Reason Spectrum Analyzer

Knives

Run whatever source you want to "analyze" as a modulation source into a vocoder. I forget what freq range each band inthe vocoder is but it should be in the manual. IMO while it is good and very handy to use spectrum analyzers try to work on using your ears. IMO when I was able to start EQ'ing by ear and not by spectrum analyzers my mastering improved quite a bit. It takes time but it is def doable.

*hugs V*

you can, but it's for people without ears! BLEREREGH!

Like me :)

I was addicted to spectrum analyzers. It was the first plugin I dropped in every song I made with fruity loops. I don't rely on it that much now (still, can be done with the Vocoder) but I still miss it sometimes to find those pesky frequencies that keep peaking at undesirable times, messing up my songs.

It's not for people with faulty ears, I'd say it's for people who don't understand how sonds relate to frequency much. Remember that even the most advanced studios still use frequency analyzers to achieve that perfect freq curve.

I dunno how I'd rate my ears, but considering I do my fair share of music producing they'd probably be better than your average person's. I also have a good understanding of how frequency relates to sound and what frequencies give a sound more punch, make it more piercing, or etc. I just like visual cues, I like looking at waves and analyzers to see just how I'm shaping my sound. You could use your ear and get good results for sure, but after a while of mixing your ears start to get tolerant of the odd frequencies that normally wouldn't sound good if you listened to it with fresh ears, having a spectrum analyzer is helpful since it always stays accurate and doesn't accommodate itself to the sound like an ear would. That and it's simply more precise, like Sir Nuts said, even the big shot mastering engineers in big record labels use spectrum analyzers because the careful and finely detailed editing they do to perfect the sound requires the monitoring of spectrum analyzers. So in conclusion, whether you have a good ear or not, using a spectrum analyzer doesn't make you any less of a musician or artist, it just makes you more of a mixing and mastering engineer ;D

Like me :)

I was addicted to spectrum analyzers. It was the first plugin I dropped in every song I made with fruity loops. I don't rely on it that much now (still, can be done with the Vocoder) but I still miss it sometimes to find those pesky frequencies that keep peaking at undesirable times, messing up my songs.

It's not for people with faulty ears, I'd say it's for people who don't understand how sonds relate to frequency much. Remember that even the most advanced studios still use frequency analyzers to achieve that perfect freq curve.

I wasn't that serious, I'm horrible at mastering and mixing and finding good freqs ;)

Another use I gave (still do sometimes) to graphic analyzers was when i felt the song had some empty room, I could look at the freqs and how they were acting and tell which freq range could use a filler. It goes a long way to get a fuller sound to your songs.

Why reason still lacks one puzzles me, as it's not a complex machine. But oh well, maybe in the future.

I'm guessing it's for the same Reason (hehehe, puntastic) the program doesn't have a multi-band compressor; You can create it yourself by wiring some stuff together, so there's not really a need for a dedicated device.

Indeed, but in the case of a graphic eq, it's not something that you can really build. You can kinda emulate one with the vocoder bands but it's still really basic and well, almost not worth it. Something like Fruity loop's analyzer is actually useful.