Street Fighter IV

ILLiterate

I'm zirconst on 360.

So, after playing this game a fair deal...

* I just broke 1k BP.

* I'm WAY better at canceling moves. Before, I couldn't do even basic Fei Long combos. Now, I can do them most any given time.

* The game itself just "feels" really nice to me now. Playing HDR is a bit weird!

* Fei Long is not quite as bad as I had thought. He's just different. I still wish his CW hit overhead and had better priority, though.

* Chun-Li is really good, at least vs. Fei. A good Chun player can easily set up some 25-30% combos that are difficult to block.

* Sagat is ridiculous.

I've just gotten kind of frustrated with the wonky input windows for special/super/ultra moves and the inconsistent difficulty levels across the board; going up against wrestler characters is really draining when they constantly grab you and hit you with massive amounts of damage.

I feel your pain, i hate fighting Abel and Zangief.

I feel your pain, i hate fighting Abel and Zangief.

Hmmm Zangief players for me are either really easy or really hard. its annoying because Cammy has no projectile moves. So it becomes a waiting game. He waits for me and i wait for him. I actually won once because time ran out. I basically get a move off then jump away. Her Hooligan combo/throw it actually pretty effective. abel is different, a good abel player is tough to beat.

BTW another cheap way to rank up, set the timer up for like 10-20 secs, (whatever the lowest one is) get some quick hits in and stay back. Happened to me twice. (i didnt set it up that way the other person did)

I always found Abels kinda funny in terms of them grappling you. Sure it's a pain of getting air/overhead shots at him as he seem's to have the perfect antiair.

However, I've always noticed right before he does anything annoying, he'd roll to the other side and then grab doing the combo, same with first over head then leg hit. If you can dodge/block them you're good as gold to punish them. Especially with a super if timed right.

As for Abel's super, much like Ryu/Akuma/Gen/Dan(?), just jump to avoid and get him dizzy with cheap hits; unleash a super if possible afterwards.

zengief,abel,and,seth especially all annoy me but only in cpu form

they just seem to get those special throws on me right on getup perfectly EVERY TIME.

it gets a little infuriating sometimes.

i had an ultra on seth right in his face i thought i had it perfect and he just broke it with an ex shoryuken with out a second thought(god he has to be one of the cheapest bosses I've ever faced)

I had some trouble with abel in single player too i was trying to beat him with dhalsim and he just was able to crush me like 20 times in a row again mainly with special throws.

i personally like the character abel myself didn't think i would like him at first but i got to like him as i got to know him moves more.(I'm proud to say that i do not use throws of any kind in the least there just too cheap to me (you should see my zangief hes F'n wierd)

I've just gotten kind of frustrated with the wonky input windows for special/super/ultra moves and the inconsistent difficulty levels across the board; going up against wrestler characters is really draining when they constantly grab you and hit you with massive amounts of damage.

I absolutely could not agree with you more concerning the ultra moves. Why in the name of mighty fuck were they included in the game? What a waste of disc space.

The supers and the super moves system I actually do like and am in agreement with. Honestly I don't feel your pain concerning the wrestler characters. I tend to kick the fuck out of them, although, I agree they deal insane damage when they land.

Who is your main character DarkeSword?

I main Gouken and El Fuerte, but I've been trying to learn Gen lately. It's very frustrating when I switch styles and can't pull off his Oga, which is basically the entire reason you switch to that style. It's the same key combo as a Spinning Bird Kick, but the input windows in SF4 are so unforgiving that it's impossible to pull it off in the heat of battle.

I have huge respect for those that can play Gen well, i simply can't handle the style changes.

I main Zangief+Ryu, and I know Abel really well. El Fuerte is one of the best characters in the game vs Zangief, there are a few setups El Fuerte has that are very difficult for Z to counter.

If your getting thrown by the 'thrower' characters as your getting up, you can simply hold up/jump and they will wiff every time, Beyond that many characters have specials they can go into as they are getting up that make them immune to throws.

Also, incase anyone didn't know - you can literally throw Abel out of his roll, you just gotta time it right.

