Street Fighter IV

ILLiterate

zircon is right

anyone who has played street fighter 4 for a longer time than most people and ISN'T good is probably a) an idiot and B) probably not even playing street fighter 4 anymore because they scurried back to halo 3 or something

It's not JUST about hours played, it's also about being able to learn from your mistakes proper competition etc. etc.

If you have a person on one side who spent 40 hours just playing his friends and a person on the other side who spent 40 hours at the arcades in japan playing really good people and being able to watch first hand what great players do, the second person will win every time over the first person.

Is there anyone *really* good around that could help me to improve my game? I'm starting to get very sick of losing. I can climb up to 1500bp but I just get knocked down to 1000 or less. It's extremely frustrating and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

well i am not "Really" good by all means. But the other night i went back on after being away for 2 weeks and went from 1300 BP to about 700 maybe even close to 6. So i played Non ranked "player" matches for a while and practice moves, combos and focas attacks. At least this way even if i lost it didnt cost me any points. After a bunch of games doing that i went back to "ranked" and climbed back up to i believe a little over 1200 now. Could have been luck but ya never know.

I also learned how to deal with Blanka players by doing that. For some reason i have a hard time with them.

It's not JUST about hours played, it's also about being able to learn from your mistakes proper competition etc. etc.

If you have a person on one side who spent 40 hours just playing his friends and a person on the other side who spent 40 hours at the arcades in japan playing really good people and being able to watch first hand what great players do, the second person will win every time over the first person.

I'm talking more on the order of hundreds to thousands of hours, not <100. I agree that how you spend your time does make a difference, obviously playing bad players will not help you a great deal vs. good players, but still. The point is that you WILL get better over time if you just play a lot. That's because a big chunk of SF is execution, which only comes with lots of practice.

I'll be picking up two 360 fightsticks on Tuesday- If anyone here is interested, I'll part for cost + shipping. Otherwise, I plan to sell the second on ebay for exorbitant prices. Guess this means I'll no longer have an excuse to avoid ranked..

Some people do plateau but the reason they don't get better is because they give up, so to speak.

I both agree and disagree with zircon. People who put a colossal amount of time in are going to figure precision details that give them significant edge. Sometimes though, someone just has better finger coordination than the other 15 guys. Incidentally, it's those people who are going to put a vast amount of time into the game because they have an original skill.

So, thinking it through I guess in a general way zircon is right.

You do learn a lot more if you fight someone who is of even skill level and you get to rematch them so you keep adapting to their tactics. It also helps if they don't always play Ryu or Ken 100% of the time, so you can try all sorts of different tactics rather than fighting all the random Kens online.

So, I've been playing a lot lately and trying to get better. I went back to ranked matches to see if I could do any better than before. I played 2 matches and lost both badly. They had between 6 and 800 BP and I had 112 when I started (at 65 now). Does the search usually come up with people that much higher than you even when you specify same level? On player match, I usually get someone who's close to my skill (or lack of) level.

But even doing player matches, I lost 11 out of 13 fights. And something I noticed is that I couldn't do supers. Anything else I wanted to do came out just fine including ultras (except Guile's, but that's another story). But I never got a super to fire off even once. And yes, the super meter was full. There was no noticeable lag so I can't imagine what was going on, but the people I was playing against never used supers either. After I finished playing online, I went to training mode and pulled out every super I tried, first time, no problem. Any help here?

Also, I'd love to get stomped by anyone from here who has the PS3 version.

So, I've been playing a lot lately and trying to get better. I went back to ranked matches to see if I could do any better than before. I played 2 matches and lost both badly. They had between 6 and 800 BP and I had 112 when I started (at 65 now). Does the search usually come up with people that much higher than you even when you specify same level? On player match, I usually get someone who's close to my skill (or lack of) level.

But even doing player matches, I lost 11 out of 13 fights. And something I noticed is that I couldn't do supers. Anything else I wanted to do came out just fine including ultras (except Guile's, but that's another story). But I never got a super to fire off even once. And yes, the super meter was full. There was no noticeable lag so I can't imagine what was going on, but the people I was playing against never used supers either. After I finished playing online, I went to training mode and pulled out every super I tried, first time, no problem. Any help here?

Also, I'd love to get stomped by anyone from here who has the PS3 version.

Practice. lol

Good chance the reason you couldn't manage a super is because you were panicking. People online are different than the computer, and yes you can expect to get your ass kicked a lot.

Practice. lol

Good chance the reason you couldn't manage a super is because you were panicking. People online are different than the computer, and yes you can expect to get your ass kicked a lot.

I'd say that made sense, except that I have never had a problem doing supers. Not since Street Fighter Alpha. And also like I said, all my ultras came out just fine, and the only difference is that the super requires less buttons. Ryu's super and ultra are the same motion, just one is one punch, and the other is all three. I know I'll get better with practice, but my supers not working couldn't have anything to do with panicking, otherwise the ultras wouldn't come out either, right?

I'd say that made sense, except that I have never had a problem doing supers. Not since Street Fighter Alpha. And also like I said, all my ultras came out just fine, and the only difference is that the super requires less buttons. Ryu's super and ultra are the same motion, just one is one punch, and the other is all three. I know I'll get better with practice, but my supers not working couldn't have anything to do with panicking, otherwise the ultras wouldn't come out either, right?

Maybe your controller is old and when you try to do it fast in battle it doesn't work but you slow down a little bit in practice and it does. I don't what the deal is.

David Sirlin agrees with you completely. http://www.sirlin.net/blog/2009/2/22/a-few-things-about-street-fighter-4.html#comment3266847

See the last paragraph

i half agree and half disagree with this method. on one hand, it helps you to try out all the characters so you get a good idea of where their strengths and weaknesses lie for when you play with or against that character. on the other hand, when the last boss is seth, it gets pretty fucked up pretty fast. i'm not a great chun li, and i had to re fight that eff head at least 10+ times with her to unlock gouki.

also, if anyone is down to play on the ps3 feel free to add me. im not elite, but im not a noob either. my username is tekbunny

Watching these videos just makes me not even want to try anymore, lol. Nah, I just need to play more, or maybe I should stop using Guile because maybe he's that bad. I never see anyone use him anyway

Guiles amazing, you really just need to know how to use him - he's very tricky. I fight a lot of 5000+ BP Guiles that kill me.

Know of any great videos? I feel as if I should be very aggressive with him, such as releasing a Sonic boom followed by closing in on the player at the same time instead of just turtling.

I also need to learn the timing of dashing out of hitting a focus attack to do some combos.

Know of any great videos? I feel as if I should be very aggressive with him, such as releasing a Sonic boom followed by closing in on the player at the same time instead of just turtling.

I also need to learn the timing of dashing out of hitting a focus attack to do some combos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3Sgdqpe4mE&feature=related

is definitely the best i can find, and yea - there are lots of tricks with guile, learning the timing of his sonic boom is so very important, but I don't think watching video's will help you much with Guile, you gotta learn to fake your opponent out with him, knowing not only when to follow up your booms, but what to follow up with. Thats huge with Guile, and he has a lot of options. I also think people should use his Focus Attack more, but honestly, i feel that way about all players in general :P