Graphics card Q

zircon

This is my current graphics card.

# ASUS, EN7600GS SILENT/HTD, GeForce™ 7600 GS, 512MB DDR2, PCIe x16 SLI, VGA+DVI, TV-Out, Retail

On my e6600 computer tweaked for performance, 10K RPM hard drive, and 2GB of RAM, I experienced fairly low framerates in UT2k3 and Hellgate London at the normal settings. Not surprising as I don't think my card is top of the line. However, one thing that is abysmal is the input lag. The mouse lag in both games is just AWFUL until the actual gameplay begins and I can increase mouse sensitivity... but even then, it is just not great.

How good IS my graphics card, exactly? Is there an upgrade I can get for <$200 that would be worth it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143114

Go nuts with it.

IMO I have not seen any advantage to having 512 over 256 in gfx cards. From what I've noticed it's just added padding to make them look good.

EditL I just noticed on the comments it stated that it can't do AA which made me say WTF!?

So... Upon further searching here's a good one under $200 -->http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143112

If you could possibly wait a few more days and spend a few more dollars, the 8800GT (g92 @ 65nm) looks to be a helluva bang-for-buck mid-range card. 512MB comes in at a hundred USD less than the 640MB GTSes (at pre-order prices) but with nearly 10% higher performance.

I guess it could just be me, but I'd think with that computer and card, you shouldn't have ANY problems with UT2K3 (don't know about hellgate), especially on normal settings. I'd wager something's wrong with the system. Do you have the latest graphics drivers? Have you tried reinstalling them in a while?

Also, do you have any programs to monitor your temperatures (i.e. speedfan I think it's called)? If so, can you post them while running one of the games?

It's somewhat rare but try this tweak in the case it's a pagepool issue

- - -

Start Menu > Run > regedit

Surf down to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

Double click on "PagedPoolSize". Hexadecimal is listed first. Change the "Value Data" to one of these below:

(Note: You only need to enter EITHER Hexadecimal or Decimal. They both are the same.)

Megabytes Hexadecimal Decimal

192Mb 0c000000 201326592

256Mb 10000000 268435456

384Mb 18000000 402653184

personal - I went with the 384Mb option

Once I was done I made sure to reboot my computer.

--- --- ---

I had to use that tweak when my source games would crash if I had placed the vid quality settings on mid to high. Something to do with DirectX I suppose. When I did that, my source games ran flawlessly and beautifully on high quality...

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 3GHz P4, 2GB DDR and an ASUS 6800GT. For whatever reason, I'm getting pretty crappy framerates in most games. Most notably, F.E.A.R., which I've played and beat on this same computer a few months ago, is hardly even playable, even on the lowest settings. What could be wrong? I realize my computer isn't top shit, but it should still be keeping up, and it really isn't (or isn't really). Last time I did a full reinstall of windows and all was about 6 months ago. Could it be that the cpu fan doesn't really connect to the cpu or something? Or that I've gone from a CRT to an LCD monitor?

EDIT: Lol... this chart is rather disturbing: http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html - apparently, an 8500 gets beat by a 7300, despite having higher clock frequency and twice the RAM. The same 7300, and the 8500, beat the hot version of the 7300 (7300 TC), which has more MHz than either of them. WTF? Furthermore, and as was said, the 8800 GT with 256 MB RAM beats the 8800 GT with 512 MB by a considerable FPS percentage. Again, WTF? I can, however, see that my own graphics card does not fare well in the competition, though it, too, is better than the 8500. I guess anything less than an 8800 *input random abbreviation* isn't worth the money.

EDIT: Lol... this chart is rather disturbing: http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html - apparently, an 8500 gets beat by a 7300, despite having higher clock frequency and twice the RAM. The same 7300, and the 8500, beat the hot version of the 7300 (7300 TC), which has more MHz than either of them. WTF? Furthermore, and as was said, the 8800 GT with 256 MB RAM beats the 8800 GT with 512 MB by a considerable FPS percentage. Again, WTF? I can, however, see that my own graphics card does not fare well in the competition, though it, too, is better than the 8500. I guess anything less than an 8800 *input random abbreviation* isn't worth the money.

The 8800GT isn't on the chart (you might be looking at the 8800GTS 320MB and 640MB), but is definitely the card to get these days.

That said I actually have an 8500GT ($50 after rebate), but even being a bottom-end card it runs everything I need it to (emulators and HL2) quite well.

Well, HL2 doesn't actually need that much juice considering how awesome it looks. M2TW, on the other hand, needs a lot more than it deserves... plus, if you want to play newer games, you might want a newer card, so you can actually enjoy the new effects. Meh. I'll need to upgrade my cpu pretty soon anyway, so no point in getting a new card until I've done that, I guess. But then I'll need a new motherboard for the new cpu, and then I'll need new ram... bleh. Might as well get a new case while I'm at it. And a new burner. Come to think of it, my hard drive is feeling kinda small...

zircon, I'm the same way with my 7800GTX. I'd say either wait on UT2007, or get an 8800GT for $250. As far as multiplayer shooters go, TF2 should tide you over until the DX10 cards become the "standard" instead of the "upgrade".

But seriously game devlopers, my 3 Ghz processor and 7800 should be able to run UT2007 and CoD4 at bottom settings with a decent framerate. I've tried the 2007 demo, and it not only looks terrible for me (part of this is that I don't like the new art direction), but also manages to run like crap.

Just to everyone with a Pentium 4 or Pentium D in this thread, don't expect them to be able to keep up anymore. Especially with the Core 2 now being the benchmark, the Netburst architecture is falling behind, and fast.

For under or around $200, I would go with the 8800GT or the Radeon HD38070/3850 if you can find either.