What Is Your Most Important Piece of Music Equipment/Software?

Hy Bound

I got bored and decided that it would be fun to find out what everyone's most inspiring/most used piece of hardware/software is. I want to try and lean away from things like "My computer cuz it lets me do my music stuffs." Unless of course the computer does something especially inspirational.

For instance, I would have to say that Reaktor is one of my most inspirational pieces of software I have. I'll start with a blank slate synth and just randomly tweak knobs and play around until I find something. And if it isn't the right type of synthesizer for the sound I'm trying for I'll switch to another, or hell, make one myself (which truthfully doesn't yield many results). Being a tweaker-mad synth man, this piece of software really makes all of the sounds that make me want to finish a song.

Have at 'em.

Whatever my favorite guitar is at the time; currently it's my Fender DG-20CE. Pretty much every piece of music I've written in the last 5 years has started out as a melody that was played first on guitar then translated to whatever. The fact that I can play it anywhere, without power, makes it tremendously useful. The fact that I can also take the same instrument that I used as a sketchpad and use it in the final mix, makes it invaluable to me.

My main axe, Carvin DC127. I am never without her, I take her on flights, on vacation, to work. <3

Also, being inspired by software seems pretty shitty to me. You gotta have some kind of connection to your music, clicking a mouse on the keyboard graphic under your synth properties window doesn't do shit for me.

See, I usually completely agree with that. Its just that for the most part, a lot of the music I listen to has some amazing synth line in it that i want to somehow emulate in part and to be able to tweak something to sound almost exactly like it is very inspiring, because I can take a part of a song that I like and mold it into something I tend to be more interested in in some part. It also helps that the interfaces on the synths look a lot like their hardware counterparts.

Mine? The internet. If you listen to my songs you understand why. I think it's fair to say that when it comes to music, I treat the internet like an instrument. Countless sampling on my part from random things found on the internet, like those GI Joe PSAs, talking flash advertisements, stupid youtube bloggers... This is usually what happens.

My music is based on stealing free stuff :) most of the time.

I'd have to say my monitors are my most important piece of equipment. It's a joy to actually be able to hear what I'm doing right, and wrong when I work on things, and my production abilities have steadily improved over the last year or so.

On the inspirational side of things... hmm. Oatmeal VST. I love that randomize button, and closely behind it another freebie from KVR, The Element of Surprise. Which...is kinda like oatmeal, but it's only a single button randomizer for the stuff under the hood. Can't really tweak anything, but still good for messing around.

My EMU Xboard61 for my controller. I really do like the key action on this guy, and it's compact enough to fit on my desk.

I'd say that at the moment, it's my home-made distorted piano. I often find my self stopping working on the mix and just playing around with it. It's a mix of my midi keyboard, FL Keys, some EQ, some reverb, some delay, and FL Fast Distortion. I'm kind of surprised actually that I haven't ever heard of anyone using it before... I also have it set up with my mod wheel so that as I turn it it filters in and out the amount of distortion, up is pure piano with reverb and delay, down is mostly all distortion. I even set it up with a low-pass frequency LFO. If anyone wants the *.fst just let me know.