OCR01633 - Top Gear 2 "Rolling Start"

djpretzel

Definitely one where you don't need to know the original to enjoy it. Working the inbox as I do, I literally had to check the original to make sure this was direct post-worthy. The source tune isn't nearly as solid as this. Rayza makes the source material much catchier and listenable, IMO, an achievement for any mix. Groooooove bias.

Woah, it's been a long time since Club Del Toro. Glad to see the signature style's still there. The breakneck speed and completely unashamed use of very synthetic patches... it really brings a ton of energy to the mix. I liked the slow lead in before you beat the hell out of me with the backbeat. Maybe it's just me, but the entire mix has a sort of echoing, call and response feel to it, like it's bouncing off a cliff wall or something. Makes for a really interesting beat. The chopped notes and voices added a nice touch as well. Good stuff. Maybe someday I'll know enough about music to say something truly useful; until then, rock on!

First, I just want to say that Rayza's "Track1(FinalNitro)" was one of the very first remixes I downloaded from OCR. I'm always blown away by how the integration of a simple theme, great rhythm, and spine-tingling vocal effects create a song that never fails to inspire me for more speed.

Top Gear 2 is one of my personal key SNES games. In fact, it's in my console right now as I'm on a quest to reconquer it on "championship" mode. In my younger days, my older brother would listen to the main start up theme as we prepared to race against each other, always noting the distinct way the announcer says "you might be missing some of the benefits that stereo can provide". And in those days, we were missing some of the benefits, gaming on old mono RCA.

So naturally, I was thrilled to find that Rayza had posted up his remix of this theme. I know all I can provide here is a layman's assessment, but THIS MIX IS AWESOME! Rayza has taken the them and given it a distinct different view in his classic rocking-your-balls-off style. And I absolutely love the way he seamlessly integrated both "here we go now" and "missing the benefits that stereo can provide" into the compostition. I can tell you right now that when I'm biking or running, this mix will be playing in my head. Keep up the excellent work, Rayza! Thank you so much! :nicework:

And on a final note (again, I know I'm just a layman here), I would definitely support and love to see an OCR Top Gear 2 remix project. While the project would probably not be very large, it's easy to see that with a starting track like Rayza's latest masterpiece, it wouldn't rock any less! :-D

Although our project didn't come to completion, I'm VERY glad it got posted. I fell in love with this song since the first demo, it's too damn groovy. Awesome work Rayza, I didn't tell you this before but this might very well my favorite song from you.

I hope you decide to cover some of the other songs from the game too XD. And people there will be more mixes from this game getting submitted (and most likely posted) soon, so look forwards to that.

• 3 weeks later...

I must say that I have been waiting for this exact tune to be remixed since I stumbled upon OCRemix in 2002. I am so extremely pleased that not only was this tune remixed by such a great remixer, but that it was done so well. The use of the original announcer sfx from the game blew my socks off. THANK YOU! :-P

• 4 months later...

This has a great early-OCR sound as far as creativity, but the production is way better than the songs of the area. The pad idea in the beginning was excellent, what a creative and cool surprise. The song is in it for the long haul, focusing on an extended drive, rather than going all out right away. It's very effective, and even the sound effects come across as adding to the song, rather than being annoying. The transition sweeps are great, and the synth used in the for the halfway point solo is beautiful.

Great work all around. This is a classic mix.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Tremendous effort here. Noone can weave synth tapestries quite like Rayza, and his comeback has produced on of his best works.

The musicality of every miniature element in this is off the charts. Actually that's exactly what this mix represents for me; soaring past safe levels and into alarming amounts of awesome.

A welcome return from one of the more memorable signature artists of OCR.

• 3 months later...

I was surfing this site a little bit and browsed through the sites and noticed that in that description there was a nod-out to this song. And I said to myself, "Hey, it's Rayza, he's a pretty cool guy."

This song gets credit as the song that brought me back to downloading and listening to OCR music again. I love the gliding synths and the slightly retro feel that this song has, but at the same time the production is sharp and the samples are tasteful.

This song is great fun. Props to you.

• 4 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01633 - Top Gear 2 "Rolling Start"