Hellgate: London

Wolfstan

Yeah because it's so much harder to port a game to a platform that uses the same processor.. O.o that reason actually promotes porting

...you dont need to port it to a mac when its using intel and running windows. not to mention that if your compiler supports intel, it doesnt matter what OS it is its still using the same instruction set.

Mac development would not make make sense for a relatively small developer like FSS. Also, Mac is pretty much 99% workstation.

mac development only makes sense if the money you put into it doesnt exceed the money youll make from it. knowing the convoluted architecture of the g4/g5/ppc, this will probably never happen unless you hire really good mac developers, in which case theyll probably want a huge salary and it still wont happen.

...you dont need to port it to a mac when its using intel and running windows. not to mention that if your compiler supports intel, it doesnt matter what OS it is its still using the same instruction set.

mac development only makes sense if the money you put into it doesnt exceed the money youll make from it. knowing the convoluted architecture of the g4/g5/ppc, this will probably never happen unless you hire really good mac developers, in which case theyll probably want a huge salary and it still wont happen.

I feel pwnt. It feels good.

This game is definitely worth getting, even if you only play the single player campaign (35-50 hours). I was in the beta from late September on, and I am pretty confident that I will be purchasing the founders offer ("lifetime" subscription for $150) as I can see myself playing this game for a very long time.

The game runs very smoothly on my 2 year old computer, and even with all the fancy settings (shaders,anti aliasing,shadows) turned down, the model and texture detail still make this game look great. The major concern at this time is that the DX10 version of the game really slowed down even newer computers, so we have yet to see if they fixed most of the frame rate issues with their release candidate.

If nothing else, it is definitely something to keep an eye on; the success of the game will probably depend on the level of continuous support provided by Flagship (which at this time appears to be their selling point for the subscription based services). Naturally I should mention the music and music system (random and interchanging) is very nice, but there is no continuous stream of background music unfortunately (something that may be changed).

Conversely, I've played the beta for the last few weeks and I'm not convinced this game is really worth my money. To me it's just more of the same, if I'm going to be dropping over $200 on a game for unlimited online play in a tier that isn't castrating gameplay it's going to have to completely blow me away.

so anyway is this game worth getting? so far im at "no" and i kinda want a reason to buy 2 GeForce 8800GT's.

I love the game, but this one isn't graphic-intensive enough for two 8800GTs. I have one GTX, and that's more'n enough to run it without even a hint of framerate slowdown throughout my beta experience. This is with DX9, mind you, because I don't have Vista. I hear a few DX10 horror stories, but that's with every game.

• 1 month later...

Hate to revive this thread, but I've been playing the demo for this game a bit and I'm undecided whether I should pick it up or not.

Since the game is out, does anyone have any opinions either way? Reviews have been lukewarm, but I would probably get my money's worth from it since it seems like they're fixing a lot of stuff and I don't mind repetitive game play.

From what I've seen, there are a lot of problems on newer computers (specifically crashes and memory leaks), but they're working hard on fixing those problems. There are a lot of other bugs that definitely hinder the playability of the game, but I have still played through it on normal and have characters in all different game modes (mostly Hardcore Elite). I still think the game is a blast to play, and fortunately for me it does not have a lot of the common crashing issues that I hear about.

I'm not certain about the state of the demo code, but if you aren't crashing or running out of memory on it, then you may want to try the full game. At this point I would say it is definitely worth buying for the experience, but whether or not you want to subscribe may be another matter. I think most people will just ride out the storm and enjoy the free online play. The game definitely has potential.

The only problem I've been having is that my video card (X1950XT) sometimes slows down a bit. They also recommend 3GB of RAM, when I have only 2, though I don't know how big a part that plays with my predicament. I got no problem dumbing down the settings as long as I can play smoothly.

I was wondering, game play wise, how long does it take to level up or travel from place to place? Is it fairly similar to Diablo2? I don't mind repetitive tasks, but I don't want to take days to level up or to get from one place to the next. I just want to try out different builds and go item hunting for the most part.

Well, I run all my settings on low, only have 1 GB of PC2700 RAM, and have an x800 XL. I don't usually see a huge frame rate drop unless there are a lot of effects going on at the same time. I blew through normal mode in about two days in order to get to Hardcore, and that put my character at around level 30. The pace with which you level depends on your play style, your character, and what game mode you're playing; if you're constantly killing things 3 or 4 levels above you you'll obviously be leveling faster than otherwise.

Once you get past level 30, the game will start to slow down as you will likely be in nightmare mode, where the creatures out level you most of the time, making them harder to kill. The most distance between any two stations is 3 or 4 areas, and depending on your character and the area, it will take maybe an hour or so to get across all those areas. Time investment is not something that is emphasized in this game, as you can log in, immediately enter an area, kill some things for a few minutes, and log off. There is no transit time to speak of.

I was actually looking forward to the game... It looked fun, FPS-RPG? Neat.

Then I tried it. The RPG elements were fine, but the gunplay just felt really low impact to me and I found myself getting bored rather quickly. Plus I wasn't able to find any variety in locations, not that I magically played through the entire world in a few days, but no matter where I went it felt like more of the same.

I was disappointed, in short. :(

• 3 months later...

In commemoration of me beating normal and being able to start the real game on elite:

xirkurei.png

This is Xirkurei. He's a guardian. He's a fucking beast. He'll almost never be used again because normal mode is a joke.

xirkurei1.png

Long before I beat the game, but it was a good looking armor set.

xirkurei2.png

Without the helmet. There's a reason he's got red hair but that has to do with the name. (Old RO story)

xirku.png

This is Xirku. She'll be my first elite character. Main reasons for switching to a female character include: 1) I play female characters a little more than half the time. 2) With full armor the male model takes up too much of the screen and this doesn't help when small but strong mobs are rushing me. I need to be able to see to kill.

Her name also holds significance to me, same reason Xirkurei does. Also if you couldn't tell the name Xirku came first and then Xirkurei. And here's a hint: If it wasn't already taken Xirkurei's name would have been Kurei. (Again, old RO story)