MIDI keboard that gets the job done

Im looking for a midi keyboard that just gets the job done. something that will just hook up to flstudio and has sensitivity on the keys. I dont care to get any great synthesizers. just something that can help coordinate the music. is there anything I should be looking for in particular? or should I just pick up any keyboard from a music store? I would also rather have something that just simply has keys and no cheep built in speakers that just waste space and make it bulky...

You're looking for a controller keyboard (no sounds, no speakers, just MIDI) instead of an arranger keyboard (sounds, speakers, also MIDI).

I have the E-mu Xboard 49. Good keys, enough knobs, doesn't take too much space. Alternatives depend on your budget.

I'm using an M-Audio Radium 49. It's a very basic 49-key MIDI controller with 8 faders, 8 potentiometers, and pitch bend/mod wheels. My high B-flat key gets stuck occasionally and the drivers insist on continually reinstalling themselves if I plug it in through a USB hub, but other than that, I haven't had any problems with it. I think I got it for around $120, although it may be cheaper now.

Actually, checking M-Audio's website, it looks like my model has been replaced by the Oxygen 49.

Also, the Keystation 49e is similar but without the faders and potentiometers.

I use the CME UF8:

2421_image_med_cme_uf8.jpg

Though they have other sizes, too.

I got it because it had fully weighted keys, selectable velocity curves, a mod wheel and a pitch wheel, it has key aftertouch, and it has an expression pedal input as well as the standard sustain pedal.

Additionally, it has a programmable interface for DAW control and plugs in via USB if so desired.

It gives me a lot of control options without feeling like it's not a piano. The action, though, is a bit lighter than a real piano--but not by much--just slightly so that when I converted from the Roland RD100 stage piano, I could tell.

The last reason I got it was because as I was doing research, its reviews tended to outshine the M-Audio equivalent (the keystation or something).

Obviously, they have whatever size you're looking for:

ufpre.jpg

I've been really happy with it, though I had to order it online because they're distributed via Yamaha and a lot of local dealers don't carry those side lines. So I just got it from MF--but I wouldn't recommend them, in fact I don't order from MF anymore since I had to refer their one of their orders to my cc's fraud department for basically dicking me around and never paying me.

thanks everyone! that is exactly what I was looking for. I was actually planning on spending around $300. Im glad I dont have to spend more! Im really interested in the Edirol PCR800 that snappleman recomended, and the CME UF8 that dannthr recomemded. Im going to look into both of those...

thanks agian!

The $150 can feel like toys very easily.

Though that's probably true with some brands/models, I was (and still am) really impressed with the quality of the Edirol controller I have. I don't feel like they skimped on the quality of the hardware at all, considering what I paid for it new. I guess what I'm saying is that it doesn't feel like a toy, which I assume must be a rare thing at that price.

The best midi controller i've played is the Studiologic Fatar 88 key SL-990 pro. it has real ivory coated keys and uses fully weighted hammer action. its pretty damn close to a real piano feel. The only downside is it uses a midi cable only, no usb. It also different velocity levels, a sustain jack and a volume (expression) jack. And to top it off it has 2 midi outs, one you can run to your pc's soundcard and the other to a rack of modules if you'd like. Great buy for $399 if you ask me.

The best midi controller i've played is the Studiologic Fatar 88 key SL-990 pro. it has real ivory coated keys and uses fully weighted hammer action. its pretty damn close to a real piano feel. The only downside is it uses a midi cable only, no usb. It also different velocity levels, a sustain jack and a volume (expression) jack. And to top it off it has 2 midi outs, one you can run to your pc's soundcard and the other to a rack of modules if you'd like. Great buy for $399 if you ask me.

Wait, do these things actually use real ivory? I don't buy it, the product brochure doesn't mention this. I certainly hope they wouldn't use it.

I do like the feel of the studiologics. Main reason I've never gotten one is that they seem to have poor reliability. That may have changed for the later versions, I have no idea.