OCR01632 - Donkey Kong Country "Riptide"

djpretzel

Ahoy-hoy! I just had to register in order to say - awesome remix and awesome comeback! I've been an OCR fan since 2002, not sure why I never registered here but hey here I am now. Just wanted you to know that this remix prompted me to finally do so!

Best of 2007 for me. Also, thanks a lot for the higher bitrate version too - makes a big difference!

Hope to hear more from you soon. Disco Dan has been a favorite of mine since day one, so it's great to hear some new stuff!

Cheers,

Ken

Where most people struggle to make 4 minutes of music interesting, Disco Dan manages to fill 7 minutes with enough variety and, well, soul, for the song to never become boring (Blue Lightning anyone? Still one of my favourites after all these years).

That being said, I don't really care for the sound of the piano. A little to Robert Miles-esque for my taste.

Very good song, and I sincerely hope to hear more from DD in the (hopefully near) future.

• 2 weeks later...

Yaaayy!! Welcome Back Diso Dan!!!

This remix is fantastic. It's produced in classical Disco Dan style with care to every single detail in the original track! Amazing! The atmospheric feel, the beauty and and all the sounds bouncing through the track. Dramaticly beautiful opening with the follow of the kick drum! Amazing track!!!!:-P:-P:-o

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Discoooo Daaaaan~~~!

One of the 2 mixers who really got me interested in joining the site and trying to mix myself, based on his great Mega Man 2 mixes. Naturally, this mix lives up to the legacy, as it's a lushly produced mix of a superb source track. Also, if any track deserved to be spread out to almost 8 minutes, it's Aquatic Ambiance. Great use of reverb to fill the space, and the kettle drum kicks things along. Really nice stuff, conservative arrangement or no. :-)

Why is it that almost all Aquatic Ambiance mixes are so conservative? It's not a bad thing necessarily, but I've heard a ton of them and they all stick to the source tune exactly like this one did :?

Even with the conservative arrangement though, there's a lot of ambient effects that really let you sink into the mix. The length of the song also contributes to that effect, so this one's really perfect for repeat listens when you're just trying to relax and chill out. It's a great example of personalizing the song without really altering the notes music.

Disco Dan always impressed me in the past with his ability to forge truly epic music, and while this one doesn't seem to aim to impress as much as, say, Triforce Majeure, but it's still a very great piece in its own right!

I think any artist would be lying if he said he didn't care what the public thought of his works, so I won't pretend to be any different.

So true!

I didn't know Dan had submitted anything past his Zelda mix. Shows that I haven't been paying attention...

The thing I like about DiscoDan's stuff is that even though he brings the beetz, most of the time his stuff is still pretty subdued and "chill" as one might say. And very musical, which is important. This one is less like the zelda mix and more in the vein of many of his classic megaman mixes, 'cept slightly more ambitious in length.

I think the secret to his popularity is that he can take a tune and expand on it well while still keeping most parts of the original intact so that it's recognizable. That is much harder to do than it might sound like.

Dan, come back! You can still have a life and make a mix or two every once in awhile!

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Damn, I didn't realize I missed almost every Aquatic Ambiance ReMix when reviewing. The opening sound effects were very impressive and the smooth lead in set the mood. After the energy picked up, I loved it. It seemed weird to me hearing a technoish beat with a piano lead, but that wasn't a bad thing at all. Still seems a bit conservative on the melody in the middle, but really, there is no fault when its THIS melody. Disco Dan pulled this off nicely and this is a win to me. Thank god for a smooth and classy ocean ending.

• 2 years later...

Aquatic Ambience gets the Triforce Majeure treatment. Could the gods be any more generous?

This is a pure, meaty trance chill track that knows when to show off and also when to be restrained. And mostly, it restrains, which is a refreshing take on such a capable, sweeping melody. Yeah, it's conservative, but its also honorable. Which is better than being progressive but dishonorable.

The piano is slightly too shrill by my ear, but all is forgiven by those kicks from the kettle drum. That's a detail of complete brilliance. Also impressive are the newly stylised arpeggios and terrific marine atmos that really transports the music to a different depth.

Maybe it's slightly darkened by the shadow of Triforce Majeure, but this mix still holds its own. A must listen for anyone who loves the original song (which should be everyone).

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01632 - Donkey Kong Country "Riptide"