EA want ONE platform

whatfruit

Hey people I thought this article might intrest y'all

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7052420.stm

As we have seen EA buying alot of the old develpors and publishing houses. Could EA be condidering in moving into the market making a super platform or sonsole and if so DOES THAT NOT SCARE THE FUCK OUT OF. Ever since EA have been clearing up the quality of said developers and publishers of finished articles have dived. But in some ways i can see the point. I wish sega would come back and do what they did best make simple easy to play games that dont requier a fucking manual thicker than the complete works of shakespere and Context contorls so complicated that soon we will have the chance to selct to wipe our bottoms and worse still wather to use charmin or asda "shades".

I hope they do. The videogame industry is one of the few tech industries that divides it's hardware so much and has so many different standars and media. I hope one day we have a single console that will play all the fucking games and there won't be any more console wars on teh winterwebs EVER.

Not gonna happen but would be nice.

The entire first post bothers me.

lern 2 typ moar bettar, kid

This entire kid bothers me...

But one system would be great in theory, but I doubt as many amazing games would come out.

Now each game is trying to be THE game to have... Halo 3 which is only on one system,

But if that is gone then we get stuck with crap...

Even though fanboys are annoying, console wars are good for the consumer.

How?

It forces the manufacturers to innovate and improve their systems. We wouldn't have Nintendo systems with DVDs if the Playstation didn't battle it out with the N64. We'd still be with cartridges if Nintendo had their way. We wouldn't have motion sensing capability on PS3 (and future consoles) if it weren't for the Wii. Both the Wii and PS3 allow for music playback in game which the original Xbox pioneered. Admittedly, the Wii and PS3 don't utilize this feature very much but it is possible. And XboxLive will be emulated by Sony and Nintendo (eventually... haha, not anytime soon but they'll try though...). And look, Nintendo's Mii concept was emulated by Sony in Home. And home is now being emulated by Microsoft, which was just recently announced. For the consumer this is good. We get new stuff, new content for the console(s) we purcashed.

Without competition we would still be in the N64/Playstation generation. There would be no need to innovate, no need for better graphics, because we would all be at the mercy of one company giving us the same old stuff. Sure, we'd get games, but we wouldn't see interesting things like motino control and online play if Nintendo was in charge from 1990 on. Seriously, their online model was in response to the overwhelming success of XboxLive. Reggie has said this in interviews. Competition is good. Fanboys can kick and scream how companies are stealing each other's ideas, but in the end we get better systems out of it, now and in the future.

In a sense, EA making their own console would work. Why? Because EA has quite a few smaller companies under its belt, so it has the means to create a steady stream of "exclusive" titles... much like Sega used to, and Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony currently do. The question would be, could they get other third parties like Sega, Konami, Capcom and them to make games for their system as well? That could be problem, as there are already three, four or more versions of various games being made now.

But, as for their desire to have a single system to play everything, were already have that. It's called a PC. A little tweaking, and you can play games all the way up to the GBA, PS1 and N64 on it, with the DS, XBox and PS2 likely being worked on :-D

Okay, bad joke. But in all seriousness, that idea wouldn't work. One system means that everyone currently making consoles would have to agree on the hardware, and that's no going to happen. Even if this single unit had the best technology available in it, Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft would look at it, see something they could do better, and run off to make their own version of it so they could get that extra profit. And even if they did agree on the console, each company would start making their own add-ons for it as well, which would result in a very similar set up to what we have now ("Want to play our games? Buy our add-on!"). Not to mention, the idea of Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft having their first party titles on the same system as one of their competitor's first party titles probably sends chills down the spines of their respective CEOs.

It might be good for the industry but I can't see it being good for EA...everyone buys their games for all systems - I think if they made them exclusively no one would buy. I mean, I certainly wouldn't buy a whole new console to JUST be able to play Madden and Medal of Honor...

It might be good for the industry but I can't see it being good for EA...everyone buys their games for all systems - I think if they made them exclusively no one would buy. I mean, I certainly wouldn't buy a whole new console to JUST be able to play Madden and Medal of Honor...

If they marketed it right, all the football nuts would indeed by a new system for Madden... especially with that NFL exclusivity thing.

I miss the days of just 2 consoles. The good ol' war of Nintendo and Sega.

As do I. I particularly miss the later phase of that competition, where the SNES was pretty well dominating, and yet some of the greatest games ever came out during that period (sort of messes with the whole "We need competition" thing).

I'm for anything that allows us to have access to a larger selection of games on a single system. I don't know who has $1000 to spend to make they can play MGS 4 and Halo.

There's got to be a way to establish a standard that all games and systems would work with, while allowing console makers to continue to compete based on whose box is cheaper, runs more smoothly, or has added features (live, home, blu-ray), etc. I guess that would pretty much be a gaming-only PC, actually.

I miss the days of just 2 consoles. The good ol' war of Nintendo and Sega.

That was a fun era, yes? Sure, Nintendo was ruling the roost in the 8bit era, but the Genesis gave the SNES a real run for the money up until the 32bit era started. Some great ideas and games came from the two of them trying to one-up each other in their battle for first.

Of course, NEC was in the background for a while, but they didn't really pose much of a thread to either Sega or Nintendo.