Street Fighter IV

ILLiterate

Hey,

I haven't played Street Fighter since Super (Yeah, not even Super Turbo) in the mid 90s, but I'm an avid Guilty Gear player. I've seen SF3 played, and from what I've seen, I don't like the direction it's taken.

It looks like SF4 is at least in part a return to the past, with virtually every SF2 character represented, but also a new and quite interesting looking game mechanics. it also looks like in the 10+ years I haven't played SF, the movelists really haven't changed much, just supers added, and a few tweaks here and there.

How are the game mechanics? I hear the focus attacks are pretty neat.

Any GG players here? Care to shed some light from that perspective?

Oh, one more question. Are there PS2->360 converters available? I've got an arcade stick for PS2 I've been using for Guilty Gear, and would like to use it for SF4 as well instead of shitty 360 d-pads.

Nobody responded to me? >_< Guess nobody on OCR plays both Street Fighter and Guilty Gear.

So I got to play SF4 for a few hours. Guess what? It's great! My strongest observation on the differences between SF4 and GGXXAC is that SF4 relies really heavily on strategy and mindgames, whereas a GGXXAC player needs really good reflexes on top of good mindgames to be good. This is not poking either game, but it seems playing smart is more important than playing fast in SF4.

Focus attacks are cool. It looks like they make great anti-airs for everything except really quick jabs. With no air blocking, jumping is really dangerous - a huge change from GG where double jumps, air dashes, and air faultless defense keeps players airborn quite a bit.

Looking forward to playing more SF4. This is one of the few fighting games outside of GG and BlazBlue that I can really get into. It looks pretty deep too, with a wide variety of characters and strategies.

======

Concerning the Mad Catz SF4 pads, it's a huge improvement over the 360 pads. Having a good D-pad is really important if you are using a pad. I still haven't found an answer as to whether I can get a converter or something to plug my ps2 arcade stick into a 360. Any ideas? I've got an HRAP 2:SA

So I got to play SF4 for a few hours. Guess what? It's great! My strongest observation on the differences between SF4 and GGXXAC is that SF4 relies really heavily on strategy and mindgames, whereas a GGXXAC player needs really good reflexes on top of good mindgames to be good.

You can get by with a lot less execution in SF4 than in AC but if you are really into the execution stuff there are a ton of links that require timing within the 2-3 frame range that can really increase the damage you do in combos, depending on what character you use.

Also GT, to fight Gokuen you have to get ONE perfect and THREE ultra finishes with a character you've already beaten arcade mode with. I think you have to have Akuma and have already beat arcade mode with im as well. Don't get anymore than one perfect or you will fight Akuma. Just set it to one round and easiest difficulty.

I JUST got him. Thanks though! It was driving me nuts because Akuma kept coming out.

lol just couldnt help himself, could he? is he a drag queen now too?

:( ugh, sorry, i just couldnt resist. I'm sorry. But if i didnt know any better, i'd almost think you set me up for that.

can i get a player count? who all made it to SF IV?

Ryu

Ken

E. Honda

Guile

Chun-Li

Blanka

Dhalsim

Zangief

Balrog

Vega

Sagat

M. Bison

Sakura

Dan

Fei-Long

Gen

Rose

Cammy

Akuma

and new characters

Gouken (Ryu and Ken's teacher)

Abel (French amnesiac)

C. Viper (American spy woman)

El Fuerte (Luchador/Cook)

Rufus (Annoying fat guy)

Seth (SNK Boss)

Someone sell me on this game. I just finally got ok at Street Fighter 2 after HD Remix came out and years of Guilty Gear snobbery. Why should I bother with 4 when 2 is a blast, prefer the HD Remix sprite style over the SF4 3D models, and SF2 HD Remix has a sweet ass OCR OST to go with it? I'm not being a troll, I feel legitimately tempted to get SF4 but SF2 HD Remix seems good enough from everything I've read. I never really played SF2 so SF2 HD Remix is basically just a brand new fighting game for me.
Really wanting to pick this up... but I just don't know...

Have they nerfed any people or does SF4 pretty much play the same as SF2?

