Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions

Arek the Absolute

Wow, this is the worst official game thread I've seen in some time.

For future reference, the correct way to do an official game thread, especially one about the greatest SRPG of all time, is here.

See the art? The links? Yeah.

Actually we already have a thread about this.

Does anyone know if they're keeping the same soundtrack? I'd be pretty bummed if they altered (for the worse) or removed Hitoshi Sakimoto's awesome score.

Soundtrack is the same, translation is all new. Cameos by Lusa (FFTA; job is "Mob Hunter") and Balthier (FF12; job is "Sky Pirate"). New jobs include Onion Knight (they don't learn any skills bu can equip anything) and Dark Knight (similar to the dark knights of FF11 in that their attacks are based around HP draining to both give and receive damage).

Balthier

TBal.jpg

Lusa

Fft-ruso.jpg

Dark Knight

447px-FFT_DarkKnight.jpg

Job retranslations include Lancer now known as Dragoon and Mediator now known as Orator. Calculators are now called Arithmeticians.

U.S. boxart

51gjtQ9SnoL._SS500_.jpg

Official site

Intro cathedral scene redone with cutscene animation and voice acting

Some screens featuring the new translation:

I've been looking at this for a while, especially now since I have a 40 minute bus ride to school. It got a 9.0 from IGN. I dunno, some of their squabbles i don't remember having a problem with in the original, let alone what I could perceive being in a psp port. Aparently there is a lot of slowdown from summons, which i could see being a problem, but even in the ps1 version i didnt really notice any audio mis-synching. I could be totally wrong, but these do seem like quite a bit in the ol' problem bank account, but it still got a 9 from IGN and apparently a 9.5 from PSM. So I'm guessing its not too bad.

• 3 weeks later...

The slowdown can actually be fixed by turning off the big speech bubbles the characters say when they speak the spells.

Dude, Balthier is soooo fucking good in this game! He's damn near close to T.G. Cid good. His Sky Pirate unique job has Ninja calibur speed, every Thief steal ability, both of Mustadio's Aim abilities (Aim Arm, Aim Leg) and Seal Evil, he can use Guns/Polearms/Swords/Daggers/Crossbows/Bows right off the bat (and ofcourse more if you want to get the assigned equip abilities.) and best of all he comes with a special unique ability called "Barrage". Its an attack that allows him to attack with his equipped weapon four times in a row, each hit at half damage.

It sounds no better than Dual Wield at first but when you couple it with a really powerful one handed weapon like the Javelin II (especially killer) and the fact it has 100% hit rate, and the fact Balthier gets so many turns thanks to his speed you have insanity.

Or 4 shots with a gun too. He's the ultimate all around support/direct attack character to Cid's ultimate offense character.

Hmm is it just me or is the AI a little smarteer? I keep noticing they come after my mages all the time and they would only come after anyone back in the old ps1 game.

i think it is a little harder, maybe im imagining things

but its still good just to play this. i love the retranslation.

Once again for the 30 millionth time: THE SLOWDOWN IS HARDCODED INTO THE GAME BECAUSE OF INEFFICIENT PROGRAMMING

Yeah, it alone is driving me away from the game... It may sound like a stupid thing to complain about, but the lag is just so bad that I don't like the game because of it. I had high hopes, too. u_u;

Are the summons any different from the PS1? I really liked those ones where they were minimalist and a lot like the FF6 ones.

Yes, all the in game stuff save the new (beautiful) cut scenes looks pretty much the same. It looks very nice on PSP's little screen too.

Dark Knight is an awesome job. Made Ramza one since it sounds like a "special" job and I always wanted Ramza to have a special job of his own. What better job for a misunderstood hero branded a heretic than Dark Knight too? Mettle abilities go great with it too.

Plus with the crazy pre-requisites needed to get the job, it might as well be special. I can't wait for my friend to get an FFT of his own so we can multiplayer and get a Dark Sword type. The opposite of Knight swords, they basically raise bravery but lower faith. Makes spellcasting for him bad but since Dark Knight Ramza with Mettle is meant for just kicking insane amounts of ass I figure its not an issue. Makes it so effect spells are actually less effective on him too.

An item in multiplayer called Lipstick, and a sword called Durandal I heard really buff up Agrias.