1st Anniversary of a Writer's Block...

Oni-91

For about a year, I have been trying extremely hard to create a VG remix. Only problem is that I have the mother of all writer's blocks. I try something that I think is really good, only to come back to it the next day not liking it at all. I have seriously come to the end of my tether with this thing. I've tried to find inspiration in other pieces of music, but I can never seem to make new ideas from it: I just replicate them. A two-month break from music writing hasn't seemed to help either.

Has anyone got any ideas for breaking my curse?

I'm assuming you play an instrument? If not, try learning to play something. Piano is highly recommended if you plan on continuing writing music, though most people given the choice will pick up a guitar (it's easy to learn, but hard to master).

If you already play an instrument, why not try playing in a new style? If you already play some piano or guitar, why not try playing jazz, and especially try improvising?

Or, if you're more of the studious type, have a listen to some music you would normally never listen to, then study it. If you're a fan of modern pop and rock, check out music by Haydn and Mozart, for example, especially symphonies and concertos. Don't just listen, understand the form, the chord progressions, the arrangement.

You might also want to listen to some John Cage-y style electronic music. Check out the collections of electronic music, particularly "An Anthology of Noise and Electronic Music," which now has 4 volumes. That kind of "music" is usually an acquired taste, but it'll get you thinking outside the box.

I'm more of a rock drummer, yet I've started to take up the guitar too.

For the last two years, I did a GCSE in Music. Listening and appraisal was a big part of that, with the final exam being based on that and worth 40% of the final marks. I ended up with a very high A (1-2% off an A*), but my main downfall was in composing. I made three compositions, a remix of Pretty Fly for a White Guy, a drum rondo and a minimalist piece for guitar, piano and drum kit. I got consistent marks in all of these (about 23/30, with the A* threshold at around 27.)

So, I have the ability to make music, but I just need a drive. Also, I think one of my main weak points is writing a decent melody, which is natural for someone whose first instrument was the drum kit...