IS Blood on the Asphalt the soundtrack for SF2HD?

dsx100

I'm very glad "Narcissism" made it in. When I first heard it, I knew it would be a perfect BGM (minus the lyrics of course). After watching the videos, I must say it really does fit in well. Thats definately music I can fight to. I hope an instrumental version of "Thank You DeeJay" makes it in as well.

Excuse me mate but wht is wrong wid Jose's lyrics? See I don't understand the criticism of Jose's Vega music. I think its absolutely beautiful. The world NNEEEEDDSS hip-hop ok?!

in this day, you can leave baskets of food on people's porch, and people would still find something to bitch about.

Ya'know I really appreciate the offer and all, but I'm really just not a fruit person...and even if I were, I mean...apricots and mangos just really aren't my top choice for fruit. You could've have gone more generic like apples and bananas? Or even strawberries. That way I could've at least made a fricken smoothy. This is like the left overs from the "no one wants" bin.

What does SF2HD stand for?

Street Fighter 2 High Definition, I think?

And I actually couldn't tell whether Jose's lyrics were there in the video. I'm disappointed to hear that they had to be cut. ): Although if I remember it had some cursing, right, so I can understand why.

It'll be exciting to hear all the finished tracks. Don't hold up the release, guys. ;)

Excuse me mate but wht is wrong wid Jose's lyrics? See I don't understand the criticism of Jose's Vega music. I think its absolutely beautiful. The world NNEEEEDDSS hip-hop ok?!

I hope I didn't make it seem like I dislike the lyrics. That wasn't my intention at all. They are good and I love the original songs but as BGMs, songs with lyrics don't work well. I mean how often do you play a fighting game with a BGM that has lyrics. It just doesn't fit that well. However, even if the song had included the lyrics, it would still be pretty awsome.

Ya'know I really appreciate the offer and all, but I'm really just not a fruit person...and even if I were, I mean...apricots and mangos just really aren't my top choice for fruit. You could've have gone more generic like apples and bananas? Or even strawberries. That way I could've at least made a fricken smoothy. This is like the left overs from the "no one wants" bin.

exactly, amirite? lawl

:mrgreen:

Psh, don't see why anyone's against doing it for free. It opens up doors for all that did music for the game.

Networking and connections, friends.

All that's valid, and I'm not "against" people making music for free if that's what they want to do. Hell, I'm here at this site.

I would, however, hate to see a trend where companies start to outsource work to their fans. With the threshold for making quality work relatively low (well, much lower than it used to be), a lot of people can jump onto the high-end amateur bandwagon. These companies can take their pick of free quality material, using the excuse "Hey, it's BY the fans" to shield themselves from criticism. Really, how can you lose?

Plus, networking in this particular context is not as valuable, as I'm not sure how many people involved in this project are looking to pursue the music industry professionally.

There's been mention of the choice of either remixed or original tracks as an option in the game - any idea if there will be an option to select which stages have remixed tracks play, and which have original tracks playing? As for the lyrical debate... one must remember that the people posting on this forum are but a subset of videogame music remix fans, who themselves are a subset of music fans and videogame fans. To call a song remixed by anyone here "crap" is silly, of course, but by the same token to think less of someone who would prefer to hear non-hip-hop, or non-techno, or non-whatever-other-genres-one-cares-to-name is equally foolish.

Many of the songs on this site could quite easily replace their original versions in the games they're from, and most would agree that the replacement was superior - but part of the purpose of some of the other tracks here is to take that song out of the game and change it in ways so that it would quite simply no longer be suitable. Look to JJT's F-Zero piano pieces. They're (IMO) brilliant works, and to me they're infinitely superior to the original tracks. However, when I play F-Zero, I want to hear the originals, or perhaps I'd want to hear the guitar arrange versions instead. Of course, there are some who'd disagree, and would prefer the piano in the game.

