Street Fighter IV

ILLiterate

1. Throwing out long-recovery moves too often (Shoryuken, Shienkyaku, Flash Kick). Use these if you have a guaranteed reversal window or if you're chaining them from something else. Otherwise, if you just throw them out, they leave you open to massive damage.

This one. Something I did and broke the habit of and notice people doing who are obviously just learning the game.

Take this advice and more so, learn to experiment with your medium and light attacks especially when applying to specials. (Even more especially Hydokens and Shoryukens)

4. Throwing out ultras too often. Ultras are flashy and do lots of damage, but a lot of people use them out of desperation or because they hope someone won't block. This usually doesn't work. Use an ultra when you KNOW it's going to hit - ie. Ryu's ultra when someone is falling out of the air, after you hit someone with a focus attack, during a stun, chained from a combo. Otherwise, you're just gonna do chip damage at best, and probably take a hell of a lot more (ie. someone else's ultra).

Too, too true. Don't fall prey to trying to pull off an Ultra when you already have the advantage. Maintain your strategy, keep your distance like you normally would or would not, and don't forget your EX bar.

It's called "Buck Fever" and it will get the better of you if you don't maintain your wits.

p.s. I still fucking hate Ultra Combos.

I'd love to play some people from OCR and maybe get some tips from better players, but I'm so bad right now it's embarrassing. Last fighting game I played seriously was Capcom vs SNK 2 around 6 years ago. Back then I was one of the best in my area at that game and stuff like Street Fighter Alpha 2 and 3, but none of us was ever tournament-level.

I've played around 120 matches online so far and I have a 24% win rate. I thought it might have something to do with lag, because a lot of times moves don't come out right online and it generally feels slower than arcade mode, but if I'm feeling lag then the person I'm playing against is having the same issue against me, right?

but if I'm feeling lag then the person I'm playing against is having the same issue against me, right?

In my experience, yes. If I play someone with a mic, and lag spikes pop up, they almost always complain and usually blame me for it. And yea, lag really sucks, there are quite a few matches I've lost that I can almost certainly blame lag entirely for.

I have a question, it may or may not be answered in the manual. Just the same, I would rather raise the suspicion here.

What I'm wondering is: Is there a cool down period between EX combos? It seems like sometimes I can chain them and sometimes I can't. I don't know if it's because I'm putting in different input on the control or sometimes I wait slightly longer before I try to activate another one.

Yes zircon, I agree; both Akuma and Sagat are a pain the ass when used even moderately right. And lets do some more matches.

What I'm wondering is: Is there a cool down period between EX combos? It seems like sometimes I can chain them and sometimes I can't. I don't know if it's because I'm putting in different input on the control or sometimes I wait slightly longer before I try to activate another one.

There is no cooldown on EX moves, you can chain them as much and as frequently as you'd like. If your doing normal instead of EX, then i'd most definitely say its a case of missed button presses or possibly even lag. I tend to use PunchX3 and KickX3 for my EX moves.

Sagat can be hard too, but then again, he's hard for everyone.

Except Blanka eats him for breakfast. It's like the vast majority of matches are favorable in Blanka's favor. I love how the Blanka cannonball goes right through projectiles. It literally makes enemies stutter in fear. You can see the panic in the shuffles. lol

Except Blanka eats him for breakfast. It's like the vast majority of matches are favorable in Blanka's favor. I love how the Blanka cannonball goes right through projectiles. It literally makes enemies stutter in fear. You can see the panic in the shuffles. lol

Blanka's roll does not go through projectiles, only the EX version does... and most characters have EX attacks that go through projectiles. It doesn't make their matchups vs. Sagat much easier. Sagat has high stamina, does tons of damage, has a great anti-air (standing roundhouse), powerful combos, and one of the best projectiles in the game, not to mention Tiger Knee is brutal and has basically no recovery. Oh yeah, and he can chain his ultra really easily.

The characters that have the best matches against Sagat, all other things being equal (according to tier listings), are Ryu, Dhalsim, and Akuma.

In my experience, the best way to deal with Sagat - no matter who you are playing as - is to play a careful offense game, your mission is to get to the middle of the screen and slowly walk up to Sagat, do not jump or attempt a move. No matter who your playing, once the gap on Sagat gets tight (IE: you can jump and land next to him) he's at a big disadvantage.

If he attempts a high kick, you can sweep him. If he attempts a Fireball, you can jump in and rail him. If he attempts a Tiger Knee, you can block and throw/nail him. It's a vulnerable position for him.

This position puts incredible pressure on Sagat, most of them get twitchy here and toss a Super move - especially if they are just trying to abuse the fact that he's a higher tier character and have no clue how to truly play him. If they stand still, you can tip-toe in even closer, and feint him into doing something. You can try a Focus attack, then backdash out of it. There are many ways to fake someone in this game, it all depends on who your playing. I play a lot of Sagats with Zangief, and that should be a very difficult matchup, but i usually win simply because i know how to put pressure on him. Once you get Sagat on the floor, maintain the pressure by sticking on him and baiting his Uppercut.

I agree that getting close to Sagat is the only way to win, but that can be said of any character. Nobody can win with just long range attacks, except maybe Dhalsim. Projectiles are used mainly to control the space, rather than a pure damage tool. The key is exactly how close to get. This depends on the character. Fei Long dominates roughly at the range where he can hit you with a Rekka punch. At this range, he can EX Rekka/Chicken Wing through a tiger shot and hit Sagat, for example.

Ah, sorry. I should have actually wrote in my post that I'm on PSN. Sorry about that. For anyone that has the PS3 version though, my psn id is craig2a03.

i will request you when i set everything back up, everything is in the middle of my room covered in plastic till the painting is done.

I agree with Sagat. I feel like when it comes to him i just Cannon drill to get in close and then keep close. A player who just uses him cuz of his power house moves will fold under pressure and keep trying to either knee or uppercut you. Block - throw - repeat. I usually do pretty well against Sagat players as of lately. Even if i do end up losing, its usually really close.