Do you think this will be accepted?

rsalom

Hi.

First post on these forums.

I have no idea whether or not this is the right place for this post, but bear with me. I used to do a lot of remixing of songs of all kinds and occasionally made some mixes of video games.

My question is whether or not what I do is something that would likely be accepted or rejected based on the sources I use.

I have a couple remixes of Tetris music (NES version). I did a remix of each song that is available to choose before you start playing, using Sonic Foundry AcidPro and some realtime crossfading with dj gear. The remixes include the original game track, sometimes in pieces or slightly changed, but with added loops/sound clips from mainstream music and home made loops. For example, the first track includes an introduction from the band Gravity Kills, a drum beat and other clips/ripped loops from Beck, and additional chord and percussion/beat loops from Acid Pro. It sounds rather simple but it actually took a lot of work to make and comes together quite impressively and sounds refined and professional. The third track is in 3/4 time, so I had to use loops ripped from mainstream music that was also performed in 3/4 meter. It all came together well, and I'd like to submit, but if you don't think it'll be accepted, I'd rather not release it.

What do you think? Submit or don't bother?

edit - Btw, I did read the submission rules, etc, but I guess it wasn't quite specific enough for me to know the answer to my question. I hope this doesn't make people upset that I asked.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're interspersing the original game soundtrack audio with other recorded audio, and there isn't too much content that you created from scratch. I'd be very surprised if that kind of thing even made it to the judge's panel. I'm sure you did a good job of putting it together, but OCR's focus is about taking an original song and recreating it from scratch in your genre of choice, with a reasonable amount of melodic and harmonic interpretation, which isn't at all what you seem to have done.

I'd be interested in hearing what you've come up with. As OCR states, its open to any variety of remix, whether its original composition or rearrangements, or mixing as you see fit, so long as its based on video games. Post up a link so we can hear what you've done, and we'll be able to give you a better idea!

Hi.

First post on these forums.

I have no idea whether or not this is the right place for this post, but bear with me. I used to do a lot of remixing of songs of all kinds and occasionally made some mixes of video games.

My question is whether or not what I do is something that would likely be accepted or rejected based on the sources I use.

I have a couple remixes of Tetris music (NES version). I did a remix of each song that is available to choose before you start playing, using Sonic Foundry AcidPro and some realtime crossfading with dj gear. The remixes include the original game track, sometimes in pieces or slightly changed, but with added loops/sound clips from mainstream music and home made loops. For example, the first track includes an introduction from the band Gravity Kills, a drum beat and other clips/ripped loops from Beck, and additional chord and percussion/beat loops from Acid Pro. It sounds rather simple but it actually took a lot of work to make and comes together quite impressively and sounds refined and professional. The third track is in 3/4 time, so I had to use loops ripped from mainstream music that was also performed in 3/4 meter. It all came together well, and I'd like to submit, but if you don't think it'll be accepted, I'd rather not release it.

What do you think? Submit or don't bother?

edit - Btw, I did read the submission rules, etc, but I guess it wasn't quite specific enough for me to know the answer to my question. I hope this doesn't make people upset that I asked.

Don't bother. OCR heavily discourages sampling of original game audio and doesn't accept anything that relies on sampled non-game music.

I realize that you do "remixes," and there's nothing wrong with that, but OCR's "ReMix" refers to an arrangement where the artists play or sequence the music themselves.

As OCR states, its open to any variety of remix, whether its original composition or rearrangements, or mixing as you see fit, so long as its based on video games.

Sorry, but that's not true. Please familiarize yourself with the submission standards before telling people things like this. :(

I had the idea that it would be rejected based on the fact that the kind of remixing I do involves taking bits and pieces of other stuff and re-arranging it to create something new. I created this thread because I didn't really know how much sampling was accepted. The tracks do rely heavily on ripped and mixed original stuff. When I did dj work, this is what people paid me to do. I now understand that this looks more for original rewrites with new instrumentation. I was more of a DJ and less of a composer. To make an analogy with visual art, what I do is more like a collage, with other people's stuff chopped up and repasted, made to blend as seemlessly as I can with less of my own composition. There are copyright issues and lots of other stuff, so I probably shouldn't submit it officially. For those of you curious for shits and giggles, here are a couple. I used putfile since it's just temporary.

These were created a long time ago with primitive software, then re-rendered again to mp3 more recently, so the quality isn't perfect, but it's not bad and worth a listen.

http://media.putfile.com/DJ-Ted---Tetris-music-1-remix

http://media.putfile.com/DJ-Ted---Tetris-music-3-remix

I hope it at least puts a smile on your face remembering the days of Tetris. If the links don't work for some reason, tell me and I'll try to fix them.

I had the idea that it would be rejected based on the fact that the kind of remixing I do involves taking bits and pieces of other stuff and re-arranging it to create something new. I created this thread because I didn't really know how much sampling was accepted. The tracks do rely heavily on ripped and mixed original stuff. When I did dj work, this is what people paid me to do. I now understand that this looks more for original rewrites with new instrumentation. I was more of a DJ and less of a composer. To make an analogy with visual art, what I do is more like a collage, with other people's stuff chopped up and repasted, made to blend as seemlessly as I can with less of my own composition. There are copyright issues and lots of other stuff, so I probably shouldn't submit it officially. For those of you curious for shits and giggles, here are a couple. I used putfile since it's just temporary.

These were created a long time ago with primitive software, then re-rendered again to mp3 more recently, so the quality isn't perfect, but it's not bad and worth a listen.

http://media.putfile.com/DJ-Ted---Tetris-music-1-remix

http://media.putfile.com/DJ-Ted---Tetris-music-3-remix

I hope it at least puts a smile on your face remembering the days of Tetris. If the links don't work for some reason, tell me and I'll try to fix them.

I don't think anyone will have a problem if you continue to release stuff here on the WIP board. Just make it clear you have no intentions of submitting, so that dumb people don't give you shit.

Sorry about that man, I didn't mean to inform you incorrectly. Although I had already read the Submission Standards page a couple times in the recent past, I guess it's all open to interpretation. Listening to your songs certainly put a smile on my face, it's like a blast from the past, and you used some really cool samples to overlay everything. Thanks for sharing it with us!