When will Vista not suck?

Argitoth

We can use Live Services to know what you're interested in. So even if you drop by a [public] kiosk or somebody else's PC, we can bring down your home page, your files, your fonts, your favorites and those things.

Oh fuck yeah. I feel perfectly comfortable with a supercomputer in Redmond knowing my interests and storing all my personal files for easy access anywhere in the world! Yeah! Cuz that way, people don't even have to actually hack into my computer! They can just hack a public kiosk, pull up the networking histories, and grab the files of me and anyone else who's been using it! Microsoft has really given us a brave new world. God bless them.

Fuckers.

What are we supposed to do?

Elect the Governator to the Presidential Office? Is that the only way to stop the madness?

Nah. He's too flabby to help anymore. We'll need someone else to sneak into Microsoft's HQ and put Vista in compatibility mode. Just don't get someone old, because apparently Vista and older things don't work together too well.

I can't believe the people who made Windows Photo Gallery Viewer didn't make it possible for it to view animated gifs, just because supposedly the gif format isn't "widespread in use". Last I checked a great deal of the internet still uses animated gifs and the gif format in general, how foolish. You can open them in Explorer, one at a time, but a picture viewer is supposed to be about ease of use and convenience when looking through images.

I know its a little thing but its a bit aggrevating. Makes me want the old Picture and Fax Viewer back. Is there some sort of similar alternative picture viewer program I could get?

Edit: Bleh nevermind, got Irfan. Still stupid of them though.

I can't believe the people who made Windows Photo Gallery Viewer didn't make it possible for it to view animated gifs, just because supposedly the gif format isn't "widespread in use". Last I checked a great deal of the internet still uses animated gifs and the gif format in general, how foolish. You can open them in Explorer, one at a time, but a picture viewer is supposed to be about ease of use and convenience when looking through images.

I know its a little thing but its a bit aggrevating. Makes me want the old Picture and Fax Viewer back. Is there some sort of similar alternative picture viewer program I could get?

Edit: Bleh nevermind, got Irfan. Still stupid of them though.

What did you expect from the company that's throttled back animated gifs in their browser for years? Everything they make seems to run gifs at a .1 frame delay speed at its fastest, even when the gif is set for a .05 or a .01 frame delay speed.

from what i'm hearing, people having the most problems are those who upgrade from XP to vista.

i bought a laptop with it pre-loaded and i beefed up the system just because i knew it was resource intense and because laptops can't really be upgraded (get my money's worth).

I have seen DJP's issue with files that don't copy and network file sharing doesn't seem to exist. but other than that it's done everything i need it to do. I had a few issues with running Java Netbeans but i think it was a bad program install because i re-installed it and it worked.

the real kick is, what have people who bought Vista Ultimate really gained by going ultimate? 80 something fonts! that's microsoft's big reward for that extra $100 or so you spent on Ultimate, congrats!

What did you expect from the company that's throttled back animated gifs in their browser for years? Everything they make seems to run gifs at a .1 frame delay speed at its fastest, even when the gif is set for a .05 or a .01 frame delay speed.

I expected nothing, but I didn't put it past them either. Even Irfan still loads music files as well as pictures, I miss the old viewer's ultra simplicity but I'll get used to it.

By the way on the subject of browsers, has there been any particular issues with using Firefox on Vista reported yet? I haven't put it in yet.

I expected nothing, but I didn't put it past them either. Even Irfan still loads music files as well as pictures, I miss the old viewer's ultra simplicity but I'll get used to it.

By the way on the subject of browsers, has there been any particular issues with using Firefox on Vista reported yet? I haven't put it in yet.

Must be something about animated gifs that Microsoft programmers just doesn't like. I'd imagine they probably throttled them back because of how many people simply set a gif to run with zero frame delay, which can be a resource hog in the right conditions. Even so, flat out disabling them is pretty moronic, seeing as they're still in use everywhere.

As for FireFox and Vista, it's gotten better since 2.0.0.2 was introduced. It's still not as good on Vista as it is on XP from what I've read, but it's supposed to have gotten much better than it was at first. It's up to 2.0.0.7 now, so it's worth a try at least.

from what i'm hearing, people having the most problems are those who upgrade from XP to vista.

i bought a laptop with it pre-loaded and i beefed up the system just because i knew it was resource intense and because laptops can't really be upgraded (get my money's worth).

I have seen DJP's issue with files that don't copy and network file sharing doesn't seem to exist. but other than that it's done everything i need it to do. I had a few issues with running Java Netbeans but i think it was a bad program install because i re-installed it and it worked.

the real kick is, what have people who bought Vista Ultimate really gained by going ultimate? 80 something fonts! that's microsoft's big reward for that extra $100 or so you spent on Ultimate, congrats!

People pay for Windows? :P

Yeah, I have Ultimate but am not seeing a difference. They have yet to release any other Windows Ultimate features that I keep seeing they will do in my Windows Ultimate update box since I installed it 6 months ago. I don't use the dreamscenes mainly because all the ones out there suck.

Must be something about animated gifs that Microsoft programmers just doesn't like. I'd imagine they probably throttled them back because of how many people simply set a gif to run with zero frame delay, which can be a resource hog in the right conditions. Even so, flat out disabling them is pretty moronic, seeing as they're still in use everywhere.

Yeah thats what I can't make sense of, why disinclude a file type or give it the short end of the stick...just because? It makes no sense whatsoever even with the "Gif isn't widely supported" bullshit reason. They're programmers, they can't actually be that stupid so it does seem like bias or some sort of bizzare motive. Although I'm no stranger to the fact even the smartest people in the world can sometimes be the dumbest too.

I dunno, maybe animated gifs raped their moms or something.