Looking for a specific sound, and can't construct it...

Rivek

I'm messing around with a trance track for a few hours now, and I'm trying to get a certain bass synth sound that I can't seem to get... I want it to be something that slightly glides in from nowhere, an eight note after the beat, an example being the bassline on the Alice Deejay song "Better off Alone".

I'm using a single square wave with low attack and release, high sustain, and a LP24 with a low cutoff. Portamento and Legato are enabled on the synth I'm using. What more can I do to get a cool, glide-y, off-beat sound?

Yeah, I realized when I listened to the song shortly after posting the thread that the actual playing of the bass is staccato. I guess the part about it that made it "glide-y" in my own mind was how it picks up the low end when the kick is silent.

Apparently then, what I'm looking for is that beefy timbre it has. I need more punchiness... would adding an EQ boost to the low and mids help that? Maybe some distortion?