Stormy Nights (TLoZ:OoT) [WIP]

DJ MacG

Always thought this was the best track from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. It's a remix of the Windmill Hut track, and it's made in 3/4th time (except for the beginning).

I don't plan on submitting this to OCR anytime soon, if ever at all. Really looking for some feedback and what I should do next. I'm thinking about adding in some rain and/or lightning. Good idea?, and if so, where do you think it would fit best?

You can find the song here.

I like the lo-fi effect at the start. It makes me expect a cheap techno mix, poorly encoded, so when at about 0:30 the song gets out of its intro, it sounds so much better.

3/4 techno has a very cool sound, tho I'm not sure this technically is 3/4. I'd probably refer to it as 3/4 too, tho, so what do I know? :)

Compositionwise, I'd try to spice it up a bit more with slight deviations from what you've got right now, to make it less repetative. Not by adding instruments or parts, just by adding little breaks and... well, making it more varying.

I'd also work a little more on dynamics and pacing. The rythm this piece has makes it a little choppy, and there are ways to counter that. Sometimes, it gets boring with the same rythm, so in parts where the theme isn't as clar, you might want to spread the sounds into the breaks you've otherwise got after every bass drum hit. Also, many of the best songs and remixes I've heard have had sections with less volume and intensity, and sections with more volume and intensity. It's called dynamics. I advice you to explore that.

I wouldn't add sound effects. Some people do that, and not all of them do it well. The Wingless has a wonderful mix of Super Metroid that begins with rain and thunder, but that's only in the intro. Sound effects in songs tend to sound a little too cheesy, effectively saying "look at me, I'm pretending to be in-game soundtrack". I advice against it, but if you can make it sound good, don't let my advice stop you.

Good luck. If and when you can make it sound good, do submit it to ocr.

Whoa, thanks for the long review. I'll check out and try everything you suggested.

I've never took any music classes or played any instruments, so I sort of don't know what everything does. I sort of just bought FL7 on a sudden impulse to mess with music. Which is why my music isn't top quality...

...Or no where near :P

Always thought this was the best track from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. It's a remix of the Windmill Hut track, and it's made in 3/4th time (except for the beginning).

I don't plan on submitting this to OCR anytime soon, if ever at all. Really looking for some feedback and what I should do next. I'm thinking about adding in some rain and/or lightning. Good idea?, and if so, where do you think it would fit best?

You can find the song here.

i cant imagine why you wouldnt think of submitting this dude this is a really good concept! probably one of my fav mixes!

heres what i suggest

maybe in thunder in reverse would sound cool as a lead into your 3/4 beat.

also something to think about, i really like the 3/4 mix, but i think after you do it in 3/4 for a couple measures you should go back to 4/4 because i wanted so bad in the song for it to go back to 4/4. Just as a personal preference i think the melody is best fit to 4/4. If you did this song would be a knock out! Also it needs some bass and counter melodies but percussion mostly very good.

Maybe some kind of music box sounding synth to back it up?

good job :)