Street Fighter IV

ILLiterate

Diggin' it. Appears to be fairly deep, though only time will tell... haven't read the manual yet so I'm just playing SF2 style at the moment. PSN, "djpretzel", if anyone's down.

Don't care for the j-popish intro track but overall the score seems hot.

Gameplay-wise, the jumping game seems radically different... I hear people complaining about moves being sluggish, but honestly everything on the ground seems fast enough, but in the air... wow, kicks sometimes come out REALLY late. It seems very difficult to kick early/preemptively, and of course, SF3-style throws mean I suck in that arena.

But overall, it's growing on me. More and more it seems like the fighting game I'll be playing for the next few years, learning more, etc. In other words, it seems like a plausible and viable successor to 3 and 2, which was the biggest challenge ANY 3d game would have had.

Load times are bad plus they seem very quiet... I would have thought looped music would be a no-brainer...

Love all the options/tweakability.

Still gonna be playing HDR quite a bit, and feel like I'd be saying that even if we weren't involved in the score, but SF4, on initial inspection, seems pretty damn tight.

Diggin' it. Appears to be fairly deep, though only time will tell... haven't read the manual yet so I'm just playing SF2 style at the moment. PSN, "djpretzel", if anyone's down.

Don't care for the j-popish intro track but overall the score seems hot.

Gameplay-wise, the jumping game seems radically different... I hear people complaining about moves being sluggish, but honestly everything on the ground seems fast enough, but in the air... wow, kicks sometimes come out REALLY late. It seems very difficult to kick early/preemptively, and of course, SF3-style throws mean I suck in that arena.

But overall, it's growing on me. More and more it seems like the fighting game I'll be playing for the next few years, learning more, etc. In other words, it seems like a plausible and viable successor to 3 and 2, which was the biggest challenge ANY 3d game would have had.

Load times are bad plus they seem very quiet... I would have thought looped music would be a no-brainer...

Love all the options/tweakability.

Still gonna be playing HDR quite a bit, and feel like I'd be saying that even if we weren't involved in the score, but SF4, on initial inspection, seems pretty damn tight.

OMG PRETZELPOST

interesting you should say that about the loading times, they're really not too bad on xbox as far as i can tell. either that or i'm too patient.

but really, ever since i learned about the name rearrangement of Balrog, M. Bison, and Vega, capcom has been on my shit list.

Big deal. You can probably count the number of people on one hand who hate Capcom because of this.

"Nintendo has been on my shit list ever since I learned the US Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2. HOW COULD YOU DO THAT?!? I hate you Nintendo."

:tomatoface:

Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu

I'm enjoying it so far. Got it on ps3 and playing with a DS3, never was too much for arcade sticks but the Mad Catz fightpads seem nice. I unlocked all the characters and played for a few hours with my friends. Game clock at 15 hours now. Ryu seems better now but I'll always stick with Ken.

Anybody know how to cancel out of an EX super and into an ultra? I know you can do it, I might have even done it. People say to do a Focus attack during an Exsuper and then input the ultra but it's not working out for me.

PS trying that with Ken.

Aye, I got two of them myself for 360 (Ryu and Blanka) and they're waaaay better then the 360 controller. Also, has anyone been able to do all the combos on the Challenge Mode with Ken? I can't get that first hard one for the life of me. I have to EX focus out of a shoryuken, cancel the focus attack, then hit the ultra while the opponent is falling towards the ground.

So is no one with a 360 even attempting to try the joystick? I'm using it and it's working great for me, and I've always been a joystick-hater when it comes to fighting games. To each their own, I guess.

Loving the game so far, certainly challenging (especially that damn final boss). I really like playing as Bison in this game, so far I've been unstoppable with him. His ultra combo is really sweet.

I also agree that the grapplers have been massively buffed in this game, though it is nice that Zangief's controller-input for his piledriver no longer causes him to just end up jumping half the time.

And to all the Street Fighter fans out there who want the game but aren't sure they want to part with $60, trust me, it's worth it. This game's a blast.

Aye, I got two of them myself for 360 (Ryu and Blanka) and they're waaaay better then the 360 controller. Also, has anyone been able to do all the combos on the Challenge Mode with Ken? I can't get that first hard one for the life of me. I have to EX focus out of a shoryuken, cancel the focus attack, then hit the ultra while the opponent is falling towards the ground.

Remember that you can cancel by dashing both forwards and backwards out of the Focus -- the instant you see the yellow to indicate that you've cancelled, start a dash either way.

Also, the game scales damage down the longer your combo is -- that means that long strings into super or ultra may not be worth your time. Chun-Li's 2nd hard trial combo certainly isn't (J. Roundhouse, C. Forward, weak Lightning Leg, C. Forward, super).

I picked it up this morning for €40, absolute bargain seeing as most new games on launch here are ~€60. But yeah, i'm with the others, go with the install, really. It'll save you tons of time. I'm kinda surprised that it's not mandatory but at least it gives you a choice and doesn't force it on you like other games.

Haven't had the chance to play it much yet though, and won't over most of the weekend (and can't even get online either *sniff*) but from what I've played I'm really enjoying it so far.

So...my friends and I played a lot of this game today. Impressions.

The whole "here comes a new online challenger while playing offline Arcade" is great. Seamless and online gameplay is extremely smooth thus far. It's not perfect though. What really sucks about it is this pops up so frequently it gets frustrating. I wouldn't mind in intermissions between matches, but oftentimes you get this in the middle of the freakin' match...and obviously after you're done with your online opponent you're forced to restart the match. There should've been some sort of option to set the frequency of these online pop-ups or limit them to just intermissions.

So the game itself is really smooth. I got into the game's new concepts immediately. Old SFII gameplay with new flavor still holds up to the best until of fighters this very day. Old characters are are a mixture of familiarity and freshness while the new characters I've seen are creative. Arcade mode is kind of repetitive, though. Was surprised that they didn't include any of SFII's cool wrecking mini-games or something. Difficulty is also pretty uneven. Normal can get really hard and even Very Easy can be a challenge at times. That's Street Fighter, though.

Graphically, I see some really nice production values but it's not the best looking fighter ever. Smooth framerate. Nice effects. Great backgrounds. The biggest flaw here is the conflicting character designs. Each character has an in-game model, an official art model, and the anime cut-scene model....all of which are featured in the game and are really different from each other. There should've been more consistency with how each character looks. It's not that I hate the anime cut-scenes even though they're not the best quality in the world. It's just that I would've really preferred to see all these story scenes played out through the in-game engine instead...or even draw the anime cut-scenes and models to make them closer to their artwork models, just like what the flashy intro FMV shows off. Same problem with the in-game engine...to me, the character artwork have the best designs...yet there are some in-game models who don't look close to their artwork counterpart at all. Ryu and Ken are the best examples...their in-game faces look really, really weird. Don't like 'em at all. Finally, Seth is a horribly-designed character. Yuck. Looks like he came out of the freezer or something. Silver Surfer rip-off.

Music is sweet stuff. Nice techno and really catchy beats. Remixes are pretty good as well, yet not near the diversity and creativity of HD Remix's soundtrack. English voice acting sucks. Japanese voice acting rocks.

Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu

I have only one thing to say about this:

Gouken!!!

Also, i know Ryu's Family tree, so im SOOOO proud of myself and stuff... um yeah.