OCR00849 - *YES* Castlevania 2 'No Flesh Allowed' *FT*

DarkCecil13

To: Tom

Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2002 9:18 PM

Subject: Re: resubmission: Ninja Gaiden "Sudden Loss"

Hi Tom,

It's been about a month since I resubmitted the ninja gaiden 'sudden loss' song. At first I was thinking it would be cool for you to judge that one, but since I submitted it (and perhaps it got lost in the shuffle there) I've made a song that I'd rather have submitted...it's in a genre that you guys have under-represented ;)...can I use the month lag towards my new song and have it judged instead of the ninja gaiden song? The song I'd rather have you guys judge is from castlevania 2 and is called "No Flesh Allowed."

Please credit it to "goat"

Thanks,

Chris

A short and sweet (or not so sweet) ReMix of a track from the classic Castlevania. Some nice live guitar work here - Though, the percussion sounds rather dry, it's definitely good enough to be posting quality. Oh yeah, just wait till the ending badass guitaring. Nothing too bad about this mix, as I see it. Definitely more than good enough to be posted.

YES

Flresh, hm?

heh. FLESH JUICE!

Ok.. seriously.

This is nice. I like the guitarwork, a nice unison of guitars covering that

lead. Yeah, this is a little boring though since there isn't any real

developement in the track. The drum work is pretty much standard.

*sigh* So torn. So we've got a wonderful guitar arrangement of

castlevania music, something we've basically got next to nothing of in the

archives. However, it's like the same thing for 3 minutes.

I think it's very well done, and people will enjoy this. The middle section

breaks it up enough, in addition to the guitar solo to warrent being worth

getting posted.

YES

Well if I had just given the same review I wouldn't be so torn about it, but you ARE right that the guitar work is pretty decent. There's a solo part beween ~1:42 and 2:00 that's nice and out of tune. And then it goes back to the same part it did in the beginning, with no variation. I mean, add a layer, change the beat. Something. It's like, you came up with a good idea for a song, then you didn't know how to vary it so you did it again, then solo, then again. Actually, the second time is in 4/4 time whereas the first time is in 6/8 time so I can appreciate the variety there, but still, seems WAY too simple (a, a', b, a) for a 'yes' in my book. But as we all know, MY book doesn't have a lot of yesses...

EDIT: I also notice that the drums and bass (d 'n' b?) drown out the guitars in a lot of this section, and what could be some nice solo guitar work gets lost in the slew of "bum ba bum bum bum, bum ba bum bum bum" in the lower frequencies. Another reason to say:

NO

DC

I'll have to say that dispite the repetitiveness later on, the simplistic drums, the few offnotes, and the weak ending, that this mix is rather well done. Its kind of the point for some genres to be repetitive. Although I dont apreciate it too often, it works for this song. Furthermore, its one of the few fast guitar tracks I hear on OC, and those require some skillz.

Good Job

YES

Dan was right about it not varying much, as it repeats an earlier part later on, but it's still way up there on the quality scale as far as I'm concerned.

Vote: Yes

For the record, I concur - Dan is usually a bit stricter than other judges and often I agree with his hesistance on mixes that are otherwise praised. We do want to keep a relatively high bar. Here, though, I think it was pretty clear to me at least that this ReMix is worthy.