Street Fighter IV

ILLiterate

Good god, KoF XII looks fantastic. I wonder why they changed Terry's design again. They finally stuck to his MotW look, and new they are changing it back to his old?

They already have MotW Gato and might even have Rock so I don't see why not. I think Terry's old designs are just ancient. It's about time to change.

As for SF2:HD comparison, I think that's somewhat apt except I don't think they'll try to overhaul the system like KOF series tries to do every year. I hope KOF doesn't have an off year with the kind of graphics KOF XII will have.

So I admitted I didn't play one game but that doesn't change the fact that KoF as a series never had the overhaul the way SF2:HD and SF4 is having. It doesn't strike me as coincidental. I don't see what's so bad about comparing the two franchises that had the most direct impact on one another. I'm a fan of both.

So I admitted I didn't play one game but that doesn't change the fact that KoF as a series never had the overhaul the way SF2:HD and SF4 is having. It doesn't strike me as coincidental. I don't see what's so bad about comparing the two franchises that had the most direct impact on one another. I'm a fan of both.

You missed the point of my post. I was referring to you talking about "lousy KOF games in the last 3 or 4 years".

But they were, until I heard about XI.

After KoF2k3, they kept running the formula to the ground and that's also the time they concentrated on the Street Fighter EX style pseudo 3D King of Fighter games. That part of the series was like a black eye to the games. I don't see what's so impertinent about what I said.

Further elaborating, XI was the true sequel to 2k3 after all. So that means everything inbetween 2003 and very late 2007 was all rehashes and bad spinoffs. That and the fact that the sprites were basically close to being decades old since they kept re-making the sprites upon the older ones. I guess the jump would be similar to how Street Fighter 3 was with Alpha and the other SF games. For KoF it really has never been done before, counting out the sharper sprite remake of KOF 94.

Further elaborating, XI was the true sequel to 2k3 after all. So that means everything inbetween 2003 and very late 2007 was all rehashes and bad spinoffs.

Stating the obvious, aren't we? Considering that KofXI was the only new 2D KoF released after 2K3, the amout of games where "they kept running the formula into the ground" isn't exactly very high, is it?

And don't even start to count MI in this; it's a completely different game, and it plays very differently, too. So no "running the formula into the ground" here either.

Also, the boss-fights are actually fights and not just the boss spamming the same three special moves.

Edit: And by the way, KoF XI was released in '05 (Arcade) respectively '06 (PS2), not 2007.

Edit Edit: I finally remembered a game that fits Injin's description to a t: KoF Neowave. I have to give you that.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh wow it's sweet. The only thing I don't like is the slightly long loading time before matches. Otherwise, the game is tight. Graphics are excellent, though I think the controls are a little slow if not just a tad stiff. Otherwise, this game kicks ass.

Let me tell you what, Ultra Combos are awesome. I've only played around with Ken and Ryu, but both of their super moves are epic. Their ultra combos rock the house, and that new move that you can charge up by pressing the middle kick and punch buttons is awesome. It's especially great if you can fully charge it, it automatically attacks for you.

From already playing it extensively in the arcades and at Street Fighter Club San Francisco, this game is exactly what the genre needed. Near perfection, accessable for all comers while the new Focus Attack lays down a ridiculous layer of depth

Get it

You've summed up everything I was thinking, but could not say.

I played it last night for hours, unlocked a few characters - I feel that arcade mode is pretty tough - I really enjoy the system, its got a bit of every street fighter rolled into it - the fighting feels thick and well done. You definitely feel like your playing a street fighter. The revenge system is very neat, and the 'charge-up' attacks keep things feeling fresh. My biggest quirk system wise is that there is no Air Block, but... i guess that prevents certain setups.

My one biggest gripe is that the throwing-based characters seem overpowered as all holy hell right now - maybe im just not familiar enough with the system yet, but going through as Zangief i could just cyclone to the enemy, grab him a few times, and insta-win. I did it against my seasoned SF friend too, we both thought it was kinda BS. comparitively, my honed Ryu skills i failed many times against certain CPU opponents like the Throwers. (Abel is the other one that seems broken like zangief, No matter what i did, i could NOT stop him from throwing me when i was getting up, there we're also many times he outranged my jabs and STILL threw me.)

Seems like you can throw immediately as the target gets up, the priority system feels a bit different involving throws, it feels easier to grab someone.

Seems like you can throw immediately as the target gets up, the priority system feels a bit different involving throws, it feels easier to grab someone.

Command throws as reversals have been a part of the series for a while now -- you'll find them in SF2HDR, and I think that you could do this in Alpha 3 also (super throw as reversal).

Don't stand so close when they stand up! :P

I got the collectors edition cause I preordered. Unforunately them changing the street date of the game to the 17th fucked me, cause I didn't get paid until today, and as of today, the gamestop here gave out all the headbands yesterday. So I was one of the 5 people that didn't get one. Way to go gamestop for taking too many preorders. Irony of it is, there were at least 3 employees there with their headbands on.