Looking for a collab partner

I WAS looking for just ONE partner to do production for me on my Valkyrie Profile arrangement. However, the response was really really warm, so it's turned into a bit of a competition. So basically anyone who wants to take a stab at producing this thing, can do so. When everyone's done I'll announce the "winner," who's name will end up on the remix along with mine and then get submitted and subsequently rejected with possibly a "NO Override." HAHAHA! Just kidding. I doubt that will happen. In fact, I feel confident that this one will get accepted with the first submission. Either way let's do our best!

Game: Valkyrie Profile

Song: Behave Irrationally

Genre: Death Metal (perhaps a bit more brutal than Cursed Bloodline)

Program: Done with Sonar, but if you can do it in another program, that's fine.

Job Description: To take my pre-recorded guitars, drums, vocals, and bass and make them sound as "good" as possible while also giving attention to my "production requests" below.

Production Requests:

REVERB:

The second syllable of the word "Heaven" at 0:37

The final note of the lead guitar part at 3:54

The entire final guitar solo and more so than any other part.

CHORUS:

The last four notes in the lead guitar phrase at 3:43

UNORTHODOX/STUPID STUFF THAT I DON'T WANT CHANGED:

Having way too many kinds of really loud cymbals.

The part where I put a bit of flange on the tom drums.

Explosive sounding low tom drum hits at the end.

EVERYTHING ELSE:

1) Kick drum much heavier sounding than just the usual "click" that is the norm for metal.

2) Please make my toms, especially the lowest ones, WAY heavier. They seem to be so dang light right now.

3) Please make the words, "Jun" "Suo" "Shiho" "Yumei" in the beginning of the song, and "Ragnarok" "Einherjar" from the middle of the song very heavy and maybe even with a little chorus.

4) I don't know WHAT should be done, but can you make the line, "You have been chosen by Odin." have more impact, please?

5) Basically all of the guitars are free for you to EQ as you'd like, but the lead guitars at 3:07 sound so light for some reason. I leave them in your hands.

6) The explosive low tom drum hits at the end could be more explosive in my opinion.

7) One of the rhythm guitars at 4:34 has a dip in the volume for a moment, which was on purpose, but it's not creating the effect that I was going for. Please do something to it to make it sound cooler.

I think that's everything.

You can respond in this thread, PM me, or talk to me on MSN Messenger or AIM.

MSN = chaahan@hotmail.com

AIM = Enta no Kamisama

Participants:

Legion303

Sixto

Fray

Suzumebachi

Fishy

File download:

I'll send you a private message about the FTP site that Legion303 was so kind to build for this. Make sure you say thank you to him in the thread if you download the files. I'm going PM style because it won't be good to have people who are just "checking it out" to also be taking up bandwidth by downloading it all.

This Remix is different from other remixes on the site. If it passes it will be the most brutal death metal remix (that I know of), and definitely the only Viking Death Metal on the site, and most importantly, the first Valkyrie Profile mix. I hope you'll join me. ^_^

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

CHIPP Damage

I beat you to the death metal thing by several years. :P

(And another one in judging.)

But anyhoo, I can do your bass and production work if you want. Although my bass is just guitar with pitch and formant transposition, so you could probably do that part yourself.

Let me know if you want to do it and I'll set up an FTP account for you to transfer wav (or FLAC) files.

-steve

Wrong forum; moved to workspace.

Sorry about that. Thank you.

I beat you to the death metal thing by several years. :P

(And another one in judging.)

But anyhoo, I can do your bass and production work if you want. Although my bass is just guitar with pitch and formant transposition, so you could probably do that part yourself.

Let me know if you want to do it and I'll set up an FTP account for you to transfer wav (or FLAC) files.

-steve

Are you talking about Phalanx? Well. . . I GUESS that counts. Hahaha. Damn, you beat me by like 13 years too! Well, I'd love for you to do it if you can. Gotta warn you though, this song is much longer, heavier, and more complicated than Phalanx. But I've got faith that you can do it. I've actually come a long way with it from the point I started. But since asking everyone for advice again and again wouldn't really constitute a remix that is entirely made by me. This means that your name being stuck onto this remix will also represent all the advice I've gotten from everyone else until now too. Let do it! Tell me what you want me to do, and I'll do it.

Can I listen to your newest death metal remix?

Holy crap! Sixto?! The dude with the prettiest guitar sound ever wants to produce MY Viking Death Metal song? Nuts! Thank you. I don't know what to do. Of course, if you want the music sent your way to play with, I'd send it to you but since Steve replied first, it's only fair that I let him have first dibs. But I'd LOVE to hear what you'd do with it even if it WASN'T going to be submitted to OCR. ^_^ Would you like to receive it? And if so, how would you like to receive it? (That sounds kinda funny.)

