Street Fighter IV

ILLiterate

I don't even think I'm anywhere near competitive as everyone else on this thread. I don't even know what half the terms you guys are talking about mean. I love fighters, but I feel so dumb about all this stuff. For me it's always been like "See that guy? See his life bar? You want to take that all the way to zero by beating the crap out of him."

Funny thing though. My playing Street Fighter IV got me back into playing Soul Calibur IV online, and now I'm loving the hell out of that game again.

All this time I thought the general consensus amongst gamers between competitive gaming and professional gaming had been between a get-together party of friends while big-named sponser events involving a select few or selected teams all vying for a title and the usual prize money being separate...

Competitive gaming can get real ugly faster than sponsered events and is usually crowded by the fanatics that have no sense of self control in terms of competition. Not to mention the knee-jerk reaction on slinging "ur mom" or "you fucking troll" phrases being very much expected...

So yeah how about that Blanka, what the fuck's up with his ultra combo..? I can't figure it out yet the input command is the same as Balrog's Violent Buffalo; not to mention I land that almost all the time compared to Blanka's UC. :lol:

Yeah, it's a stupid motion. Charge down-back, then do a 180 motion from down-forward to up-back. I think Vega's might be the same.

In fact you are completely wrong about this sir..

It is....(i know this so well probably cause i use dpad and charge characters are awesome with dpads)

Down Back(charge)to Forward Down to Back Down to Forward Up(no 180 motions just straight) then Kick

for me its gotten quite easy on the dpad (and yes Vega's is the same)

yeah see the thing about charge ultras is that once you see a guile or vega player start to turtle or jump backwards a lot you know they are charging their ultra so if you're any kind of intelligent you'll know when to dodge it

that's not really true, you can buffer it in moves like a sweep or roundhouse or (of course) a block, or in a forward/standing jump too.

Turtling is probably the worst thing a Vega player can do, as that only invites worse things to come... Of course after stupidly pressing the commands to toss away the mask and claw.

I can see them as a taunt saying, "you're such a noob I don't even need these" but more often than not, its likely to backfire...

Blanka's Ultra is easier than Balrog's IMO. You basically back-crouch then waggle the stick to do it. These Ultras are too hard to do on the D-pad for either the PS3 and 360. And I speak from experience, unfortunately. Absolutely love playing it on the arcade stick in the arcades though.

Blanka and Balrog really do have the exact same motion... so they should be equal difficulty. I prefer Balrog's in terms of usefulness though. Massive damage, easy to chain, relatively safe if you miss.

Not to mention you can basically graze most projectiles with a headbutt or ex through them with both covering more ground as well as delivering devastating damage when it connects.

Here's an awesome bread and butter combo you can do as Balrog. Hold down-back and do three low jabs, then press forward and jab punch, then as that animation is playing, press back then forward and PPP. If you execute this correctly, the jab rush punch will cancel into the ultra! That's some MASSIVE punishment for someone simply not blocking low for a split second. The reason it works is because the ultra motion is:

1. Charge back

2. Forward

3. Back

4. Forward + PPP

1. is being taken care of while you're doing the jabs.

2. Forward is pressed when you execute the rush punch, so even though you're doing a move here, it still counts toward the ultra motion.

3. Back then forward+PPP during the rush punch cancels it.

Blanka and Balrog really do have the exact same motion... so they should be equal difficulty. I prefer Balrog's in terms of usefulness though. Massive damage, easy to chain, relatively safe if you miss.

I have almost the total opposite opinion of that. You don't even need to combo Blanka's Ultra since it's an overhead/low combo in itself. It stuffs jump-ins 100%, and you can block as a Blanka even if enemy blocks it full. Balrog's isn't bad, but you MUST combo into it and it doesn't have the perks Blanka's has. You can just sit there doing Blanka's Ultra in close distance and expect to catch them or chip them away. Can't really do that with Balrog's.

I have almost the total opposite opinion of that. You don't even need to combo Blanka's Ultra since it's an overhead/low combo in itself. It stuffs jump-ins 100%, and you can block as a Blanka even if enemy blocks it full. Balrog's isn't bad, but you MUST combo into it and it doesn't have the perks Blanka's has. You can just sit there doing Blanka's Ultra in close distance and expect to catch them or chip them away. Can't really do that with Balrog's.

Error

I stuff a lot of jump ins with balrogs. I don't need to combo into his.

Hold kick down when he is doing his swings. Duh

Yeah, but catching them flush is a gamble still. Blanka's is basically made to stuff jump-ins and do 100% of Ultra damage on them. And even if you whiff, the recovery on it is ridiculous. Just throw them, bite them, do whatever afterward. Balrog is rather vulnerable if he just sits there and does the full animation. Blanka's is relatively safe out of almost all the Ultras in the game. It's ironic because people used to think Blanka's is the worst Ultra and now it turns out it's one of the best and safest ones. It has like 3 or 4 different uses while most characters have maybe one or two uses.

Somewhat of a tier list.

So good to see Guile so low :\ lol

"The chart below (compiled by Japanese gamers, hence the character names) shows how many times, on average, two players of equal skill will win a "best of 10" series using two characters. So, for example, look in the left column at Rose. Line her up with Seth in the row across the top and you'll see she only wins 3 out of 10 times."

sfchart.jpg

http://kotaku.com/5183085/an-updated-list-of-the-best-and-worst-street-fighter-iv-characters

I've seen that chart... people on Shoryuken are saying that it's potentially bogus and not really based on solid tournament results. Hence why Fei Long is mostly 5s, for example. The Tougeki tiers are much different, and those are based on tournament results. Seems weird that Blanka would end up so incredibly high when no other ranking had him like that. But still, some of the data looks accurate, such as Seth (he's awesome).