OCR01680 - *YES* Final Fantasy 8 'Realization'

Liontamer

Hey man,

I was just wondering if my ff8 mix had hit the panel yet, I submitted it the day that my ff7 mix got rejected. I wrote an entertaining food themed submission email but maybe its lost now :(

Yea, I wish I still had it.. it was funny :(

Stupid WINDOWS LIVE MSN MAIL AHAHA WTF tells me its saving drafts and sent letters but thats a fucking lie :/

Anyways, it was about the song being chock full of classic siamey bad instrument choices (playing chords on an oboe?! OUCH) and about how there is alot of source material in it, so at least it won't get rejected on those grounds!

Its a remix of "Truth" from ff8

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF8_minipsf.rar - 403 "Truth"

Once this started I said to myself, "I know I've played this on VGF." And indeed, there it was way back on VG Frequency #75. You definitely should have subbed this back in 2005. Nice intro keeping the instrumentation style of the original melody but beefing it up as well the trance elements surrounding things. Hit the source's chorus at 1:35 for a nice change of pace. I thought the oboes were all good myself.

Moved back into the trance groove at 2:51 before the source melody returned at 3:18, albeit pretty low in volume to me. Nothing wrong with it playing second fiddle until 3:33. Nice variations on the chorus at 3:32 to keep everything fresh. Definitely enjoyed the writing of 4:54's final section for the close.

I was feeling all of the sound choices involved. Good stuff all around. Solid production, dynamics, and sound variation, complimenting a creative, well-developed arrangement.

YES

What was that one FF7 mix you showed me back in 2004? As far as I remember, it was based off some snow theme. Whatever it was, it was pretty sweet and I never heard a peep of it again.

• 1 month later...

The opening sound is kinda cheap-sounding IMO, w/ very little low energy, a stretched out sample, and a lot of high end. However once other stuff starts coming in, it's really no big deal. I love the bassline here; really nice syncopation and sequencing. This is also a great example of how you can incorporate source material successfully into a trance build without being too generic or too liberal. I admit when I heard the source I didn't really think it could benefit from a trance overhaul, but you've done a great job here. I'm always impressed with how you interpret the melodies using a combination of melodic arpeggiation and cool rhythms.

I don't have a lot to say on production, except that it's good. Well-produced, nice and pumping, with a strong selection of sounds. Nothing too far out, but not a lot of cliches either.

Great trance mix.

YES

Right after that first pitch bend in the harpsichord, where the kick drops in, I actually smiled and went "oooh!" Nice.

I like the variation and builds in this piece; you don't fall into the trap of repeating stuff over and over and over again just to establish a groove. Things are there just long enough and we switch gears. That's not to say I wouldn't like to hear like a 15 minute extended mix of this where I could just veg out to the beats. XD

Anyway, nice work dude. The beats are hot and the synths are cool.

WUT WUT

I don't think I took to this one quite as much as the other judges. When the song is on full cylinders, it works, but I don't think it works that well in the breakdowns. The opening harpsichord on its own is thin and strange sounding, a little piercing even. Only when the beat joins, it starts to make sense. The transition at 1:36 is abrupt, and the oboe on its own afterward sounds a little thin again. I also thought that the second breakdown at 2:38 was too soon after the first, breaking up the flow.

These aren't major problems (though they are sort of spotlighted in the song) and the rest makes up for it. There's decent variation between the sections of your song to keep it interesting, and the build-up at 1:36 is actually quite refreshing for trance, the way it's sectioned out. Clever interpretation of the original too. Maybe a little too compressed, but it suits the genre. Ultimately, it clears the bar.

YES