Why don't you let us both work on it and choose the one you like better, since it's your remix? I think Sixto and I are both adult enough not to get our feelings hurt if we lose out. :P

I'll PM you the FTP info, then you can PM Sixto and I when you're done uploading and he can just leech the files from me.

-steve

PS: The production on Phalanx did suck even though I worked on it forever, but it was pretty old. The one I have up now is available at http://neutronstar.org/music/Steve_Pordon-Undying-Lizbeth's_Reawakening.mp3

Why don't you let us both work on it and choose the one you like better, since it's your remix? I think Sixto and I are both adult enough not to get our feelings hurt if we lose out. :P

I'll PM you the FTP info, then you can PM Sixto and I when you're done uploading and he can just leech the files from me.

-steve

PS: The production on Phalanx did suck even though I worked on it forever, but it was pretty old. The one I have up now is available at http://neutronstar.org/music/Steve_Pordon-Undying-Lizbeth's_Reawakening.mp3

Mind if I d/l it too? I'm curious to give it a try.

WHOA! This is nuts! Like Tensei said, I am flipping. Thank you, so much everyone. I didn't think there'd be so many people who'd wanna work with little ol' CHIPP Damage.

Well, Legion was the first person to respond and I gave him first dibs because of that, but if he says that doesn't mind letting it be a competition then I know what I must do. Maybe I'll see if I can change the title of the thread.

So anyone who wants to produce this thing, is welcome to try and in the end I'll choose the one I like the best for submission. Later I'll put all my "production requests" in the first post. So everyone, just tell me how you want me to get the files to you and I'll do it. If it's FTP business, you'll have to give me step by step directions, cause I don't know how.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE AND THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Feel free to contact me.

MSN = chaahan@hotmail.com

AIM = Enta no Kamisama

Wow. Do I really deserve all these props? ^_^ Thank you.

OK! I finally finished taking care of EVERYTHING. ALL the information that the participants, or those who want to become participants, need is in the very first post. So go check it out, and download my 200Megs of WAV. files (Thank you Legion) and have at it. I hope a couple more people join this.

Assuming everyone who initially said that they'd like to do it confirms their participation, we've got:

Legion303

Sixto

Fray

Suzumebachi

Thanks guys. You're the best. I can't wait to hear how cool you make this song.

Hey guys, I'm gonna be out of town just for one day and one night. Legion, could you PM me your email address? I looked all over your profile page but couldn't find it. See you guys again soon. Suzumebachi, could you give me a confirmation of your participation, haven't heard anything from you since your original post. ^_^

Alright! A warm welcome for Fishy! He's our 5th and newest contestant. Thank you for coming. I can't wait to hear the various production styles of you guys. More than one person has asked me about the drums and bass, and they in fact ARE from midi, so I'm trying to get the midis of those on the FTP site in case you want to tamper with them.

Is November 18th a fair enough deadline for you guys? I don't know how much people usually spend on this kind of thing. I know I spent 3 months just to make it sound below average. Hahaha. Until people start complaining, that's the date I'd like to go with.

So please send me a link or through email by. . .

NOVEMBER 18TH.

Thought it might be fun to post progress and talk about what we did.

http://www.winter-light.net/nbmont/Valkyriemix_Fray_v2.mp3

- Bumped up the volume on all the cymbals and hats. Toms too.

- Fed all the percussion as a group through the Cakewalk tape sim effect with medium saturation. It kinda helped take some of the "fake" sound out the drums and put them in the same space, meaning I could bump the volume up on them a bit without exposing anything unpleasant.

- Bumped up the low mids on the guitars to give them a more thick sound

- Swept along the EQ to find the nice growly parts of the vocals and boosted them a bit

- Put a high cut on the vocals to help disguise some digital clipping. I think the recording levels were set a bit too high when Chipp did the vocals, which I imagine can be tough not to do when you're screaming bloody murder into the microphone :P

- Put delay on the lead guitar parts to roughly match the original mix (it sounded pretty good).

- Compression on most of the pre-recorded parts to even out the levels. I used it pretty liberally because we're going more for ass kicking than subtle dynamics :P

- The usual dose of compression on the kick and snare.

- Tried to EQ the kick to get a little more "thud" out of it, but it's still a little too trebly I think.

- Put some of the standard death metal flangy stuff on the vocals. I plan to give them some more detailed treatment later, but I find once you do a bunch of automation and such it makes the track harder to deal with later.

- Put some light amp distortion on the bass to mask the syntheticness.

P.S. The lyrics are fucking hilarious :)

P.S.S. Fixed the link.