Street Fighter IV

ILLiterate

yeah i try not to pick him too much as he can kinda upset people.

same with ryu (sorry about toe kick didn't realize you had that little health left)

gotta admit though your fei is getting quite gnarly yourself zirc.

i think my guile has gotten quite good too (I cant believe i got his super on the first try XD.

your dhalsim has gotten pretty cool too.

im trying to get better with gouken a friend of mine on live who's

is awesome at those parry moves he has.

(sorry i know SCIV is way off topic i dont have film of me and him fighting in SF4 and a gouken ryu match with us is quite a spectacle to behold)

anyway im Geeky Stoner on live up for fights anytime.

i think im still in the sub 500s in bp i don't play ranked much though

I'm really having trouble with some matchups. A big part of it is online play (harder to block in a timely manner) and because I don't have a stick... but still.

Here's one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgazLDI3F-o

What do you do about a Bison that does tons of scissor kicks, 3x lp chains, and crossups?

1. You need to punish his jump-ins with flame kick

2. You need to cross him up when he wakes up. This serves two purpose: 1) it resets his charge if he's holding one, and 2) Bison doesn't really have a good anti-air wakeup move, so it's pretty safe.

3. You need to keep the pressure on with more low poke strings and whatnot. There were times when you had the upper hand but let off the pressure and Bison re-took control of the match. Fei is a pressure character with lots of mix-ups; use them.

4. Punish blocked psycho crushers with grabs or rekka-ken (or EX rekka-ken if you have meter).

Blanka's roll does not go through projectiles, only the EX version does... and most characters have EX attacks that go through projectiles. It doesn't make their matchups vs. Sagat much easier. Sagat has high stamina, does tons of damage, has a great anti-air (standing roundhouse), powerful combos, and one of the best projectiles in the game, not to mention Tiger Knee is brutal and has basically no recovery. Oh yeah, and he can chain his ultra really easily.

The characters that have the best matches against Sagat, all other things being equal (according to tier listings), are Ryu, Dhalsim, and Akuma.

No duh on the EX ball. I thought you'd pick up on it instead of taking it literally =/

And I still say Blanka eats up Sagat so badly it's not even funny. They can almost never do the fireballs because Blanka can go right under and trip him all the time, charge up the super meter and you can basically punish them safely 100%, the Super/Ultra beats any jump-in attempts, and you can even stop an Ultra cold with a well placed electricity. Sagat matches up well with almost everyone except Blanka.

I mean, I had a field day eating up Sagats with Blanka and I could tell they were pretty good Sagats too. Just knock them down when they're fireballing with a slide trip then crossover with the Rainbow Ball. It works EVERY time. And they can't do a damn thing about it. The only time it might get a bit troublesome is if they actually use focus attacks. Which is really, really rare. And the Blanka ball beats focus attack oriented moves almost all the time because it always breaks armor.

No duh on the EX ball. I thought you'd pick up on it instead of taking it literally =/

And I still say Blanka eats up Sagat so badly it's not even funny. They can almost never do the fireballs because Blanka can go right under and trip him all the time, charge up the super meter and you can basically punish them safely 100%, the Super/Ultra beats any jump-in attempts, and you can even stop an Ultra cold with a well placed electricity. Sagat matches up well with almost everyone except Blanka.

I mean, I had a field day eating up Sagats with Blanka and I could tell they were pretty good Sagats too. Just knock them down when they're fireballing with a slide trip then crossover with the Rainbow Ball. It works EVERY time. And they can't do a damn thing about it. The only time it might get a bit troublesome is if they actually use focus attacks. Which is really, really rare. And the Blanka ball beats focus attack oriented moves almost all the time because it always breaks armor.

Just thought I'd mention that using ultra as anti-air is beyond stupid. The hitbox is rather iffy on it and first hits ON THE GROUND a bit in fron of him, on the WAY UP to the top of the arc he HAS NO HITBOXES and thus it's crappy anti-air right here and on the WAY DOWN it has hitboxes in front of the blanka ball.

Blanka's ultra is strange but if you get it the opponent will WTF a LOT http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=164523

I'm really having trouble with some matchups. A big part of it is online play (harder to block in a timely manner) and because I don't have a stick... but still.

