Street Fighter IV

ILLiterate

I'm only good with Ken mostly. I feel like I'm falling into the "oh not another ken" thing online but he's my favorite character and I don't pick him for any other reason. Zangief+lariat spam online is horrible. I just have been cluster fucked every time against it. What does one do besides Hadouken it?

As of tonight I'll be playing this on the PS3 as well. Anyone can feel free to add me to their friends list. I'm sure I'll get my ass handed to me often, and by everyone for a while at least.

I'm also thinking about getting either a game pad or an arcade stick for this game. I'm not sure what to go with as far as quality controller options, so if anyone has some recommendations let me have them. I'd prefer an arcade stick, but they can be a tad pricey.

I feel like I'm the only Sakura player out there...

I'm still the only Guile player I've seen. I guess nobody wants to play dittos anyway since I'm usually the one who picks their character first. It's funny when people need to wait for their opponent to pick their character first. Just play who you like playing and have at it.

I feel like I'm the only Sakura player out there...

Sakura's my main in Alpha and I'm really diggin' her in 4.

She has some wicked combo setups still plus her EX Shououken and Shunpukyaku are awesome. She also has a lot of safe setups.

She doesn't have many effective cross ups though. The thing is, with the changes to some of her moves and the gameplay style, I'm not sure it's as needed as it was in Alpha, and she still has a really big toolkit of moves with some good properties like her c.HP being super effective against almost any jump in.

And her Focus Attack has some gnarly range, although I'm not sure how much that'll matter if people start learning to counter it effectively. Easy trap to begin humiliating scrubs though.

P.S. Sloogs on PSN for anyone who wants to play, although there's a good chance you'll be playing my room mate instead of me unless you instant message me ahead of time.

I've always liked Guile because of his simplicity, but also because ALL of his moves seem to just hit hard even without an elaborating combo or link. In HDR, I did OK with him, but in SF4 I've been doing really well despite the fact that I haven't practiced him much. His focus has a nice range and his EX moves are fantastic - the EX flash destroys almost anything and EX sonic booms to go through other projectiles and to punish is nice too. My favorite thing about him though is that this low roundhouse hits twice. Seems like a lot of people stop blocking after the first hit thinking they're safe, but he moves forward a bit and often times that second hit connects.

I've always liked Guile because of his simplicity, but also because ALL of his moves seem to just hit hard even without an elaborating combo or link. In HDR, I did OK with him, but in SF4 I've been doing really well despite the fact that I haven't practiced him much. His focus has a nice range and his EX moves are fantastic - the EX flash destroys almost anything and EX sonic booms to go through other projectiles and to punish is nice too. My favorite thing about him though is that this low roundhouse hits twice. Seems like a lot of people stop blocking after the first hit thinking they're safe, but he moves forward a bit and often times that second hit connects.

Because there aren't alot of Guile players, people aren't as familiar with him. It's quite easy to trap others because they don't know what to expect. I've met two Guile players now, and i had quite a hard time with them. Shoto's are easily done in by a decent Guile player. When i use Guile, i also use the D-pad, seeing as his moves are more easy to perform that way.

And i came across two Sakura players, lost one and won one. The match i won was pretty easy, however, the guy who i lost against was, i dunno, maybe a cheater? He set up a crazy combo which i've NEVER seen anybody else do. Starting off with a few jabs, EX Tatsumaki, and then arial down FP's me FOUR TIMES. For some reason both our characters went up after one of those arial punches, which never happened when i was playing Sakura...

I'm not advocating that people stop using their favorite characters here, but not EVERYONE can possibly be a Ken player. Case in point, Sakura has always been my favorite SF character since Alpha 2, therefore I use her. She probably sucks compared to other characters, but I haven't noticed since I'm too busy getting better and kicking their asses with her.

Guile is cool, but he's been pushed to secondary. I usually use Sakura for my ranked, and just play around with other characters during player matches.

Also, I find it strange that people are up in arms about Street Fighter IV not being "casual-friendly." I have a few points.

1. When we say casual, who are we talking about? Are we talking about people who've dabbled in Street Fighter/other fighting game but not too much, people who play other games and not necessarily fighters, or people who are casual gamers/don't have gaming experience period?

