CMC - Conceptual Music Competition 13: Last Stand

Abadoss

Is it okay to enter a piece I composed for another purpose? I just finished producing a soundtrack for a radio drama at school, and one of the tracks would fit the theme. The track in question was produced within the time of this competition.

I hold the rights to the music and the drama, which was my senior project, so copyright isn't an issue.

Is it okay to enter a piece I composed for another purpose? I just finished producing a soundtrack for a radio drama at school, and one of the tracks would fit the theme. The track in question was produced within the time of this competition.

I hold the rights to the music and the drama, which was my senior project, so copyright isn't an issue.

1. Each piece must be originally composed for this competition. Arrangements and remixes will not be accepted. (Pieces composed by the participant prior to the competition will not be accepted.)

I thought about it and looked at the rules. However, I couldn't get past "... must be originally composed for this competition." I'm sorry, but I don't think it can qualify. What you do with your entry after the competition is completely up to you, but it does need to be originally composed with this competition in mind.

I keep meaning to enter one of these but I could never seem to come up with anything good. However, I think I have something here that's probably going to be just over 10 minutes when I think of an ending. Is that kind of length okay ? (hey, last stand battles are supposed to be long!)

haha...certainly longer than me. I guess they are supposed to be long T_T

I thought about it and looked at the rules. However, I couldn't get past "... must be originally composed for this competition." I'm sorry, but I don't think it can qualify. What you do with your entry after the competition is completely up to you, but it does need to be originally composed with this competition in mind.

Okay, thanks. I'll still look forward to hearing everybody's submissions!

And, as for length, I know the minimum is two minutes. The longest piece I remember being in this competition was eight minutes, and several reviewers said that it really didn't have enough substance to justify the length. It was hard to listen to it without losing interest - it actually would have been a much stronger piece if the composer had cut out a lot of the repetition that made it that long.

If your piece is ten minutes long because it has the material to fill ten minutes, I think we'll all be impressed! Otherwise, you might want to make sure you don't have long passages that interrupt the flow or the energy of the piece or long periods of repetition that keep you from getting from one idea to the next.

I keep meaning to enter one of these but I could never seem to come up with anything good. However, I think I have something here that's probably going to be just over 10 minutes when I think of an ending. Is that kind of length okay ? (hey, last stand battles are supposed to be long!)

From most people, I'd be pretty nervous about that long a length. However, I know your music and I don't think you'd have a problem, honestly. Feel free.

Okay, thanks. I'll still look forward to hearing everybody's submissions!

And, as for length, I know the minimum is two minutes. The longest piece I remember being in this competition was eight minutes, and several reviewers said that it really didn't have enough substance to justify the length. It was hard to listen to it without losing interest - it actually would have been a much stronger piece if the composer had cut out a lot of the repetition that made it that long.

If your piece is ten minutes long because it has the material to fill ten minutes, I think we'll all be impressed! Otherwise, you might want to make sure you don't have long passages that interrupt the flow or the energy of the piece or long periods of repetition that keep you from getting from one idea to the next.

Meh...that's an opinionated statement there. I've heard some good songs that are about that length that keep me interested the whole way through. If you're into Heavy Metal, Opeth is real good for that.

Abadoss, you say that the music has to be created original for the contest in mind, but what if you are creating for the contest in mind AAAND for another reason in mind AT THE SAME EXACT TIME!?

What then?

oh snap!!!! I'm curious myself actually. what now brown cow? =P

I spoke too soon. I thought I had something really good but it ended up borrowing heavily from something I already wrote for a contest a few years ago so I'm not going to attempt to break the rules. Maybe next time when I'm feeling more original... :D

I'm still going to call it "The Last Stand" since I think that's a good title.

I spoke too soon. I thought I had something really good but it ended up borrowing heavily from something I already wrote for a contest a few years ago so I'm not going to attempt to break the rules. Maybe next time when I'm feeling more original... :D

I'm still going to call it "The Last Stand" since I think that's a good title.

Sorry to hear that. I was looking forward to listening to it. Ultimately, it really depends on what you mean by "borrowing heavily". Did you use whole chunks of material or did you just work in themes or motifs? If it's the latter, there might be a little more to work with.

Abadoss, you say that the music has to be created original for the contest in mind, but what if you are creating for the contest in mind AAAND for another reason in mind AT THE SAME EXACT TIME!?

What then?

Then lie to me, telling me it's only for CMC, and hope to God I don't find out.

Believe it or not I'm the kind of composer who uses the library method of composing, that is to say, I've amassed a collection of original themes and such that I might refer to when I'm stuck. You know, stuff that I come up with in the middle of the night or while I'm in the shower, etc. Most of the time I'm solid on coming up with something original under deadlines, but in this case I ended up using some "library" material I've used in a contest before (a harmonic progression) and even though I put a new melody on top, it wouldn't be fair to everyone else if I did that.

Believe it or not I'm the kind of composer who uses the library method of composing, that is to say, I've amassed a collection of original themes and such that I might refer to when I'm stuck. You know, stuff that I come up with in the middle of the night or while I'm in the shower, etc. Most of the time I'm solid on coming up with something original under deadlines, but in this case I ended up using some "library" material I've used in a contest before (a harmonic progression) and even though I put a new melody on top, it wouldn't be fair to everyone else if I did that.

I used to do that, but it's hard to do that now because I keep finishing my pieces.