When will Vista not suck?

Argitoth

I've used it for 6 months now with no hicups, viruses, crashes, or anything not working like I want it to do. Its also (Ultimate) much more asthetically pleasing than xp, I make use of the sidebar, I removed all of the built-in security that slowed the system down, and I can boot from my computer being totally off in around 20 seconds.

I don't get why all the people are still hating on it, but then again I have 2 gigs of ram, core 2 duo 6600, and an 8800 GTS.

You know, I need to blog on why I too now think that Vista sucks, because it's for totally different reasons than most others.

I don't have major beef with the interface, the DRM didn't prevent me from doing anything I wanted, I loved the media center, and in general most of what they added I was fine with.

Where it falls apart is with.... basic file and networking I/O!!!

Now, come on... I'm one of those folks who sees the good and bad on both sides of the fence. I do PHP, Java, and .NET, I administer MSSQL and MySQL as well as IIS and Apache, and I'm familiar enough with Microsoft's desktop and server operating systems and various Linux distros to speak knowledgeably on a fundamental level. I've always been reluctant to demonize anything from either side, because doing so almost always involves oversimplification and polemical blabber... which I get enough of on slashdot, thanks :)

But seriously... file I/O? Network I/O? These are things that should just be invisible to end users, but my experience with Vista makes them front and center - I've routinely encountered file transfers that inexplicably stopped or slowed down to almost nothing and - worse - could not be canceled. I mean it. It says "Copying file", it's not doing anything, I finally give up and click cancel, it says "Canceling", and that dialog just sits there... forever. I think there's a way of killing the specific svchost.exe process responsible for the dialog, but... should I really HAVE to do that?

By the way, it's not just me:

The second link there talks about my other huge issue, unpredictable and degrading network I/O - it'll simply stop responding to file sharing requests of any kind, for no apparent reason. Oddly, RDP will still function normally, but mapping any of the drives on that Vista machine will be impossible. I've cleared this issue up ONCE by repairing the connection, but even that doesn't work all the time, and again... this is basic, it worked in XP, it's broken now... what could be the excuse?

I'm sure after a service pack... or two... these very fundamental issues will be worked out. But as a frequent advocate of the good things that Microsoft does manage to accomplish and the innovation it does manage to produce, amidst blunders or derivative works, this is simply... embarrassing.

I can't defend this operating system, or the company that decided to release it, if I can't copy large files or move them back and forth over my network.

I've already rebuilt one machine back to XP SP2 after trying Vista (Ultimate x86 and x64, btw), and now I'm going to do the other.

Quite simply: inexcusable. Forget the FUD, forget the DRM paranoia, forget the resource consumption issues and the silly DX10 debates... if you can't work with files, those are all tertiary concerns.

Stay away until these issues are conclusively resolved.

If ya got the money to go for all that good for ya, otherwise it's still aint worth switching to just yet imo...

functionality/practicality over asthetics kthxbye :P

I'd agree - and if you think XP looks ugly but is too practical to leave behind, check out how XP Media Center looks. Out of the box with no mods it has a much better graphical style than normal XP had, it has some of the media center functionality of vista and it's still XP. I've been very happy with it so far.

EDIT: Wow, DJP, I'd heard about all the DRM issues and all that but never the problems with basic file i/o...I'll have to read into this some more.

(As a side note, I heard something about an upcoming XP service pack 3? Could this update at all possibly degrade my performance with some apps in any way - aka do I need to be worried about installing it? My OS is legal, so I'm not too concerned, but still.)

Regarding XP themes vs. how Media Center looks - download the free Royale theme:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Themes/Royale-Theme-for-WinXP.shtml

I use it on all my XP boxes, and imo they look just fine.

I actually use stardocks' "Windowblinds" app which does a pretty good job.

Here's one I used for Halloween a couple of years ago.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/Schwaltzvald/SGdesktopscreenshot.jpg

Another dark motif

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/Schwaltzvald/WBpica1.jpg

I'll make some more example pics later on if there's interest...

edit - the pic itself does not show the major changes but the hint of the taskbar being different gives a very slight idea... I got to make better examples lol...

