Sonic 2 - Sky Chase (Trance mix)

Limes

That intro background synth sounds a little too gritty (saw-like) to me. Otherwise I like your synth choices and the effects you use. That background sound as the song ends just sounds staticy though...I would get rid of that completely.

If you're going for trance, you're lacking some of the key elements of the genre. Firstly, like Rayza said, the tempo is unusually slow for trance. Also, trance kicks tend to have more presence, particularly in the bass.

As far as arrangement goes, this is very creative. It definitely doesnt sound generic or too repetitive to me. You really interpret the source, but I can still clearly hear the Sky Chase in there, so kudos to you on that. Refine this some more, and keep up the good work.

i think the only time this slow a tempo would be used in dance tempo were if it were put to vocals of some kind. However, i think its a personal preference, and just because its trance doesnt mean it has to be set to a dance bpm. Personally, the bpm didnt feel inappropriate, instead it feels thoughtful and something to be listened to when taking ones time.

I think maybe the outro might need some work tho.

The eq is great by the way. You get 2 thumbs up from me. :)

Alright, 1st update:

http://sppppk.googlepages.com/Skychase2.1.mp3

Based on what you guys said, I:

- Upped tempo slightly to 127 (don't really like it much higher)

- Filtered the opening pad to make it less "saw-like"

- Changed the gate near the ending to something different

- Changed around the last 20 seconds to try and do something about the background noise

Otherwise, I just made a bunch of EQ tweaks and messed around with some more automation. A couple of really minor changes in the arrangement, too.

I'm probably going to compress the kick a little more, didn't do it this time around because apparently I've been listening to this with the bass boosted.

I guess that's it for now, thanks everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds pretty run of the mill for Trance, which could be good, or bad...

Seems to me like the build might be a little slow. The good Trance tracks I've heard always seemed to have heavy layering as a common denominator. You achive this near the end, but it's kinda booring up until then. The best trance type track I've heard on OCR is Icon by Binster (if you need some inspiration).