I main Gouken and El Fuerte, but I've been trying to learn Gen lately. It's very frustrating when I switch styles and can't pull off his Oga, which is basically the entire reason you switch to that style. It's the same key combo as a Spinning Bird Kick, but the input windows in SF4 are so unforgiving that it's impossible to pull it off in the heat of battle.

Stop being mad and try a few different characters. Gouken is pretty cool but El Fuerte is barely formidable with someone who is extremely skilled at the the game. It really is a great and well done game as near as I can tell. I'm also curious whether or not you're referring to playing against the computer or against people online..?

You might be surprised how much fun you have kicking peoples ass as Ken, Ryu, or even Gouken for that matter.

Input windows UNFORGIVING? :( Are you serious? Aside from link combos, the input windows for SF4 are unbelievably easy... half the time I get shoryukens when I do a hadouken, and I actually have to restrain myself from doing 3x rekka chains, whereas in Super Turbo that was very hard to do. Not to mention ALL the wrestlers have much much easier motions, along with Fei and Cammy (compared to original ST), and reversals are so easy now that it's almost a joke. You have like one second of time to input the motion as compared to a handful of frames.

I actually think SF4 toned down inputs too much - not that I like execution barriers, but try doing Bison's ultra and not teleporting.

Input windows UNFORGIVING? :( Are you serious? Aside from link combos, the input windows for SF4 are unbelievably easy... half the time I get shoryukens when I do a hadouken, and I actually have to restrain myself from doing 3x rekka chains, whereas in Super Turbo that was very hard to do. Not to mention ALL the wrestlers have much much easier motions, along with Fei and Cammy (compared to original ST), and reversals are so easy now that it's almost a joke. You have like one second of time to input the motion as compared to a handful of frames.

I actually think SF4 toned down inputs too much - not that I like execution barriers, but try doing Bison's ultra and not teleporting.

I agree with you. Really I do.

Now when are you going to log on so we can bash one another up?

Stop being mad and try a few different characters. Gouken is pretty cool but El Fuerte is barely formidable with someone who is extremely skilled at the the game. It really is a great and well done game as near as I can tell. I'm also curious whether or not you're referring to playing against the computer or against people online..?

You might be surprised how much fun you have kicking peoples ass as Ken, Ryu, or even Gouken for that matter.

You're telling me to try different characters, but then you recommend Shotos?

Sorry, but I try to avoid the traditional Shotos when I play Street Fighter. I can play Ryu, Ken, and Akuma just fine. I have no problem playing shotos. Everyone can play shotos. I always try to get away from that. That's why I play Gouken; he's very different.

And really, try playing charge characters with a thumbstick or d-pad. It's not easy. I'm sure it's much better with a joystick, but I can't get one.

I've heard good things about this game and have been meaning to try it actually. Most people I know from the Smashboards seem to think that Gouken is generally good, and in the past yeah, the shotos have been easy to pick up. I hear Dan is actually a legit decent character this go around. How does Sakura handle? I've played the Alpha games/MvC2/SvC a good bit (she was oddly enough a main of mine) and was wondering if she played like any of those. Though, obviously the SNK vs Capcom Sakura was different from the Marvel vs Capcom 2 Sakura. On the analog vs d-pad subject, I've always found d-pads to be pretty good all around and preferred them over the joystick, but I've noticed a good bit of Zangief players using the stick.Whether the stick makes the 360 commands easier, I don't know since I haven't tried it.

You're telling me to try different characters, but then you recommend Shotos?

Sorry, but I try to avoid the traditional Shotos when I play Street Fighter. I can play Ryu, Ken, and Akuma just fine. I have no problem playing shotos. Everyone can play shotos. I always try to get away from that. That's why I play Gouken; he's very different.

And really, try playing charge characters with a thumbstick or d-pad. It's not easy. I'm sure it's much better with a joystick, but I can't get one.

I recommend giving Rose a try. I use her as my main because a lot of her combos are very familiar coming from someone who knows how to play shotos, but her normals give her a very different set of tools and her ultra is anti-air.

Or get good with Dhalsim. There are some amazing Dhalsim players out there. He's all about the normals and ineffectualizing opponents through distance games.

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy9g3D_tZ-M

Ryu can't do anything. He's stuck. I mean, the guy playing Dhalsim basically invalidated his entire game. And the Zangief match... that's just masterful zoning right there.