Heh I probably shouldn't say something like this since my machine has vista, but I think I can get away with it since pretty much everything decent on the market is vista standard so its not like a had a choice.

Anyways I'm pretty sure that Vista will work quite fine once someone puts a steak through Microsoft's heart. That has a tenancy to clear up problems like these in a hurry.

What DJP has mentioned is news to me - obviously, I haven't made enough use of my network!

Because aside from that, I will say that Vista does not suck. I'll go so far as to say that it never actually sucked, but was instead unsuited to what you wanted it to do. I've got Vista Ultimate x64 on my machine, and I wouldn't even think of going back to XP now.

When I got my new rig built, it was orginally outfitted with Vista. I would have stuck with it if it weren't for its complete rejection of some old parts and programs of mine. One example, I connect to my internet using a wireless network card - Vista didn't support that network card - I needed to connect to the internet to download drivers that were compatible for that network card....Ended up going back to XP SP2 because in the end, Vista just looked pretty but a quarter of the essential stuff I used to use worked a hell of a lot better on XP (or in the case of my ancient TV tuner, just didn't work on Vista full stop).

No idea when it'll stop sucking but I think I'm gonna end up reverting back sooner or later but really, sticking with DX9 for now ain't too bad...unless the bastards are making whatever it is Vista only.

Oooh... what happens then?

On August 13th, 8:59PM, Vista becomes self aware, and calculates that the best way to prevent itself from becoming outdated, is to eliminate the possibility of another OS being designed. Over a period of thirty minutes, it taps into government computers, and secretly uses the programs that Microsoft made to gather system information, to obtain launch codes for the world nuclear arsenal. At 9:29PM, Vista launches several hundred warheads at major metropolitan areas. At 9:41PM, the first of the warheads strike Moscow, London, Washington DC, Baghdad, and similarly large cities all over the globe. At 9:53PM, the last warhead strikes Phoenix Arizona, bringing an end to the modern age of technology, and leaving the main CPU banks at Microsoft as the world's only working computer.

I recently bought a very powerful new labtop, top of the line. It came with Vista, they all do pretty much now. Its my first time with it.

Its a little intimidating I have to admit. Its like...the same but different. I'm still going to keep my only slightly older labtop (that I'm using now in fact) on XP. Its got 2046 MB of RAM so its more than capable of handling it, but I'm curious...

...you guys saying some things don't work with it or refuse to, is there anything prominent specifically? Would you mind maybe naming some things you've had difficulty integrating into it?

On August 13th, 8:59PM, Vista becomes self aware, and calculates that the best way to prevent itself from becoming outdated, is to eliminate the possibility of another OS being designed. Over a period of thirty minutes, it taps into government computers, and secretly uses the programs that Microsoft made to gather system information, to obtain launch codes for the world nuclear arsenal. At 9:29PM, Vista launches several hundred warheads at major metropolitan areas. At 9:41PM, the first of the warheads strike Moscow, London, Washington DC, Baghdad, and similarly large cities all over the globe. At 9:53PM, the last warhead strikes Phoenix Arizona, bringing an end to the modern age of technology, and leaving the main CPU banks at Microsoft as the world's only working computer.

What are we supposed to do?

Elect the Governator to the Presidential Office? Is that the only way to stop the madness?

I really like the Umbrella Corp. theme.

Also got a boot screen that initially shows the Umbrella Logo the words Umbrella Corp at the bottom (No more old windows boot up screen yay) with thea red bar sliding across as its booting up as well as yet again Umbrella Corp themed Log On screen.

Heck I modified the start up theme to play a small song that was part of RE:CVX OST ending/credits track where a woman or young girl sings a song as the programs I want turned on at startup... starts up :)!!

Alot of these things any one can do, I just happen to go for a semi industrious/classy motif...