And

2. Ranked matches in any game are usually gonna be pretty hard and competitive. Learn to deal with it or just stick with player matches with your buddies/random online people.

I guess one thing that is a bit irksome(if I had noticed it) is the whole "cherry picking" of ranked matches which I don't even know how to do. Hell, half the time I have to keep refreshing the game list since I can never seem to connect to a game unless I create one. Second, and it's really more anecdotal than anything, but it's funny to see people "respond" to whomever you pick by rapidly switching over to another character. Doesn't really bug me, it's just funny that they think it's really gonna make a difference.

As for things I'd like to see improved upon, this whole 2 people only lobby thing has got to go. DOA4 did it perfectly back in '06. A lobby with plenty of people, limited game seats, and the ability to watch other people play. Shit, is it too much to ask for a lobby that can hold 4 people or something?

Ok my essay is over.

Because there aren't alot of Guile players, people aren't as familiar with him. It's quite easy to trap others because they don't know what to expect. I've met two Guile players now, and i had quite a hard time with them. Shoto's are easily done in by a decent Guile player. When i use Guile, i also use the D-pad, seeing as his moves are more easy to perform that way.

And i came across two Sakura players, lost one and won one. The match i won was pretty easy, however, the guy who i lost against was, i dunno, maybe a cheater? He set up a crazy combo which i've NEVER seen anybody else do. Starting off with a few jabs, EX Tatsumaki, and then arial down FP's me FOUR TIMES. For some reason both our characters went up after one of those arial punches, which never happened when i was playing Sakura...

Its her K shoryuken, she jumps up and can hit a few times before knocking you downwards. legitimate

it's one of my favorite combos. :-P

Keep in mind I don't really care if people whore out Ken. I just know how to avoid most of his crap at this point.

Also, Sakura is great for mixups and crazy fun. First, psych out your opponent by turtling a bit, toss in a fwd mid kick, a few spare charged hadoukens when they get close, then mix up the hell out of 'em with a few well placed combos. I actually use most of the combos from the challenge mode actually. They're pretty effective. jump high punch, crouch mid kick, EX hurricane, sakura otoshi x 3, or mix it up with a focus, mid punch, dragon punch, Haru ichiban.

I'm on ps3 as well tragick is the name.

I find that network mode is best played with the Arcade mode online aware thing that I'm sure most people turned off immediately and forgot about it (Hey, I did at first!). Doing ranked matches and then having to pick a session all while competing with other players to even get a game is tedious. When you're playing arcade mode the offline is more like a lobby and you keep getting matches almost consistently. It beats staring at a menu.

Where did everyone get the idea that ken is really good? he's not.

I've used Ken since the SNES days. I'm trying to get used to Gouken and a few other characters. I'm quite decent with Ken but otherwise I'm not even a fraction of as useful. Ken's really easy to use, simple to understand, I think that's why people pick him. Online it's kind of a toss up but against the CPU I can't beat anyone without Ken (I'm working on the challenges.)

Personally I'm more of a Ryu fan myself.

I really like goukens charge hadoukens (reminds of the Denjin super from third strike).

still like fei long (though he is a little toned down)

hate cpu zangief,abel,and SETH with a passion.

anyway love this game (cep't for the ultra cheap boss)

play me online if anyone feels like it.

(if you send me a friend request just say something like i saw you on ocr or something

I generally ignore random friend requests from gamercards i don't know)

Anyone on PS3?

I'm on PS3, its a shame that you can't cross-fight over the systems :( that would be a very cool feature. PSN is simply 'k-wix'. I've been learning how to play a mean Ryu and Zangief. Currently sitting at 2k BP.

I'm having lots of troubles against Sagat and well-played Goukens, they nail me with that throw into special every time.

I liked Ken until HDR came out. After a few rounds, I got tired of seeing him so I moved to Dee Jay.

I mainly use 'Gief in IV, with the occasional Dan and Sakura to mix things up. It gets annoying playing someone that jumps the whole match trying to avoid an SPD. Except Akumas, since their air fireballs are piss easy to avoid, they always telegraph the raging demon (from a full screen away), and they die quickly.