Super Mario Galaxy has ORCHESTRATED music!

SwordBreaker

http://wii.com/jp/articles/mario-galaxy/crv/vol3/index.html#id=cv_mg-3-01-orchestra

Official site with Japanese interview, but very sucky streaming

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26599.html?e3i=1&type=mov

Good streaming of the video

HELL yes. Thank you, Koji Kondo!

So I translated the page via google translation. Apparently, all 28 songs were recorded live and orchestrated...and Kondo wants to try and achieve his trademark dynamic tempo changes with the action...so there's bound to be some MIDI tunes mixed with live sounds. No matter, though...this is a dream come true, and that video recording of one of the game's tracks is so damn catchy! It really feels like you're in space with all those violins playing and the acoustic guitar in the background.

There's also something about passing the budget made...Miyamoto seems a bit concerned about that, but Kondo insisted on orchestrated music. And he looks forward to saying, "I told you so" to Miyamoto when it's all said and done. Or something of that sort. The Japanese-to-English translation is very rough here.

Sounds GREAT! Is there a better stream, though? The video is really choppy for me, even after fully loading it... can't really hear the song all the way through without gaps every 4 seconds. :(

Oh...I thought I had a choppy internet or something. Apparently the stream sucks for everyone.

After a simple google search of Super Mario Galaxy Orchestra, I found this:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26599.html?e3i=1&type=mov

Well...Sakurai initially wanted orchestrated music when he first posted the Uematsu-composed Main Theme in the first version of the Smash Blog. He wanted a lot of Latin choirs, too. Not sure about what's going on now. Nonetheless, Brawl's list of composers are enough for me.

Anyway, I wonder how Kondo's going to achive the dynamic tempo changes with Galaxy's music? It's very hard to mix live orchestra with interchanging music, as Kondo once commented on. We've also seen the results of that in Shadow of the Colossus; awesome orchestrated music, but very poor dynamic interchanges. Hopefully, the Wii's added firepower is enough for smooth transitions. Again, though...using a bit of MIDI with the live sounds to keep that dynamic theme alive is an option I don't mind.

Anyway, I wonder how Kondo's going to achive the dynamic tempo changes with Galaxy's music? It's very hard to mix live orchestra with interchanging music, as Kondo once commented on.

It works just fine in god of war.

Also, about time nintendo, 10 years late on this as always but at least it's good to hear that they finally decided to go for it.

Displaying an almost gripping sense of xenophobia for the Japanese language, CHz toiled night and day to write about the latest developments on the SMG soundtrack for VG Frequency. While mentally screening out his deplorable racism, do him a favor and read the informative things he had to say.

Thanks for the hard work, CHz.

28 tracks and the rest is synthesized, eh? Good enough for me. 28 is a big number. And Kondo did only 4 tracks? Aww. Nonetheless, Yokota had some pretty catchy stuff in Jungle Beat so I'm sure he'll do a good job with Kondo supervising him.