brand new Renoise! ( ̄▽ ̄)

My problem is with having to do that in the first place.

Yeah, but consider this: companies are not going to just stop sneaking in that kind of protection. The best we can hope for as users is that they make it as painless as possible.

since there are probably cracks already available.

Yes, and they all completely go bonkers after 2 months or so, because they've been shittily cracked ;). Seriously, I've heard the stories; one of the most embarassing being that a DJ had his copy drop out in the middle of a gig. There you are, making moneys and smooching honeyz and not paying for the tools you use.

@ Yoozer, SGX: I dunno why, but it seems like you guys are trying to make me feel like I'm in the wrong with the idea that if I buy something, it belongs to me forever.

That's because software doesn't, and this touches on the weird way "services" and immaterial, infinitely cheaply duplicateable materials still don't work like the old ways. I'm not saying you shouldn't be right or that things shouldn't change because they're not and they don't work right, but it's something you can do very little about.

Also, did anyone already mention that you can buy Live 6 now and upgrade cheaply (as in free) to 7? There, saved yourself some bucks.

Also, did I tell that I'm finally in on the beta? :D