OCR01628 - Legend of Zelda "Legend of Zelda Overture"

djpretzel

For the most part, the arrangement is very boring. The samples are fantastic, but the sequencing and production values are rather mediocre.

EDIT: I'm really sorry for being an ass about this. The arrangement is far from boring, and you didn't deserve my negativity.

Edited by oakthielbar
I was an asshole

I'm very impressed by this. Without a doubt one of my favorite zelda remixes around.

The samples are quite good (though i'd still kill to hear this played live). And I'd have to say i really like the arrangement There's a lot of contrast to be heard here, and these are probably among the smoothest transitions or any orchetsral remix on the site.

Your choice in themes to incorporate is also spot on for creating the zelda atmosphere. This medley of tuens doesnt really walk you through the story, nor tell you about a piece of the story. Rather it seemes to string together themes from through out the series that just scream zelda. Which is perfect for an overture.

and If i'm not mistaken I hear The main theme, hyrule feild from Oot, the trailer music from twilight princess, and mosty suprisignly the bonus track from twilight princess.

And dont know if its your intention or not you have segments of your piece that sound very remeniscient stylistyically of minish cap.

Excellent work. Can't wait to hear more of your stuff.

So why is this under the original Zelda and not Ocarina?

Just curious how these things are handled when they have sources from two different games in a series.

EDIT: Oh, I'd be remiss in not adding that this is a fun arrangement, by the way. High fives all around! :D

So why is this under the original Zelda and not Ocarina?

Just curious how these things are handled when they have sources from two different games in a series.

EDIT: Oh, I'd be remiss in not adding that this is a fun arrangement, by the way. High fives all around! :D

If you cover multiple games in a series in a fairly even-handed way where no one game is particularly dominant, the first game in the series gets the designation.

While it is true that it feels a tad tedious at times, I would contend that this is simply the nature of the beast in being an overture of classic Zelda tuneages. He certainly accomplished what he set out to do - anyone who comes to the site for their first time and wants to feel some Zelda nostalgia is going to get the long, edible chocolate end of the stick. Yummy.

That being said, I dunno about those church bells. They've been fit in as well as church bells could, but still are out of place, and are not Zelda-esque in my opinion. A small qualm though...

P.S. I love that sample of Winter is Coming on your site Evan, though I'd tone down or vary the volume of the piano.

Thanks to all the folks who said nice things about the tune, I'm really glad you liked it! For those that didn't care for it, thanks for at least being constrictive with the criticism.

I'm impressed you guys caught the Twilight Princess stuff in there! I liked the two orchestral pieces in that soundtrack, (it was pretty easy to borrow from them since the melody is thematically related to the hyrule field melody anyway.) although I did change the melody a bit in my version.

Ace: I actually haven't played Minish Cap. I tend to be more partial toward the more "serious" styled Zelda games, but hey, good music is good music, so I'll make sure to check it out! Yeah it would be great to hear my arrangement live, but I actually got to hear a better arrangement (The Orchestral Game Concert arrangement) played live by the DSO at the Dallas Video Games Live concert, which was amazing.

Have you guys heard that version? I thought it was a little weird that they borrowed the buildup from John William's Superman theme, but it's basically an ABA form, with A being a triumphant orchestration the original zelda theme, and B sort of a development. Anyway I really like what the arranger did with the B section, the harmony is really rich and the melodic development is clever.

Anyway I hope I get time to do another tune for this site. I'd really like to another overture type thing eventually. Maybe, something Yasunori Mitsuda?

Yeah i think this sounds more like ocarina of time overture mix then original zelda 1 good mix but i was more dissapointed that there was very little of the original "main theme overture" being that in zelda 1 it really ws just the main theme plaed over again and this is deffinatly more of orcarina of time than anything

other wise good mix

hate to say it, but this ocarina of time with zelda 1 elements. i'd say it's under the wrong game, but i suppose it could technically go either way.

still a beautiful mix, though, and i enjoyed it immensely.

i hate to be the guy who judges an entire fanfic on one typo, ya know?

The style is very film-esque to me more than an overture. Lots of solo lines and supportive underscoring. I think I would have liked to hear more blends than individual samples one at a time, especially to smooth the attack envelopes of the solo violin.

The strings at 2:36 are highly reminiscent of a Hyrule symphonic performance I've heard from the Tokyo symphony I think.

Overall the brass are a little turned down, I'd love to hear them soar over the mix. The writing is a little trepidatious, seeming to write to the samples more than the music.

Still, one of the best orchestral mixes you'll find around here, very nicely done.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm VERY impressed! Most of the time, I skip over Zelda Main Theme remixes, mainly due to the fact that it seems most people hammer on that theme over and over and over until you just want the remix to end.

You know, the type that plays the theme seven times straight, then just...ends.

Very admirable job. Having the other themes to break up "Just Zelda" really really helps.

Now...can someone find me a sword, shield, silly green cap, and maybe an Ocarina? I feel the need to go gallivanting off after Moblins and Like Likes.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01628 - Legend of Zelda "Legend of Zelda Overture"