Kart Rider: Free Korean online Mario Kart clone

anthonium

kartridervk3.jpg

So as the thread title states...I came across Kart Rider, a cel-shaded online Mario Kart clone. I realize it has been out in Korea for a while but just recently it's been released in English. The game download is 232mb and should work on most computers with a decent graphics card.

Kart rider consists of two types of gameplay. Item and Speed both supporting up to 8 players max. The game also has a single player story mode which rewards you with in game money to buy items and characters. You can also pay real money to get things ahead of time but it's not necessary. The game begins with a tutorial which then gives you a Rookie license which you can use to race against other rookies as it will not allow a higher level racer to beat the snot out of a lower level one. To read more about it you can check out the Kart Rider wikipedia entry. And if you're curious to see it in action there's several videos of the game on youtube.

I hope some of you give it a try! Oh and pardon my messy post. I'm not much of a thread starter. :P

Kart Rider site: http://kart.nexon.net/

Kart Rider wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kart_Rider

Kart Rider youtube vids: http://youtube.com/results?search_query=kart+rider&search=Search

I say the criticism on the game is more or less unfair as nintendo seriously had years to try developing Mariokart Online like this game for online play. The closest being Mariokart DS which even then could have better done for the PC due to how many players would have loved to join a racing game at the same time.

They didn't take the chance and look what happened. At least Nexon didn't actually use the likeness of Nintendo's characters and items...

Edit* It was posted just after megadave, I didn't hear about that news lol....

When did that news come out..?

Yeah, crazy isn't it? It's actually pretty old news, but I think it was being overshadowed by other games around E3 time (since it is due next year and whoa Wii Fit, Metal Gear, Halos), which is understandable.

http://www.nintendic.com/news/1040

While the 16-player status is still under debate, Reggie said during E3 that there would be more players, since "More players equals more fun." You can still debate it, but it I'm thinking it's pretty obvious from this point. You can watch the E3 speech on youtube. It spills the beans:

Yet, I'm worried that there won't be a double dash option. I loved Double Dash because of its innovative take on coop. I could just imagine one person steering the car with the wiil, and the back player targeting opponents with the wiimote and pressing A button to throw shells, and swashing the wiimote left and right to punch neighboring opponents.

Edit: Some people are saying that its 12, since a video was shown with twelve players on track. Oh well, I don't know what to think now.

I have doubts "double-dash" play will be there, but would make for an awesome addition to the main game. One group of players wanting solo racing while the other group of racers can play the DD version.

One of the biggest, and sadly least likely, addition to the game would be the option of players creating custom race tracks with treacherous obstacles if desired. The custom maps would be saved on a save card or something...

As for Kart Rider, ROFL on the race blocking!! :lol:

Perhaps I should not have called it a Mario Kart clone as Kart Rider is a game in its own just with some similarities with Mario Kart. I wouldn't judge the game based on the experience I had playing Mario Kart games. For me Kart Rider is a fun game. Item Mode may seem like item whoring all the time but after a while you realize there is some skill as to when you should use them. I hope people give it a try before brushing it off. It'd be fun to race against fellow ocr members. :D

At least for me, Live! would be the reason enough for getting a 360. I'm not really into it for the games on the 360, but the fact you can download demos and videos without any problem (I really enjoy demos), along with the online marketplace. It's really simple to figure out and I like that you can be downloading stuff in the background while doing other stuff. Plus it gives you unobtrusive alerts mid-game when stuff gets done or when friends go online.

I'm bitter at Nintendo right now because we just got some broadband adapters for the GameCubes and were going to LAN Mario Kart Double Dash only to find you can't choose your characters. Yeah it worked fine, but why the hell can't I choose my characters? Why couldn't they make it an option to be random? Wii isn't really sizing up to be much better at this point, too. Brawl and the Mario Kart Wii are going to be my only saving grace.

Yow that got kinda long.

XBox Live has been kinda terrible for a while though. Nintendo likes having the right experience (to them) from the getgo.

Live might not be perfect, but it's the best thing we have for now, aside from steam, which isn't any better. Besides, Live being terrible is no excuse. They could have done it right from the start, they had the tech, the tools, and more importantly, the games. Live might not have had the tools it has now from the start, but it had the network to PLAY the games, and for the millions of players who logged into it, that's all that mattered.

Nintendo likes to sit on his ass on matters like this and miss opportunities. The Wii might be doing great now, but it's online system is a piece of shit. Sure it's free, but that doesn't justify the archaich methods it's using (friend codes? lawl) and the lack of connection and tools for players.

Live might not be perfect, but it's the best thing we have for now, aside from steam, which isn't any better. Besides, Live being terrible is no excuse. They could have done it right from the start, they had the tech, the tools, and more importantly, the games. Live might not have had the tools it has now from the start, but it had the network to PLAY the games, and for the millions of players who logged into it, that's all that mattered.

Nintendo likes to sit on his ass on matters like this and miss opportunities. The Wii might be doing great now, but it's online system is a piece of shit. Sure it's free, but that doesn't justify the archaich methods it's using (friend codes? lawl) and the lack of connection and tools for players.

That's all true (saying that Nintedo's online is better than or on par with XBox live is simply incorrect), but the simple reality of being able to play Nintendo's games online (whether shitty online or not) is a wonderful thing. I've heard that, besides the friend code system, Nintendo's online is pretty good, at least for Strikers and the forthcoming Guitar Hero.

A lot of games are reportedly going to subvert the friend code system for Wii, so maybe, just maybe, Nintendo will learn to do the same. Those guys are always behind on something, yet they are Nintendo, and you have to love the shit out of them.

I believe the new Mario Kart will be nothing short of superb, and I look forward to it more than any other game on any console. It's the game that almost all of my close friends play - And we play it religiously - Cases of beer, broken controllers, playing battle mode for more than 2 hours. I can't wait.

doubt they will subvert it, they are commited to that system and when nintendo does that, you know there is not looking back.

But what bothers me the most is not this. is the retarded way friends codes are managed, in that each game has their own friend codes system. What the fuck? If i have you registered as a friend, by registering your friend code or whatever, shouldn't I be able to play any game with you, not to have to call you and ask "hey whats your friend code for x game?" that is just plain retardedness.

The right way that friend codes should work is, you register somebody's friends code, it stays on your address list and you can play any game with them. If nintendo wants to make sure you only want to play some games with some people then make the people re-enter the friend codes for their friends, or just enable/disable them from their address list, but make friend codes damn universal. I don't know who thought that friend codes for each game was a good idea but damn is that person an idiot.

Yeah, it's pretty stupid, yet I don't understand the technology behind it. I'm going to assume that Microsoft has a big database that stores your username and some kind of password that you use to login/verify your account. Is that how it works?

Well, anyway, Nintendo should do something like that, because numbers are simply too much to ask. I mean, why in the heck would they use numbers unless their was a technological difficulty involved? There's a reason we use domain names instead of IP addresses. After, all they're spending millions on wiimote jackets, can't they also spend millions on upgrading their online system?