Here's one:

What do you do about a Bison that does tons of scissor kicks, 3x lp chains, and crossups?

I never saw anyone use Fei like that. Wish i played this on 360 so i could play you.

Here's one:

The biggest thing i saw is that you didn't capitalize on many throw opportunities. Scissor kick is epicly punishable if your Zief, but im not sure about Fei, I dont play him enough to know, but crouching jab might work. Your focus attack could be a good setup there too. He also baited your Flame Kick quite a bit and nailed you for it, especially the last match - but honestly I think he just got a couple of solid shots in and you missed a few. One of the things i don't like about Fei is even his Light Flame kick is pretty easy to punish, it comes out quick - but your dead if they block it or you wiff.

You can't punish Scissor Kick with Fei's throw... Gief's throw has insane priority and range compared to any normal throw in the game. Focus Attacks don't work either because they only absorb one hit and the Scissor is two. Crouching Jab gets eaten by the kick too. :(

Phth: You're right about crossing up, unfortunately I haven't quite learned the proper range/timing for doing that in SF4.

3. You need to keep the pressure on with more low poke strings and whatnot. There were times when you had the upper hand but let off the pressure and Bison re-took control of the match. Fei is a pressure character with lots of mix-ups; use them.

This is the most frustrating thing about Fei in SF4. He CAN'T pressure much. What can he do to a character who is crouching? Nothing. He has no overhead except his forward MK which has fairly weak priority and is slow. In earlier iterations you could use chicken wing, an overhead, but they took away that property. So his rushdown game is kind of gone.

Phth: You're right about crossing up, unfortunately I haven't quite learned the proper range/timing for doing that in SF4.

This is the most frustrating thing about Fei in SF4. He CAN'T pressure much. What can he do to a character who is crouching? Nothing. He has no overhead except his forward MK which has fairly weak priority and is slow. In earlier iterations you could use chicken wing, an overhead, but they took away that property. So his rushdown game is kind of gone.

A few low jabs or light kicks can set him up for a tick throw.

You can't punish Scissor Kick with Fei's throw... Gief's throw has insane priority and range compared to any normal throw in the game. Focus Attacks don't work either because they only absorb one hit and the Scissor is two. Crouching Jab gets eaten by the kick too. :(

I'm sorry - I should've been clearer - What i mean is you should block the Scissor and then follow up with something, obviously not a throw. I hopped into training and found that you can *easily* counter scissors with Fei simply by blocking it and making him eat a rekka, flaming kick, or even a Standing HP. Do that once or twice, and they wont think of Scissoring so openly, like he was doing in the video. Also, the exact same logic applies for his Psycho Crusher aswell, block the hits and rail him.

I'll have to give that a shot. It seems like anytime I budge against a turtling character my moves get stuffed very quickly. This is especially true with Sagat. I feel like I'm better off stepping back and waiting for them to make a mistake.

That is a good main strategy, but sometimes you have to mix it up to keep your opponent on your toes. I'll send you a request/invite sometime today if you wanna play. We can analyze your game if you want (or just play for fun, whatever)

Just thought I'd mention that using ultra as anti-air is beyond stupid. The hitbox is rather iffy on it and first hits ON THE GROUND a bit in fron of him, on the WAY UP to the top of the arc he HAS NO HITBOXES and thus it's crappy anti-air right here and on the WAY DOWN it has hitboxes in front of the blanka ball.

Blanka's ultra is strange but if you get it the opponent will WTF a LOT http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=164523

It's not stupid because I probably won at least 100 rounds with Blanka using the Ultra as a chief anti air to jump-ins. Not countering specials, but those who jumps in with kicks. The initial upward attack knocks them in the air, then I can follow up with the forward movements.

I honestly don't understand why you would say it's a bad move. I've been doing it hundreds of times. It is true that it works better as a punishing someone crouching and isn't blocking overhead, but taking enemies' jump-ins with the vertical movement of the Ultra does work. I'm not going into the theories here when I know it works for certain.

It seems nobody is really trusting me in this thread, but I know what Blanka is capable of.

It's not stupid because I probably won at least 100 rounds with Blanka using the Ultra as a chief anti air to jump-ins. Not countering specials, but those who jumps in with kicks. The initial upward attack knocks them in the air, then I can follow up with the forward movements.