Similarly, much of BotA's soundtrack is urban in its design, and that's not everyone's favourite genre. Much like classical, it seems to divide people more than many other genres. Some of it won't fit in a 2D fighter like SF, KoF, GG, or the like. Some may think it an insult to tell a composer or musician that their music doesn't belong somewhere - but I believe it's equally insulting to tell them that their work is safe and inoffensive and nicely fall into the background of anything, anywhere. Jose should not feel offended that some believe his music, especially his lyrics, don't fit in SSF2THD, because I don't think he set out to make "Spitting is Narcissism" a mere subsitute for a CPS2/QSound bgm file.

All that's valid, and I'm not "against" people making music for free if that's what they want to do. Hell, I'm here at this site.

I would, however, hate to see a trend where companies start to outsource work to their fans. With the threshold for making quality work relatively low (well, much lower than it used to be), a lot of people can jump onto the high-end amateur bandwagon. These companies can take their pick of free quality material, using the excuse "Hey, it's BY the fans" to shield themselves from criticism. Really, how can you lose?

Plus, networking in this particular context is not as valuable, as I'm not sure how many people involved in this project are looking to pursue the music industry professionally.

actually, this is a very valid topic for future consideration, IMO. this is indeed a great step forward for OCR, but i PERSONALLY sure as hell hope that it's not the start of a long trend of companies wanting free soundtracks.

i'm happy as can be that i'm contributing to a major game title, but i'm not happy at the idea that the industry could potentially exploit the act. "Oh, we'll just get these fans to do this for free--they're suckers, and it'll save us a ton of money!"

granted this seems a pessimistic perception--i honestly don't mean for it to sound that way, but it doesn't hurt to consider possibilities BEFORE they arise.

again, and quite officially, i'm really happy to be part of this project, and since this IS in fact a groundbreaking event, i'm not concerned or troubled about "doing it for free" in this instance. :)

Everything I've heard from Dave to this point tells me he and his "L.L.C." have really gone out of their way legally to do right by us artists re: use of this music (and proper credit for it) specifically on this game release, and that we may be taken care of in the case of any future use of the music outside of the game and its promotion. If other companies from here on out do the same thing and somehow jerk the artists around one way or another, you couldn't blame it on ocremix. We'll be alright; always remember, we ourselves were never on the firmest legal ground with what we do. There has to be good faith somewhere on this planet. ;-)

Now back to my Rocket Knight challenge...

actually, this is a very valid topic for future consideration, IMO. this is indeed a great step forward for OCR, but i PERSONALLY sure as hell hope that it's not the start of a long trend of companies wanting free soundtracks.

i'm happy as can be that i'm contributing to a major game title, but i'm not happy at the idea that the industry could potentially exploit the act. "Oh, we'll just get these fans to do this for free--they're suckers, and it'll save us a ton of money!"

granted this seems a pessimistic perception--i honestly don't mean for it to sound that way, but it doesn't hurt to consider possibilities BEFORE they arise.

again, and quite officially, i'm really happy to be part of this project, and since this IS in fact a groundbreaking event, i'm not concerned or troubled about "doing it for free" in this instance. :)

I doubt you have to be too concerned with this... this project does set a precedent and it's a great collaboration between a large game company and a community which is not only inspired by it but supports it as well. Adding a whole bunch of superfluous people to their payroll is something they would likely simply avoid by saying "don't worry, our guys can handle the music (I'm sure they have in-house talent up to the task, opinions of their quality compared to the remixes notwithstanding).

As well, you gotta remember - when it comes to jobs of passion (as jobs in the entertainment arts certainly are) - competition is so fierce that if you don't agree to get paid little or nothing when you're starting out, you can be sure that there could be dozens - if not hundreds or thousands - of aspiring artists or fans that would take that opportunity in a heartbeat.

It's infuriating and perhaps in the large scheme of things unfair. But It's the way companies work. It's still a great step forward in terms of collaboration, community involvement in the game development process, and a company reaching out to its fans in a big way.

• 3 months later...
I still lurketh...

I've been following this whole thing for a while now and I've been searching for anything, be it confirmation, rumour, wild speculation or just mindless burbling of my track being included in game.

Still, I live in hope.

Sorry man, but I'm pretty sure that if you haven't been contacted about it by now, your track isn't going to be used.