The Big PS3 Question 60 or 80 ???

Siamey

Dear fellow Ocr-ers,

I almost made the dude at walmart take the last 60 gig model out of the glass case so i could look it over. They also had an 80 gig, and they we're both 499, which is funny cause I was under the impression that the 80gb would be 599. Anywho.

Do I go for the 60gb?

Pros (from what I can see): Hardware emulation so better ps1/ps2 compat list.

Cons: 20 gb less space (boo-****ing-hoo) and possibly hardware problems later on, being that it is a very early revision in what will probly be a long long line of revisions just like the ps2. My friend had the first ps2 in our town (version 1 or 2 probly) and it was the first to break too. Later versions of the ps2 I've had for a long time and have held up well under pressure (even after one of them caught fire)

Or do I go for the 80gb?

Pros: This package costs the same and has 20gb more (big whoop), plus it comes with a game.

Possible pros: Does the 80gb look different? Different color? Better Gloss?have better specs in any way other than the hdd? Anyone sure of what its all about? Help!

Cons: Software emu (which I've heard runs less ps1/ps2 games) aaaaand maybe some other things? can you help me expand this list if there are some?

Thanks guy!!!

You sound like you care about the BC, and you can always upgrade the hard drive yourself later on, so go with the 60. Christ, as long as you pick either up before Sony axes BC completely (see 40GB).

I think you should just wait until next year though. There really isn't much out for the PS3 yet, and another price drop is inevitable sometime between now and spring.

I do know that the 80 GB version comes with Motorstorm in the package, but honestly though...big whoop de do with the 20 GB extra space. The 80 GB's inferior backward compatability killed it for me. Addionally, you can easily get a 120 GB hard drive and replace it with the default one in the PS3, which is actually cheaper than getting the +100$ 80 GB model.

So yeah...if backward-compatability is really important to you, stay away from that 80 GB model. 60 GB models are currently not in production, and Sony says their warehouse currently do not have any 60 GB models...so you won't find anymore in the near future. I'm glad I got my hands on one recently.

I'm going through this same dilemma too. I was waiting for the 40gig ps3 to be released before i took the plunge. The BC doesn't bother me all that much but it would be nice to have. I have an older bulky ps2 that still works OK. I wish the 60 gig got another price drop to 450, it would make this so much easier. The hard drive space is pretty much a non issue. Having only 2 USB ports on the 40 gig bothers me considerably more than the BC. Is there an instance where you'll need more than 2? I'm thinking about the Sony eyetoy thing and then charging extra controllers?

My guess is its backwards compatibality... No scarcasm . I am just guessing. ... and that was not sarcasm eitner

yeah, backwards compatibility

the new 40GB SKU completely lacks backwards compatibility

the 80 gig has limited software emulation, and might be phased out in the future (for sure in Europe)

the 60 gig can basically do everything but it's already been phased out of the product line so get one if you want one now I guess

It all doesn't seem very rational... I mean, removing backwards compatibility could save them money and cut costs for both company and consumers right? Well, that is the case with the 80 gig, but this new 40 gig SKU is just stupid. EVERYTHING was software emulated in the 80 gig meaning the cost of time to develop the engine and that's it. They could have reasonably kept it in. And then I read this and basically decided Sony is the biggest stooge of a company ever.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the PS3 is a great piece of hardware and I don't really feel many regrets (I went for the 60 gig), I just regret the fact that the PS3 is attached to Sony in any way, shape, or form.

If you have a nice size library of PS2 games, get the 60GB. It takes the guesswork out of "Will this work with the software emulation that Sony has?"

Of course, Sony axing the backwards compatibility (for PS2 software) in the new 40GB model shows that they really don't think things through, PERIOD. Phil Harrison (One of the directors at SCEI) has been quoted as saying:

"Backwards compatibility, as you know from PlayStation One and PlayStation 2, is a core value of what we believe we should offer. And access to the library of content people have created, bought for themselves, and accumulated over the years is necessary to create a format. PlayStation is a format meaning that it transcends many devices -- PSOne, PS2, and now PS3."

Of course, hindsight is always 20/20, but still...Sony has a few "Oh Snap!" moments with the PS3, Jack Tretton's console-finding challenge notwithstanding.

The 2 USB ports on the 40GB wouldn't necessarily be a dealbreaker for me, since one can use a USB A to mini B cable and charge the sixaxis off a computer's USB port, or get a USB hub.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the PS3 is a great piece of hardware and I don't really feel many regrets (I went for the 60 gig), I just regret the fact that the PS3 is attached to Sony in any way, shape, or form.

I second that one. Its a great little computer. Of course, knowing that, it only seems fitting to put Linux on it while I wait for more games that I like to be released.