OiNK is dead

herograw

official:

http://www.ifpi.org/content/section_news/20071023.html

other:

http://www.thisisthenortheast.co.uk/display.var.1779471.0.police_swoop_to_close_down_illegal_website.php

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/7057812.stm

http://in.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idINIndia-30120020071023

Well, that was just a matter of time. I'd like to note, however, that the articles are incorrect about many aspects of the site in general. I will list the inconsistencies if anyone is interested.

One thing I will say is that it's funny how much the article focuses on OiNK's distribution of prerelease albums (totaling 60 this year) as though that was the main function of the site. I'm sure the hundreds of thousands of users didn't come to the site for, say, the million other music, application, ebook, or sound library torrents on the site, all of consistently high quality.

Meh, no huge loss...I've never been impressed with the music offerings on oink.

RoooooooFL of course not.

Was it because they didn't truly have a wide selection of music? Wait, no. I even recall seeing "Antigravity" on there (no, I didn't download, thank you).

Huh, maybe it had to do with poor quality? Unlikely; they pretty much had 3 to 4 different copies of each album in varying quality running the gamut from 192kbps to lossless which, if you enjoy music from ocremix, should be enough.

Okay, maybe your dislike had to do with torrent speeds. Then, again, considering I could start and finish an album before iTunes loaded, that's probably not the case.

Maybe you just didn't like it because it's somehow cool in this day and age to not like something that's obviously and undeniably good at what it does, regardless of where it stands morally.

Was it because they didn't truly have a wide selection of music? Wait, no. I even recall seeing "Antigravity" on there (no, I didn't download, thank you).

Huh, maybe it had to do with poor quality? Unlikely; they pretty much had 3 to 4 different copies of each album in varying quality running the gamut from 192kbps to lossless which, if you enjoy music from ocremix, should be enough.

Okay, maybe your dislike had to do with torrent speeds. Then, again, considering I could start and finish an album before iTunes loaded, that's probably not the case.

Maybe you just didn't like it because it's somehow cool in this day and age to not like something that's obviously and undeniably good at what it does, regardless of where it stands morally.

Now...I'm not sure if you decided to combat his sarcasm with more sarcasm or you missed his completely...

Regardless, OiNK was pretty sweet and it'll surely be missed. Definitely not the end of the world, though.

Now...I'm not sure if you decided to combat his sarcasm with more sarcasm or you missed his completely...

Regardless, OiNK was pretty sweet and it'll surely be missed. Definitely not the end of the world, though.

nah, I just sort of used it as an excuse to voice what I liked about oink :P

Besides, his words didn't hint at sarcasm. Perhaps one would know Bahamut was being sarcastic due to previous situations in which he said something similar, but to be truthful I'm still trying to figure out who he is and how exactly he became a mod.

I've heard soooo many people say pretty much exactly what he said, being totally serious about it. Generally, these people prefer slsk.

Well, it was 2 years ago or so when I checked it out, and it kinda sucked back then - I could find everything on it back then easily elsewhere. Maybe it improved since then, I have no idea. I dislike the idea of private trackers to begin with.

Well, it was 2 years ago or so when I checked it out, and it kinda sucked back then - I could find everything on it back then easily elsewhere. Maybe it improved since then, I have no idea. I dislike the idea of private trackers to begin with.

I like private trackers. Mostly because that's the only way to make sure uploaded stuff is actually seeded. when I search pirate bay all the obscure stuff has NO SEEDERS. sure if I want that crappy simpsons movie I have five sources, but I don't.

When you can't find what you want on torrents, DC++ is usually the way to go.

Yeah, Direct Connect has been my filesharing method of choice for a long time, although I haven't used it much as of late. I'm somewhat out of the loop with filesharing, since I've been on a Macbook for the past year or so...although I just got a 1 TB hard drive, which I aim to fill with music in the next few months.

anyway, this discussion is highly illegal isn't it? :D

We're not linking any illegal content :P - not to mention not all filesharing is illegal