Looking for a collab partner

Your mix is really sweet man. It's interesting to me how the snare drum sounds cool in the entire mix, but just those 1st beats sound all echoy and funny to me. Other than that, I liked the sound you had for the solo at 3:07 on your previous version better. It sounded less "muffled" if you will. Also, from 3:30 you can turn up the rhythm guitar a little bit more. I'd like to hear it blend with the lead a bit. Did you add a phase shifting effect at 4:33? I like it. I'd like it to be even more audible actually. Vocals might be a bit too quiet on the final verse and on the part starting at 1:00. The only other thing I'd like is some more chorus (or whatever effect it would take to make it sound like 3 or more people singing) on the words, Ragnarok at 2:18 and Einherjar at 2:24 and maybe not chorus, but just bassier EQ or something on "You have been chosen by Odin." The chorus doesn't seem to be working for me. Sorry I'm so damn picky. Legion requested another week so it's granted for everyone now.

Heh, all I did was turn the snare drum up for the first four hits. Maybe it sounds weird because I turned the reverb up along with the snare itself.

For the solo sound at 3:07 do you mean v5 or v10 was better? I can't tell any difference between the tone in v10 and v12 :P But yeah v5 does have a lot more air to it.

I'll turn up the rhythm guitar at 3:30, no prob.

Yeah I did put in a flanger at 4:33 -- you mentioned you were trying to get an effect by turning the guitar down there, so I experimented with some stuff. I'll make it a little more obvious.

I agree about the vocals being way too quiet in the final verse, I already fixed that :) I'll turn it up at 1:00 too.

Will do more chorus on Ragnarok and Einherjar. I'll see what I can do about Chosen by Odin :P

Probably the final version from me, save for fixing any last minute items that are still bugging you:

http://www.winter-light.net/nbmont/Valkyriemix_Fray_v16.mp3

- Did my best to restore the guitar tone at 3:07 to what it was in v5. I actually "un-tweaked" the guitar tone in a few other places because I thought maybe I'd changed it a bit too much from your original idea, which is not something I ever meant to do.

- Louder guitar at 3:30, vocals at 1:00 and vocals at end

- Made "You have been chosen by Odin" really big and loud :P Boosted the guitar phrase just beforehand too so it would fit in a little better.

- More obvious chorus on Ragnarok and Einherjar

- More flanger at 4:33

- Teensy bit of M-S compression on the master using Vintage Channel to spread the stereo image out a little (I kept it subtle because I'm really new at using that effect).

- Turned down the reverb on the snare intro

- Used that new boost11 peak limiter to raise the volume a bit... no real squashing except at the very loudest parts of the mix, and I think it adds a pleasing amount of grit to those segments.

At this rate I'm never going to make it into the Einherjar...

Link fixed :)

On second thought, use this one, I think I managed to clean up a little more ear fatigue w/o obviously changing the sound.

Edit 2: Crap, now the lead guitars are a little too quiet in the last two versions :( I'll fix that tonight...

Edit 3: Ok I fixed the guitars to be a little louder, they fit better now:

http://www.winter-light.net/nbmont/Valkyriemix_Fray_v18.mp3

I still have a cold. I think this round is going to Fray, who put a shitload of work in. :)

I don't need credit for it, but if Fray wants to use my 4 seconds of guitar lead harmony I'll export it.

-steve

You may be right. I wonder what happened to Sixto. I was really curious to hear one with his original drum sounds.

If Fray agrees, I'd TOTALLY love that guitar harmony yo. How do you rule so god damn much, legion? I'll give it another night or two and if I don't hear anything, then Fray is the winner.

I guess it's time to announce the official winner.

By default: Fray!

Congratulations, Fray. You now have the honor of being rejected with me. ^_^

Thank you, everyone who participated. I hope you had fun, at least in the beginning. And I hope you didn't run away because of. . . because of something really bad. I don't know what I wanted to say there. A big fat thanks to Legion for hosting the files for everyone to use!

Well, Fray, when you say it's ready for submission, I'll believe you. Just one thing though. Can you pan the two harmonizing guitar solos to the left and right instead of both on one side, and the final solo to the center, please? ^_^

I guess it's time to announce the official winner.

By default: Fray!

Congratulations, Fray. You now have the honor of being rejected with me. ^_^

Thank you, everyone who participated. I hope you had fun, at least in the beginning. And I hope you didn't run away because of. . . because of something really bad. I don't know what I wanted to say there. A big fat thanks to Legion for hosting the files for everyone to use!

Well, Fray, when you say it's ready for submission, I'll believe you. Just one thing though. Can you pan the two harmonizing guitar solos to the left and right instead of both on one side, and the final solo to the center, please? ^_^

Default... the two most beautiful words in the english language :)

When you talk about the panning of the harmonizing guitar parts, do you mean the new thing from Legion? Also, isn't the final solo already centered? I'll check on it tonight.

Besides that I might try to make the kick drum a little more prominent -- I think it's gotten a little lost as I've filled out the other parts.

Okay, here we go with probably the final version :)

- Fixed the panning on the harmonized guitar solos. I completely spazzed out and had both guitars 30% left when I meant to have one on the right. Sorry about that!

- Boosted the kick around 6kHz because otherwise I could barely hear it on headphones. Lemme know if it's too clicky for your taste -- I deliberately made it less so than the one on "Gods of War Arise".

- Added Legion's Guitar Harmony of Apocalyptic Doom (thanks Legion!). Panned it to the opposite side of the main melody, I think that's what was intended...

And for once I'm going to get the damn link right on the first try. Here goes:

http://www.winter-light.net/nbmont/Valkyriemix_Fray_v19.mp3

Oh btw, let me know if the encoding is ok. I used VBR, some people don't like it.

Whoa, I think CHIPP will flip out when he hears this, because it's damn awesome. I'm impressed with the way you were able to salvage such a good tone from the lead guitars. I still get some ear-fatigue, but nowhere near as bad as in the earlier version, so that's alright. If it were up to me, I'd say you guys are ready to submit :)

Whoa, I think CHIPP will flip out when he hears this, because it's damn awesome. I'm impressed with the way you were able to salvage such a good tone from the lead guitars. I still get some ear-fatigue, but nowhere near as bad as in the earlier version, so that's alright. If it were up to me, I'd say you guys are ready to submit :)

Heh, he's already heard about 50 versions of it from me, poor guy :P

Yeah I still feel the ear fatigue too. I think it's a combination of the blast beats, "crying" guitars, and my meager skills :P But at least it's less than before, like you said.

Nice lovin the guitar at 1:43 and 3:23. IMO the lead guitar in some of solo sections could use a small boost in volume.

Thanks for listening. What spots in particular?

Haha, thanks CHIPP :) It's been crazy fun working on this remix! While I'm proud of the work I did on it, it's just icing on a really good arrangement.

Btw, would you like a CD or something of the mix project? It's in Sonar 7 (I think you said you had 5, so you couldn't use it unless you upgraded). I don't think I used many external plugins, and the ones I did use were all free (Kjaerhus Flanger and Blockfish are the only ones that come to mind).