Watership Down

Jabberbox

Just watched the movie on youtube, and now I want the book.:razz:

anybody here ever watched the movie, read the book, or vomited in disgust at the tv series?:banghead:

comments? opinions?

favorite moments?

I personally thought it was a great story, the movie was well done (despite the relative goryness.8-O)

and I loved how fiver was psychic, or something along those lines, and how it seems the gift had taken its toll on his personality.

ending was sad, though it was well done.(:puppyeyes:)

I watched the movie all the time when I was a kid, read the book later, and saw the movie again recently. I really liked both, especially the book. Never saw the TV series, though.

I have to say that even after all this time, the movie was still freaky and violent as hell, and not just a distorted childhood memory.

I watched the movie all the time when I was a kid, read the book later, and saw the movie again recently. I really liked both, especially the book. Never saw the TV series, though.

I have to say that even after all this time, the movie was still freaky and violent as hell, and not just a distorted childhood memory.

heck yeah, but it was purely in the interests of magnifying the drama, it wasn't senseless blood.

I just saw it for the first time yesterday. and it is a very good show.

the TV series was an animated series that extended through the original story, the sequel (yes, he wrote a sequel, but it was a bunch of random short stories in the same world.)

and than they made up more stuff...

but they butchered it royally.

none died in the series (or even permanently injured)

the rabbits were a bit too human for it to be considered "xenofiction" in the series, and unlike the book and movie, which were intended for more mature audiences, the series was aimed at children specifically.

and it was cheesy, sappy, and annoying.

I've owned the movie on DVD for years, and yes it is really good if a little bit slow at times. They could have left out the musical bits but every animated feature had to be musical back then. Regardless, it's an excellent version of the story and I'd love to see it get an updated treatment. I bought the book off of Amazon last year and yeah, it's a fantastic read. There's so much interesting stuff they couldn't fit into the film, but that's usually how it is. I recommend both very highly. Note, Watership Down is written for mature audiences and the movie follows the same tone. I never saw the TV series but I heard it was aimed at children so I didn't bother seeking it out. I did read the sequel though. It's a collection of "Rabbit Myth" short stories mostly. Still interesting but not on the same level as the main fiction.

It was good to see they didn't tone the book down.

Correction. Richard Adams wrote the book first. The movie was alright, but compared to the amazing awesomeness of the book, it still falls flat. Strangely, Watership Down was the only book I ever liked from Adams... he's a very strange writer. Plague Dogs was weird, and Shardik was absolutely bizzare.

I've always wanted to see the movie, as the book is one of my all-time favorites. It was pretty much what I did my sixth grade spring break. My dad (an English teacher) tells me it's one of those books which reveals more with successive revisitings, and as such, I've been meaning to pick it back up. People often talk about how Tolkien's world-building was impressive, and I'm not saying it isn't, but I think it's fairly awesome that Adams managed to do many of the same things with rabbits, of all animals.

As for his other books, I tried reading Shardik right after finishing Watership Down, and just couldn't get into it. I'm thinking I might have been too young at the time.

I saw that movie a dozen times when i was a kid, but i never realized how damn violent it was until i saw some screenshots on the net.

It's been over 15 years since i've seen the movie. Maybe i'll watch it again sometime to actually figure out what the movie was about, because when i was a kid, i only watched it because there were bunnies in it...

Fantasic book, but it's been at least ten years since I've seen the movie so I don't really remember the film. I'll probably Netflix it now, though. After reading the book, I'd also recommend reading it's never-mentioned sorta-sequel Tales from Watership Down. It's not really a sequel but more just a bunch of short stories that involve the mythology of the rabbits and also some events that occur after the original book. Obviously it's not as good as Watership Down, but it's still worth reading for fans.