Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled for Nintendo DS (CT Style RPG)

DarkeSword

So Black Sigil is apparently going to be coming out this month. Amazon says it's coming out on the 8th.

Jeremy Parish from 1UP seems to have mainly good things to say about it. Let's hope this doesn't go under the radar like so many other good low-budget games.

In short, Black Sigil seems to be an effective impersonation of a classic 16-bit RPG -- faithful to the spirit of the era, but with a few unique touches that make it more than just a slavish imitation. Of all the RPGs slated to arrive next month, it's probably the most unknown. But I suspect that anyone who pines for the good ol' days before Final Fantasy went all 3D will be instantly smitten with this under-the-radar adventure. You cranky old-timers should keep an eye open for it.

I'm probably gonna snatch this up. It's available on Amazon.com and only $28 (!!!) which is like the cheapest a new game could possibly be.

• 3 months later...

Was excited about this game too.

GameSpot gave it 6.5 :(

Cited the high number of random battles as a down point. Stated there was good story though...

If I ever manage to get a DS, I think I'd be more excited over Golden Sun DS. I just don't have time nowadays like I used to, to invest time into oldschool (lengthy) RPGs like this.

The encounter rate is too high to make for a good introduction to the genre (think the 8-bit Dragon Warrior games) -- but it feels great in all other aspects.

Best new feature: people have different conversations with you based on who is the party leader. Not one shopkeeper (ff6), but almost everyone.

One issue that people should know about: The game has crashed on my twice. Once while putting in headphones on the title screen, and once upon triggering a scripted event ingame.

Should I buy this? I've always liked the genre, but the only games I've played that I really felt motivated to finish were Chrono Trigger, Skies of Arcadia, and Seiken Densetsu 3. Random battles are annoying, but I'll push through them if the combat is fun and rest of the game is good enough.

I picked it up over the weekend. I guess I'm about three, maybe four hours in?

Gameplay is pretty decent. The battle system is very Lunar meets CT. The encounter rate is a bit high, though. And no battle transitions? Wha?

Story's interesting. Characters haven't really grabbed me yet, but they're using a plot device from SaGa Frontier II that I enjoyed.

Music is a bit...meh, though. Very generic sounding. I've heard maybe one song that grabbed my attention.

Well, my mom ordered this for me over a year ago for my 21st birthday in August. And it kept getting postponed. It finally came in the mail while I was visiting them for the weekend. I didn't have my DS on me, and so I started yesterday. I've been plpaying for 3 hours but most of it was grinding for G so I could get the best equipment available to me. I like the battle system, its definitely different from what I've seen before. I like the 16-bit graphics a lot. The music is boring, and could be much better. They add a lot of secret passageways, I've already found a bunch of things that I only found because I'm OCD about exploring maps.

Overall I like it so far. We'll see what happens when I actually get into it.