OCR00831 - Chrono Trigger "Lost Fragments of the Past"

Disco Dan

Chrono Trigger 'Lost Fragments of the Past'

Ok, once again, based on reviews by djp, I was expecting to be bored tearless with this arrangement. It's almost TOO abstract for me to really enjoy. Really ambient. CotMM really should be reviewing this rather than me. Ok, I am bored by it... Oh what, that's IT??

Ok, this is kind of a let down. Don't download this song if you want something that'll slip by you in the background without so much as a hello or goodbye. But if you like something subtle with very (very) minimalistic aspects, get it. That's my take.

DC

P.S. Some of you might recognize the "Strings Super DXS" sample used there ...

Actually I found the song a nice change of pace for my Chrono remix collection, the slow dark melodic sound deffinatley set the mood. The only complaint I would really have with the song is how short it was. I can see something like it stretching out to be very notalgic.

True it's not a song you can have enqued in your play list and have it play through without noticing, but if you play the song on it's own it deffinatley can give you either a dark feeling that could inspire someone to write a story. I even like the heroic feeling it gives you when the flute sample plays around 1:16.

Well, I was a bit dissapointed with the reviews this song has received.

I think it's really a great song. It's much slower paced than most of the songs on this site, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. This song conveys sadness, and yet a deep dark intensity, like an ominous dark foreboding on what's to come. This version of the song turns the world map theme into more of a prologue-type theme.

In terms of sampling, arranging, etc., Oceanfire does quite a fantastic job. The samples may not be gigastudio quality, but they are good enough to get the job done. They don't distract from the overall character of the song. The arrangement is technacally close to perfect in terms of harmony, transitioning, etc. It is very cleverly arranged so that it carries a great deal of emotion.

orchestral/electronic music (synths for sound effects and such)

Overall, I really liked it. It's a great change from the usual upbeat music that's posted on this sitel.

9.6/10

i think it moved tooooo slow for me. the 2nd half was pretty decent, but that slow start really got to me =\ otherwise, i think the piece had some nice elements to it. i was feeling *dark*-ish after listening to that new lufia piece on repeat forever, so this kinda slipped in there. nice touch.. wasn't exceptional, but i cant say i didnt like it.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I don't usually review songs on this site because I don't think I'm the best man for the job. But I just had to stick up for this review....

I'm not always a fan of the ambient stuff, but I love the feel of this one. The subtle melody is played beautifully. This mix isn't for everyone, but if you like this kind of music I definately recommend it.

Like that other guy, my only complaint with this is it ends too quickly. Could have gone another 2 minutes or so.

Wow. I thought this was actually very good. Its minimalist and slow, but achieves such a level of mood it deserves a lot of praise. It almost pulls you in with its depth. I like how DJP put it, "a journey", cuz that's what this song really is. It isn't trying to blow you away with a wall of sound or anything, it's just a dark, foreboding, sad song. Best part: when the looong note finally drops at 1:32. Definitely a good listen if you don't mind the genre.

Note: I actually am not a fan of ambient stuff because I think its boring and overly simple. This song just, was good though.

Neat segues between Schala and the CT theme...the slow, dreamlike quality of the mix kind of draws you in and pulls you along. The mix is actually of pretty average length, but it seems short because of the pace of the song. Problem is, because it seems so short, you're kind of left out of the loop when it ends.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

6.5 / 10

Dark, moody and quiet, this song was made for people (Like me! :D ) who try to invent stories to go along with the song. If you just want something to listen to, I'd say pass, but if you're willing to give this song a couple chances to spark your imagination, go for it.

• 9 months later...

I gave this one a 5 out of 5 stars, and I very rarely give those out. I just love dark, peaceful themes you can sleep to. For those looking for such type of music in the normal music land, check out the works of Steve Roach.

Using a more accurate method of scoring, I'd give Chrono Trigger 'LostFragmentsofthePast' an 9.2/10, songs like these are designed to be over 6 minutes at least.

• 2 months later...

Amazing song, it's orchestral track with synth strings give it an excellent ambient feel. One of the best parts I feel is at 1:32 where the strings stop their drone and the piano plays the low octaves, great transition there. 1:16 where the flute came with the piano harmony had an excellent eerie feeling to it. This song, to me, portrays sadness and a touch of anxiety. It almost reminds me of something off a Myst soundtrack. GREAT JOB!!! I'm more of a medieval composer but in my experiments in ambient music, I realize how hard it is to get it to sound clear, to have a clear progression of theme, and to keep it non-cacophonous. I was never very good at ambient music :).

• 1 year later...

It´s very depressive, like if someone just lost a battle or something, reminds me very much of "Death on the snowfield", same mood through the whole song, except that this song doesn´t bursts into beats and drums during 30 secs.

Anyway, it didn´t have alot to give, this is a song that you´re supposed to listen and relax to, not dig. I liked those depressive strings that stays on their only tune through the whole song that cooperates with a nice flute , a cute xylofone and a piano that´s also a little depressive. It is beautiful in some way, if it´s yours: download it.

• 6 months later...

There's one thing I like in an instrumental, and thats my strings! This remix has plenty of stringiness for me to enjoy. I was hooked after the first 5 seconds, and the chord changes made it a really relaxing piece to listen to - I can imagine myself doing yoga or something to this one xD But seriously I loved it.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought this track was quite good, actually. It didn't sound especially complex, but it was certainly evocative. The length was ideal; three minutes is long enough for the mood to fully sink in, but not too long to keep the interest of the listener. It's nice to see a more ambient take on that particular CT song; I respect the artist's effort and have enjoyed the result.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
Actually I found the song a nice change of pace for my Chrono remix collection, the slow dark melodic sound deffinatley set the mood. The only complaint I would really have with the song is how short it was. I can see something like it stretching out to be very notalgic.

True it's not a song you can have enqued in your play list and have it play through without noticing, but if you play the song on it's own it deffinatley can give you either a dark feeling that could inspire someone to write a story. I even like the heroic feeling it gives you when the flute sample plays around 1:16.

this was very well said. i agree with it all. this remix was such a nice change of pace for the CT collection... still is.

and again, yeah.. if you play it and think of it as its own, it holds its own. it really is inspiring in a sense that in takes you to a certain place... makes you think, if that makes sense.

• 1 year later...

the soundscape is really good, and the samples are well used, with maybe the exception of the super delay pizzicato strings. There are some great effects, like the slow and subtle pitchdown of the initial bell hits, and the flute sounds good too.

I think the issue with this mix not being more popular is that it would be completely amazing in game, but without a visual of some sort, it's not going to jump out , except to people who love the ambient genre in the first place.

There is some good stuff here, especially the string bed changes around the halfway point. Subtle and beautiful.

Not really my style out and about, but i'd be freaking out over this track if I heard it in-game.

• 8 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00831 - Chrono Trigger "Lost Fragments of the Past"