OCR01635 - Chrono Trigger "Gale of Ages"

djpretzel

Very nice. I particularly enjoy the segment at 1:23-2:02. The ending leaves sorta unresolved, but in a way that I can appreciate as a creative decision. I would have liked to hear a more...frugal...use of the sustain pedal. That combined with the reverb and the warm piano tone gave the piece a mushy quality at times. Overall though, a very enjoyable listen. Thanks Susie!

Gotta agree with Harmony about 1:23 to 2:02. I really enjoyed that part of the arrangement. I actually enjoyed the ending. It kind left you hanging but I thought it fit in the context. Although it would have been really interesting to see more development on that little piano lick used for the ending. Always good to hear new muziks from BogusRed! :)

Pop piano arrangement. There are a couple of good moments, but for the most part, I feel like I'm listening to aural cheese. It's still better than most of the piano stuff that gets posted, though, and it's not so bad that I couldn't make it through the whole thing (which is becoming increasingly common).

EDIT: This piano arrangement is actually good, and I'm sorry for being an asshole to you. My comments were thoroughly unproductive, and I apologize for that.

Edited by oakthielbar
I was an asshole

I'm surprised that sources like this just keep on being translated into interesting arrangements. This is nice. The way you play around with the melody is really creative. I thought the syncopated bass from 1:07-1:22 was a good idea, but the staccato (staccatissimo?) made it sound a bit unusual. As others have pointed out, 1:23-2:03 is especially good. It would have been cool if it went on a bit longer, but I like this fine anyways (-:

You know what's not fair about pieces like this? They're NEVER long enough. This song is truly beautiful; granted, many Wind Scene arrangements are, but this one has some of the most interesting takes on the theme I have heard in a long time.

The ending is gorgeous, which makes the song ending all the more painful. *cries*

--Jack Kieser

I would have liked to hear a more...frugal...use of the sustain pedal. That combined with the reverb and the warm piano tone gave the piece a mushy quality at times.

That and at first I thought it was waaaay too similar to klutz's remix of this theme, though you varied it up much more after the intro so I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't a blatant ripoff or anything :D

Overall I think it's pretty good and yea, would have been nicer if it was longer.

Wind Scene is one of the few songs I can play on piano. I based the version I play off of klutz's version, but eventually started to change it up. And I was pretty surprised to hear the way you changed your style at 1:05 - it's very similar to what I did with the song. Only, of course, you pull it off well, while I sound like some shmuck who hasn't had any more formal piano training than what you could get in a year of elementary school and a year of Music Skills in college. :)

High fives for adding another piano rendition of 600AD!

Cool arrngement, I definitely like your interpretation of it. I also like how the piano was recorded; has a very airy, but warm feel to it. Towards the middle-end the harmonies really got complex. I wouldve liked to see that kind of interpretation earlier on, but I guess it wouldn't have had the same effect if it wasn't gradually led up to that level of complexity. Wonderful stuff!

I've only commented on two other pieces since I first discovered OCremix in 2002, and the fact that I am commenting on this piece means I feel it is one of the best remixes I've ever heard. Completely flawless, it really stands far above anything that has been on OCR recently. Beautiful only begins to describe 'Gale of Ages'.

• 3 weeks later...

I can understand that the judges were worried about the level of arrangement up until 1:23; it's pretty much simply a piano version of the song, albeit a very good one. But once you introduce your own ideas, it all falls into place and becomes an interesting remix.

So yeah, nice one, but next time please more personalization, and make it longer.

• 4 months later...

Beautiful mix... I think it's completely tragic that the ending idea is just that; I'd have loved to hear additional interpretation on it, as that idea alone could be a substantial basis for another minute of exploration.

Regardless, this is a great rendition, and despite a touch too much reverb, a great warm piano sound.

Awesome work :-)

• 8 months later...

I'm a sucker for these incredibly well crafted piano pieces that are scattered throughout OCR.

Wind Scene, as many people would acknowledge, has been interpreted almost to death and is one of those forcibly memorable melodies that you couldn't forget even if you wanted to. While people seem to love it a lot more than I do, I am always interested to hear new takes on the theme. I strongly doubt there is anything about the actual source melody left to be discovered by me or anyone, but with mixes like this one, you can sustain an illusion of discovery. It is familiar and yet suddenly fresh and complex with added depth. An actual relationship between the source and the remix is the sign of a great mixer. Nice job.

Oh and the length and the ending didn't bother me one bit.

• 7 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01635 - Chrono Trigger "Gale of Ages"