I'm not too sure if you would like to immerse yourself in SF4 if you're just starting to get used to SF2 in general. I feel that SF4 is a logical progression through the SF series. If you skip from SF2 to SF4 there will be a bit surprised at the new things that are in there. But they should be familiar if you have any experience with SF3. So really, Capcom is kind of rewarding loyal fans that have been keeping up with SF in general. EX attacks are still in there as well as the 2 button throw and overhead.

Can you play SF4 the same way you play SF2? Sure, but you'll realize that you won't be too effective as you were before. Most of the moves haven't changed technique-wise. You won't be able to throw just by getting up close to them and pressing a button. To me, that's a definitely something you probably would like to get used to. There are new nuances to the game that you might not like. Still, you'll get used to it after playing a while. The basic SF principles hold. They just might come out a bit differently than in previous games. But typically, SF2 was a huge quarter eater back in the day. Just about any other SF reincarnation has longer matches on average. So you really get a good chance to learn how to use a character and the game mechanics in longer sessions than 15 second intervals.

What I really like about Capcom is that they don't really forget. They might make some tweaks here and there, but they're overall pretty consistent (not including plots). Things like funky kick and chicken wing are still in there. So they're definitely one of those companies that aren't afraid to pay homage to previous games or even parodize themselves which is really great.

Oh yeah, I've played this game twice before in the arcade. I don't have any current gen systems. I play SF2 on my SNES. >:D

360 analog > PS3 analog > PS3 D pad > 360 D pad.

I love using the analog. It's like a miniature arcade stick for the thumb. I want to get the real stick, but $150 is a bit much right now. And that damn stick is limited edition. F'n Madkatz.

Also, I LOVE fighting Kens and Ryus now that I've started mastering Rose. They can't do their cheap jump-in kicks when I'm prowling with Rose's anti-air grab. My mission in life right now is to murder all Ryus and Kens I run across to.

360 analog > PS3 analog > PS3 D pad > 360 D pad.

I love using the analog. It's like a miniature arcade stick for the thumb. I want to get the real stick, but $150 is a bit much right now. And that damn stick is limited edition. F'n Madkatz.

Also, I LOVE fighting Kens and Ryus now that I've started mastering Rose. They can't do their cheap jump-in kicks when I'm prowling with Rose's anti-air grab. My mission in life right now is to murder all Ryus and Kens I run across to.

It really is quite rewarding. :-P Too bad I suck with Rose otherwise.

But are all these Ryu/Ken spammers on ranked games? 'Cause I've been running into a fair amount of people who just pick between characters on player matches.

Also agreed on the whole stick thing. From what I've been hearing, unless you actually spent the green on the deluxe, you might end up with a defective standard stick. Of course it IS MadCatz... I think I might grab myself a Hori EX2 stick if I can find it/has decent reviews.

You won't be able to throw just by getting up close to them and pressing a button. To me, that's a definitely something you probably would like to get used to

yeah pressing two buttons instead of one is sure to fuck everyone up royally

also I am going to marry Sakura

Also agreed on the whole stick thing. From what I've been hearing, unless you actually spent the green on the deluxe, you might end up with a defective standard stick. Of course it IS MadCatz... I think I might grab myself a Hori EX2 stick if I can find it/has decent reviews.

I think the sticks used at MAGFest's OCR panel were Hori EX2's, and they felt great. They're also only $50, so they won't destroy a budget.

Man, I am in love with Chun li. She is so fucking good. I love what she can do. The mix ups are just so great.

I played Chun at the Gamestop tourney today, where only 4 people picked someone that wasn't Ryu or Ken. The non-shotos are great people -- pick those characters up!

I think the sticks used at MAGFest's OCR panel were Hori EX2's, and they felt great. They're also only $50, so they won't destroy a budget.

I played Chun at the Gamestop tourney today, where only 4 people picked someone that wasn't Ryu or Ken. The non-shotos are great people -- pick those characters up!

Guile Guile Guile Guile Guile Guile Guile Guile Guile Guile Guile Guile Guile Guile Guile Guile Guile Guile Guile Guile Guile Guile Guile Guile Guile Guile Guile Guile Guile Guile Guile Guile.

Also Sakura and Akuma. I found the perfect way to fuck with Sagat players that rely on their tiger blast for zoning. Spam Akuma's teleport and dragon punch the shit out of the arsehole.