Street Fighter IV

ILLiterate

At first glance, I thought the characters' proportions were ridiculous, but having seen it in motion I think I understand. The exaggerated proportions match their exaggerated animations, making the whole enterprise feel more consistent if not necessarily more realistic.

My only beef now is that the character designs haven't been updated one jot since 1991. The concept art of Guile holding a jacket gave me the false hope that maybe they wouldn't look exactly the same as they have for the past 15 years.

It's a new system for 'countering' and 'coming back' but it's not like parrying. We'll see. The interview I read (on 1up.com) said that the confinement that the walls create help make Street Fighter what it is, but I have no idea how they are going to implement that.

Of course they're not sprites. But these 3D models can be seen as redrawn versions of those old 2D sprites, only using polygons instead of pixels (drawn in the sense of placing points on an X/Y/Z grid, instead of pixels on an X/Y grid). Of course, you could also call these polygons a remolding, seeing as working on 3D models is more like working in clay (start with a basic shape, and build from there).

Regardless of how you look at it though, this is yet another version of familiar characters.

And speaking of characters, I wonder if Balrog, Vega, Sagat and Bison are going to wind up appearing in some form. They're all that's missing at this point.

Exuse my bad word choice, but I think you know what I meant, Darkesword. (Well, Coop did anyway.) I'd love to see Sagat remodelled. He's always had one of my favorite character models. Well, at least in the Alpha series. He's a little too anorexic in SF2-SSF2T.

Actually, speaking of Alpha, this game should feature as many characters from that ark of the series as possible. It would make things a little less SF2- ish. If the developers are trying to follow some stupid storyline, they need to stop that right now. Street Fighter is not know for it's storyline, and few people care for that to change.

Storyline is for RPGs :<

Exuse my bad word choice, but I think you know what I meant, Darkesword. (Well, Coop did anyway.) I'd love to see Sagat remodelled. He's always had one of my favorite character models. Well, at least in the Alpha series. He's a little too anorexic in SF2-SSF2T.

Actually, speaking of Alpha, this game should feature as many characters from that ark of the series as possible. It would make things a little less SF2- ish. If the developers are trying to follow some stupid storyline, they need to stop that right now. Street Fighter is not know for it's storyline, and few people care for that to change.

Storyline is for RPGs :<

Street Fighter isn't know for it's storyline?! My Street Fighter The Comic: The Ultimate Edition sitting on my bookshelf disagrees. So do my Street Fighter Alpha and Sakura Ganbaru mangas.

I PLAY STREET FIGHTER FOR THE RIDICULOUS STORYLINE AND I'M SICK OF M. BISON.

Street Fighter isn't know for it's storyline?! My Street Fighter The Comic: The Ultimate Edition sitting on my bookshelf disagrees. So do my Street Fighter Alpha and Sakura Ganbaru mangas.

I PLAY STREET FIGHTER FOR THE RIDICULOUS STORYLINE AND I'M SICK OF M. BISON.

Sounds like someone's stompped on your head a few too many times, lol.

Is that the Udon comic you're referring to? I've heard good things about that, but I've never read it before. I've never heard of the manga before in my life, either. How is that?

Sounds like someone's stompped on your head a few too many times, lol.

Is that the Udon comic you're referring to? I've heard good things about that, but I've never read it before. I've never heard of the manga before in my life, either. How is that?

All very good. The Alpha manga and Sakura Ganbaru (which are both in the same continuity) are very good.

Udon's comic is also great in that it touches on a lot of elements of the stories of the Alpha series and II and sort of rolls them up into a cohesive story. The second part is starting soon, and they're also planning a mini-series based on SF3, which I'm really looking forward to.

Seriously, is giving these people new costumes too much to ask?

That is definately one area I can agree on. These characters need at least some small design touches added if they want to stay original. Like the design on Ryu's and Ken's gloves is a good start but they could still do more. New Costumes or even new clothing designs or accessories would at least add a little more freshness to them.

What's funny is that if the costumes were different people would gripe even more. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like some alternate costumes. Actually, I think this could very well happen, due to the diversity of costumes in some recent Capcom games, like Dead Rising.

I do hope that half of the characters are new, but I'm putting my money down on awesome game play, which is what Street Fighter games are made of.

They aren't going to redesign the characters (at least the base costumes) because they are trying to cash in on the SF2 name.

The whole reason SF4 was even green lighted was the sucess of SF2:Turbo on XBLA so they are pretty much aiming the marketing of the game at the guy who played SF2 back in the day and who remembers the original 8 characters, but who hasn't bought a 2d fighter since then`.

They do show game speed though.

Game speed is one thing, but actually playing it is another.

Take Brawl for example. Compare demos you seen at smashbros.com to actual more "competitive" gameplay that is on Youtube and you can see there is a major difference.

Playing a game hands on differs majorly when compared to things you see in a demo.

I'm pretty sure everyone's seen them by now, but 1up.com just did some coverage of new videos from SFIV, and I think you'll enjoy them, if you haven't seen them already. (Notice I'm emphasizing this because I know how you fans are, geez, don't mention something and then get accused of shiz, I tell ya.)

Anyways, find those videos here: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3166294

Oh yeah, I've also read SOME of the Udon comic, and I can vouch for DarkeSword, it's quite impressive. I'm hopeful we'll see a trade paperback at some point, as I haven't been able to get to the local comic shop, since I really don't like the new owners, and the old comic shop I used to go to isn't friendly to you standing there reading the comics.

I'm pretty sure everyone's seen them by now, but 1up.com just did some coverage of new videos from SFIV, and I think you'll enjoy them, if you haven't seen them already. (Notice I'm emphasizing this because I know how you fans are, geez, don't mention something and then get accused of shiz, I tell ya.)

Anyways, find those videos here: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3166294

Oh yeah, I've also read SOME of the Udon comic, and I can vouch for DarkeSword, it's quite impressive. I'm hopeful we'll see a trade paperback at some point, as I haven't been able to get to the local comic shop, since I really don't like the new owners, and the old comic shop I used to go to isn't friendly to you standing there reading the comics.

It's out in trade. Street Fighter: The Comic Ultimate Edition. It collects the entire first series. That's what's sitting on my shelf. PAY ATTENTION DUDE :(

• 3 weeks later...

Nobody will post in it so why bother? Also, this kind of graphical update with High definition hand drawn sprites was what SF4 was rumored to be for a while. I find it highly ironic that KOF got the treatment after all the lousy KOF games in the last 3 or 4 years.

Also, another similarity is that both games are done in the style of renowned comic/character-design artists. Both do look great in that aspect I would say, but for different reasons.

Yeah, I actually never played XI and it's apparently $15 in most stores. I hear it's a followup of KOF2k3 too (IMO one of the best ones aside from the 90's ones).

But even more than Street Fighter, KOF games seemed to languish with its sprites, but maybe it seemed that way since they made about a dozen KOF games compared to the constant remakes. I don't really count the sharpened sprites like some people have mentioned in this thread too, though it's a nice addition. KOF games always passed off each year as a sequel so that seemed disingenuous. Street Fighter always seemed more consistent even if they were mostly remakes. And now it seems they are finally moving forward with KOF in all aspects. It's not just in the wording either. Finally they move away from the nearly decades old sprites.