Im new =P

Ga1ez

If you wanna hear what an example of an EXCELLENT remix of the chocobo racing theme then listen to Golden Feathers by Another Soundscape here: http://ff7.ocremix.org/tracks/ (scroll down until you see it, then download from a mirror).

I'm not saying your remix has to be exactly like that to be awesome, but try to incorporate more of the type of elements he used, I'll get you started:

1. a drum beat

2. instruments besides soft synths

3. more variety, having something repeat for a while tires out the ears real quick

4. more originality, add in some of your own melodies, harmonies, transitions, or modifications to existing melodies and etc.

5. Use mastering and mixing tools, like EQs and compressors, cause your the synths sound a bit cramped within the frequency range of your remix

I think you should spend some time just reading some tutorials on the internet about stuff like mixing, it'll teach you some great tips and tricks on how to get everything sounding clean. You should also try listening to other people's music in the genre you're remixing, it can give you some great ideas of stuff to add to your own piece to spice it up and give it more flavor.

Gotta agree with Knives on a lot of that. It's a crazy tune, and I don't mean that in a good way. To me, it sounds like you took a midi file and set every instrument to be a slow-attack, mid-range synth.

Looking at midi files is a good way to start learning how to remix, but it's best not to change any isntruments or do anything before you know what direction you want to go with a remix. In this case, it sounds like an experiment, and I don't mean related to the genre "experimental". Try taking just the main melody from here, and creating different accompanying melodies, rythms, riffs, and beats.

It would of course help if you could tell us what software you've used, so we can give more appropriate instructions. But the best advice I can give you is: listen to music, lots, lots, and lots of music - not just from OCR and video games in general, but listen to internet radio, ordinary radio, mtv, you parents', your grandparents' music... everything. While you're at it, be very critical about the music you find in the electronica genres, if that's where you're heading. Learn to spot flaws and find room for improvement. And don't forget to apply that to your own works.

But for now, listen to music, listen to advice, and play around with what you've got. If it doesn't sound half as good as the stuff that gets approved to OCR, don't sweat it. My first songs sucked more than this one does. Just listen, compare, and learn.