Where to start? WK-3000 keyboard

Mazumo

Hey guys,

I've looked at all the tutorials regarding remixing, and i'm still very confused at what is necessary to even begin.

All I have so far is a Casio WK-3000 keyboard (which is a workstation?) and a MIDI to USB cable. Is there any other hardware I would be needing besides this?

This keyboard has some great sounds and I would really like to be able to record them as is. Could you guys recommend me some good payware that would be benefitial?

Thanks

I personally am pretty clueless when it comes to recording sounds built into a midi device, but as for what you need to start, pick yourself up a good ol' DAW and get started. Some ones to check out are: FL studio, Reason, Cubase, Sonar, plus a bunch more, but these are the main ones. Most if not all have demos so try those out and pick the one you think you can work with best. It's totally personal preference. I chose FL studio. As for other hardware, chances are you won't need anything else to start, although a good pair of headphones is always a good investment. Most people these days (myself included) are choosing to use mainly digital equipment, it saves money and space. It's also very convenient to have all of your synths, effects, and all that jazz in one place. Look around and see which DAW you might like. Watch some tutorial vids too, but most important is too fool around.

Good luck,

I agree, FL Studio is a good low priced sequencer that's great for beginners and veterans alike. If you have the money though, I prefer Sonar. It has always been more usable to me for my style of music making.

As far as hardware, if you want to record the sounds from the Casio, in addition to the MIDI cable you're gonna need an audio cable to connect the output of your keyboard to your soundcard. What type of cable depends on your soundcard. Looks like that keyboard has a 1/4" lineout jack, so one end of the cable should be a 1/4" male plug. The other end connects to your soundcard's input/line-in/etc jack so you need to make sure the other end of the cable will fit, or at least buy the correct adapter.

If you haven't seen the tweakheadz guide to the home studio, it's an excellent resource for beginners. If you start with the intro and read the first few "lessons" you should be up and running in no time. Have fun.