Portal

The Dennis

Picked up Orange Box today, the release date in Europe. Naturally I bought it for TF2 - been waiting for a decent TF for almost ten years now dammit - but I decided to test out Portal right away too. And damn, I like it so far. Great sense of humor in there and awesome, very clever puzzles.. WORLD-NEEDS-MORE-PUZZLE-GAMES. So every now and then when for some reason I find myself NOT playing TF I might give this baby a decent GO.

Just searched this thread, doesn't seem to have a mention about newgrounds --

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/404612

>> Portal Flash version

There's a flash 2D game which is very much based off Valve's Portal.

Though I don't know too much about the HL2 version of Portal, this 2D one's a puzzler, but it's fun and challenging.

It's a pretty good flash game, might wanna check it out if you've got Portal cravings, or not, otherwise.

You obviously didn't check the first page, then.

Lol, excuse me for not seeing your post then.

Mind you, I DID read the first page, but, you must have your forum view settings to shows more posts on the front page. ;)

Seeing as I don't really have an interest in HL2 or Portal itself, I didn't read further - I just thought you guys would be interested in the flash game.

Awesome, thanks for the link on the whole "importing Half-Life into Portal" dealie! It's got a few bugs (getting stuck sometimes, portals not appearing, and Combine not actually shooting), but it's still very, VERY neat to be able to do what I wanted to do: Place a portal behind some Combine and blast them in the back of the head with a shotgun in my own safe little corner.

Word of advice: Don't shell out sixty bucks for a game that doesn't run on your shitty computer.

:(

I want to play this game SO SO SO MUCH. Why must my computer be made of shit?

Look on the bright side, you can log into your Steam account on a better computer and it will let you download the whole thing (or reload it from the same CD) for free.

...your computer can't even run one of the most power-unintensive games in the modern market? You can't even run Portal, which is ostensibly, levels comprised of small rooms?

BWA HA HAHAHA. Oh wow.

That's so pathetic, I'll *buy* you a computer.

Wait, does that offer stand for anyone? :shock:

Just so put it out there.

HL2 Specs.

Minimum: 1.2 GHz Processor, 256MB RAM, DirectX 7 level graphics card, Windows 2000/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Recommended: 2.4 GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, DirectX 9 level graphics card, Windows 2000/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

I was running it on my AMD 2400+ XP with 512MB Ram and Geforce 4 MX440. Didn't look great, but it ran fairly smooth. RAM is dirt cheap now anyway, so you should invest in some if you use your computer for more than surfing the web.

Edit: Here are the orange box specs.

1.7 GHz Pentium 4

512 MB system RAM

DirectX 8 compatible video card

Yeah, I'm guessing my graphics card is directx 7. It can play Half-Life 2 (which I am really loving). But when I try Portal, it goes "NOPE".

But when I think about it, my computer is like five dang years old, so this makes sense I guess. I really should get a new one. (Or have Wingless buy me a new one out of pity and elitism. :P)

This is why I rarely PC game. Because my computer is crappy. >_<

So, SO good. I bought this for $20 after all the hype, and at first I was skeptical. But it really is amazing. Fantastic atmosphere, great music & sound design, great humor, awesome gameplay. Took me about 4-6 hours total, I did die a lot (20-30 times) so I felt the challenge level was there. Not too many really annoying parts. The post-testchamber stuff is where I really began to enjoy it in earnest, particularly the end parts.

One thing that makes the game good is how it really makes you feel rewarded for figuring out how to do something. You genuinely feel smart and accomplished when you solve a difficult puzzle.

Yea, post test chamber stuff was the funnest part, WHICH is why I can't really wait for the next game with a Portal.

The game ITSELF seems like an experiment to see what kind of fun that could have with the Portal gun, and then after the testing putting it to a more "real world" less straight forward use. Now that the gun is loose....DUN DUN DUN

I'm also friends with GLaDOS on MySpace :o