I honestly don't understand why you would say it's a bad move. I've been doing it hundreds of times. It is true that it works better as a punishing someone crouching and isn't blocking overhead, but taking enemies' jump-ins with the vertical movement of the Ultra does work. I'm not going into the theories here when I know it works for certain.

It seems nobody is really trusting me in this thread, but I know what Blanka is capable of.

"beyond stupid" was a bit hars, I agree ;)

However since the hitbox is non-existant on the way up I found it very strange that you can hit people in the air with that. The thread I linked to on shoryuken.com even has MS paint images on this for extra clarification :)

If you hit your opponent in the air after the apex of the jump it will hit and be quite good, sure, but the timing is iffy since you have to be very early.

Please forgive me for doubting you but Viscant is a really good Blanka player with multiple tournaments behind him and somehow I think that qualifies his opinion and research on the subject. I know I tried to use Blanka's Ultra as anti-air but never completed all hits. Mind you I have no idea about his super really but the Ultra IS a waste as anti air since you can use it to great effect in other ways and instead use other anti-airs that does not cost you your revenge bar.

If you have any footage of Ultra as anti-air I'd love to see it. Here's some Blanka vs. Blanka footage with Viscant too:

04:52 is a great example of what I'm talking about btw, why it's so risky. Check the comments for Viscant explaining it.

What I saw from that video is someone waiting with an anti air special move. It's not quite the same as someone jumping into it. It IS risky if they're camping it out to interrupt with an anti air move like that. When I do it to juggle, it's usually when someone is in the process of attacking with their jump kicks coming in. That's basically no escape I see from that because of the armor breaking properties + higher priority. Not the same as someone interrupting it with a special. I think that player got the idea of the Ultra wrong. It's not safe when someone is lying in wait like that.

What I saw from that video is someone waiting with an anti air special move. It's not quite the same as someone jumping into it. It IS risky if they're camping it out to interrupt with an anti air move like that. When I do it to juggle, it's usually when someone is in the process of attacking with their jump kicks coming in. That's basically no escape I see from that because of the armor breaking properties + higher priority. Not the same as someone interrupting it with a special. I think that player got the idea of the Ultra wrong. It's not safe when someone is lying in wait like that.

It's definitely not safe that way no. However, I've yet to see an ultra grab someone doing say, a kick in the air. I don't play much SFIV so I'm not saying I know best (I don't!) but from all I've read/seen the upwards motion is without hitboxes and this it's not "good" as anti-air since the timing is EXTREMELY strict to get them on the downwards motion. Have you been hitting people on the way up the arc with the ultra? Just checking because my whole point is that it's not possible and thus it's not a "good" anti-air, especially considering what you're trading.

You know, it's kind of frustrating that if I ever do pick this game up, I'll probably be lumped in with the thousands of other Sagat players who pick him just because of his (alleged) overpoweredness.

The truth is that I've stuck with Old One-Eye through thick and thin. From the very beginning, in Street Fighter II, through ups and downs, through low tiers and high tiers, Sagat has always been my primary choice of character. He is, and will always be, the ORIGINAL Emperor of Muay Thai, (forget that Adon jackass) and dammit, he deserves recognition.

Ah well. Look on the bright side. At least they didn't make him suck.

I'm having a hard time with the Challenge modes. El Furetes my main so I have the moves down but with the combos they want me to do with mode 3 I'm like a mili second off. The move is still in red but when i execute it it's back to white.

Any tips with this or is it just a hand speed problem i just need to keep working on?

Canceling moves is tricky. I don't know how to play Fuerte, but generally speaking, you need to be doing the motion for the 2nd move at the same time that you're hitting the button for the first. For example, for Fei Long's Fierce Punch into Shienkyaku (Back, Down, Down-Back + Kick), I actually hold back WHILE hitting fierce punch, and pretty much as soon as my finger hits that FP button, I'm already just about done with the Shienkyaku motion, and once I land on Down-Back I hit the kick button and bam - there's the cancel.

If you just press FP, then do Back, Down, Down-Back+Kick, then you'll get a fierce punch followed by a shienkyaku rather than a cancel.