OCR00848 - Mega Man 2 "Metal Man Goes Clubbing"

Disco Dan

Mega Man 2 'Metal Man Goes Clubbing'

Well djp did a really good job of summing this up using really big words, and since it's my tune I'm going to abstain from saying anything about this just now. However, if you ARE used to my past tunes that involve a wider variety of instruments, this is a bit difference as it stays PRETTY close to a straight trance feel instead of my usual "mixed" stylings. Enjoy, or don't. Your call.

DC

YES! YES! YES!!! Finally, a nice and long rendition of the almighty Metal Man theme!! DJ Pretzel mentions the sound hybridization at 1:26, and I really enjoy how Disco Dan did this, it complements the repetitious theme in the background quite well. Thank you so much for bestowing this gem upon us!

I really like this. It is techno/trance done well, an you don't hear it done well too tremendously often. Good job!

This would make excellent racing game music. In fact, after I am finished typing this missive, I am going to load the tune onto my Xbox's hard drive so I can listen to it while I play MotoGP. Even though it is Megaman 2, it fits perfectly with that game as well. Keep it up!

Why is it that lead dance synths always seem off-key to me? Especially here. Is that like the trend or something?

Besides that, I like the arrangement. The samples are all very good. And of course, if you're making trance it is going to be repetitive, (so sue me if I don't like too much repetition). At least, I like repetition if it leads to somewhere.

There are only a few trance songs I will ever like because most of them are extremely repetitive and are totally carried by some super-uber-professional quality drumloop/drumset. However, Discodan always, ALWAYS expands on the melody. This is much more than typical generic trance. I love the saw wave and what was done with the strings. Good trance-style songs dont come around too often, so pick this one up. No wait, pick all his songs up, duh.

Normally I dislike anything that even slightly resembles trance music, though this mix is certainly an exception.

The arrangement in this piece is fantastic, and the repetition is more than acceptable because there's so many minute alterations in the background, many of which only become noticeable during repeated listens.

At about 2:58, it becomes quite apparent that this is the work of DiscoDan, as he uses an effect very similar to the one used throughout his SnakeManGetDown mix. This is indeed a mix of great quality.

Download this. Now. It owns all who hear it, it owns all who have heard it, and it will own yew. This is one of the coolest remixes I've ever heard. I like it even better than AE's metalman remix (mainly because this one is good the whole way through, as opposed to AE's where it kicked total ass about until 1:30. ~_~;;)

Anyways, Metalman was my favorite megaman song (except for snakeman, DOWNLOAD DISCO DAN'S SNAKEMAN REMIX, TOO!) and also my favorite level from my favorite NES megaman!

To sum it all up, this remix just PWNZ.

Bottom Line: A solid Mega Man mix that stays faithful to the original - think of it as a major upgrade to the original tune.

The Good: This ReMix does something that I highly respect - it captures the spirit of the game. That's not the only thing it does well, though - it's also very well sequenced and shows a significant degree of technical prowess.

The Bad: Nothing about this ReMix was "bad," but I would have liked to see more build-up and variations on the melody. That's just me, though - and I have to admit that Mega Man tunage is so good already that there really isn't all that much you can mess around with.

Why is it that lead dance synths always seem off-key to me? Especially here. Is that like the trend or something?

Actually that trance lead is standard in most of these trance songs and it breaks down like thus:

The trance lead is made up of 3 or more saw leads. The middle one is usually in tune, but the other two are usually detuned up and down from the middle one, so it's essentially three saw waves detuned from each other, so yes, it IS out of tune, but I think the idea is that with three different saw waves and one of them IN tune that they'll cancel each other out. Took me forever to get this to sound "stereotypical" though. But yeah, your ears aren't deceiving you, it IS out of tune, in BOTH directions. Anyway, hope that clears something up.

DC

When I first came to this site back in February or March of this year, MegaMan 3 songs were the first ones I checked out. Out of all the many, many songs, discodan's were my favorites, so I was ecstatic to see a new song by him, and it didn't let me down. Classic. The one minor thing I didn't like was the repeated ending, it just didn't sound right.

This is a GREAT, GREAT song. It's similar to AE's rendition of the same theme, but this one has strings in the background, a less prominent drum beat, and is also more trance-like. While I admit to being a sucker for Trance, this is especially good trance. I can't really decide which is better, but I can definitely tell you this: GET THIS SONG.

Actually that trance lead is standard in most of these trance songs and it breaks down like thus:

The trance lead is made up of 3 or more saw leads. The middle one is usually in tune, but the other two are usually detuned up and down from the middle one, so it's essentially three saw waves detuned from each other, so yes, it IS out of tune, but I think the idea is that with three different saw waves and one of them IN tune that they'll cancel each other out. Took me forever to get this to sound "stereotypical" though. But yeah, your ears aren't deceiving you, it IS out of tune, in BOTH directions. Anyway, hope that clears something up.

I'm familiar with what detuning is, but the overall key here still sounded a bit off to me. Perhaps the higher parts of the detune needed to be louder? Mostly what I heard was the lower parts, I think.

Nevertheless, it is still pretty cool. I was just wondering about that.

Definetely a remix worth dancing to, makes me reminisce about how I used to play this game. Great sound and something you can dance to for a while considering the songs length is 5:21. It could lead to confusion with some of AE's remixes since you and AE both have done some techno remixes of Mega Man music. They also seem to follow the same pattern when the song is played. Keep it up Danny boy!

good mix, but the beginning could have used a little more originality; it sounds a lot like AEs mix, but then, it is also (a recreation of) the sound on the NES, so maybe im just a retard...

i do like the saw wave synth deal. you did a good job stereotyping. :roll: OverAll, i like. goot werk, Dan! now, if i could just DL the rest. bloody thing cut off at 4:21...

• 2 weeks later...
but the beginning could have used a little more originality; it sounds a lot like AEs mix
Yeah, did anybody else notice that this remix starts EXACTLY the same way as AE's remix?

I don't know why I always feel the need to defend myself, but here goes anyway.

The date for creation on my file, metalman.mid is:

Friday, May 04, 2001 10:17:28 PM

The post date for AE's Metalman is:

2001-06-15 (I don't know when the file was actually created on his HD)

I had started this mix about a month before hearing AE's mix. And actually if the old forums were still around (which is what was around when this mix was posted) you'd see that I addressed this in my review, stating something to the effect of "weird, I've started a metalman mix that begins exactly the same way." Now, as a few of you know, I've recently been going back and updating my old mm3 and mm2 mixes with newer, cleaner, more 'professional' sounding samples, and so the metalman you hear on this site is (in regards to the notes used) the same metalman mix I wrote back then, but with better sounds.

So in all reality, the most probable case is (seeing as AE and I hadn't spoken up to that point, and I certainly wasn't on his "have this person review my WIP" list) that AE and I, after hearing the same original song, had the same idea for initial inspiration. Granted we took it, from that point on, in two very different directions, but the initial inspiration for that creepy solo saw effect was exactly the same.

And as for our styles as a whole, I'd have to say that AE and I differ significantly. AE plays with the melody much more than I do. He cuts his songs to a degree far above my beat-breaking calibre. He takes the song in directions that I wouldn't dare, and if you're looking for a standard break down of his songs, it's like this, (ith the exception of "With the Quickness"):

Intro, melody (maybe repeat), percussion breakdown (lots of beat splicing and dicing), return of melody and outro.

I'm more traditional with my methods of varying including layering and isolating parts, and sometimes soloing a part, but I generally don't do as much with a song as AE does. Anyway, hope that cleared things up.

DC

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00848 - Mega Man 2 "Metal Man Goes Clubbing"